View Full Version : Couple of Questions from a SMT5600 Newb

ShadyMark
08-28-2005, 10:37 PM
Hey guys! Got the phone a week ago and my life will never be the same. It's amazing! I have just a few questions after browsing and searching your forums:

1. I cannot locate the driver that I need to make the phone a wireless USB modem. Well . . .to be more specific, I can't figure out how to install it. I have read through all of the tutorials that people have written online. I can't locate the file on the audiovox website, but I found it on this guy's (Jason Goold I think) site. However, all that downloaded is three small files that don't seem to do anything when I double click on them. I tried searching on the forum, but I can't find anything . . . any ideas?

2. I set up gmail in my phone to check my mail. But It doesn't seem to download my most recent mail. I followed the pop instructions on the gmail website . . . and it downloads a little over 400 emails . . . but they are old, from about June. Some of them are emails I sent to other people even . . . but nothing recent, and no new emails. Any ideas there too?

3. Are there any open source, or free programs for the 5600? Any websites devoted to software like sourceforge? I keep reading about all the useful programs . . . but no one mentions cost, so I was just wondering about open source resources.

This site is really great! I am sure I will have many more questions, and I am excited to learn enough to start contributing! Thanks so much for your help!

ShadyMark
08-28-2005, 11:05 PM
OH YEAH! and one quick addition! Although I don't know if there is a solution for this. I am a frequent user of Google SMS. You send a text message to GOOGL and a response is sent back from google . . . it's great. For some reason I am not getting responses back from Google! I can't imagine why this would be, so if anyone has any theories, let me know! Thanks!

ShadyMark
08-30-2005, 07:24 PM
No Answer? Hey guys, I know these newb questions probably get old and annoying . . . if I missed something in my browsing of the forums or my searches . . .would you mind pointing me in the right direction? And if someone could just help me out with the modem driver, even if they don't have the other answers . . . Time Warner won't be here to hook up my internet for a month, I am going crazy trying to check my email here. I would really appreciate it

Mike Temporale
08-30-2005, 07:51 PM
1. I cannot locate the driver that I need to make the phone a wireless USB modem.

Check the CD that came with your phone. I can't remember where I got mine from, but I would assume it was on the CD. As for installing it, I think you just double click the inf file or something like that.

2. I set up gmail in my phone to check my mail. But It doesn't seem to download my most recent mail. I followed the pop instructions on the gmail website . . . and it downloads a little over 400 emails . . . but they are old, from about June. Some of them are emails I sent to other people even . . . but nothing recent, and no new emails. Any ideas there too?

Sorry, I don't check my gmail from my phone. So I haven't a clue as to why you're having problems. When you set it up on your phone pick something like the last 3 days or so of messages. It could be that you are pulling down too many messages.

3. Are there any open source, or free programs for the 5600? Any websites devoted to software like sourceforge? I keep reading about all the useful programs . . . but no one mentions cost, so I was just wondering about open source resources.

Tons, just search around. We post software to the front page all the time, some of it is free, other times it isn't. Check out different online stores, as some people upload their free application there too.

Hope that helps. 8)

Mike Temporale
08-30-2005, 07:53 PM
OH YEAH! and one quick addition! Although I don't know if there is a solution for this. I am a frequent user of Google SMS. You send a text message to GOOGL and a response is sent back from google . . . it's great. For some reason I am not getting responses back from Google! I can't imagine why this would be, so if anyone has any theories, let me know! Thanks!

No idea. Google SMS service isn't available where I am. Have you tested your phone to see if it's all SMS or just the ones from Google?

Mike Temporale
08-30-2005, 07:55 PM
No Answer? Hey guys, I know these newb questions probably get old and annoying . . .

I think you'll get a better response with a subject line that's a little more descriptive, and maybe less questions per thread. Just a suggestion. ;)

ShadyMark
08-31-2005, 05:45 AM
First off, thanks for all the responses!

Check the CD that came with your phone. I can't remember where I got mine from, but I would assume it was on the CD. As for installing it, I think you just double click the inf file or something like that.

Yeah, there is some kind of USB .inf file when I explore the CD . . . although it only opens a text file. There are no executable files nearby to try out. Damn. Also, trying to search the CD with the Windows hardware wizard searching the CD does nothing . . . bummer. The search continues.

Sorry, I don't check my gmail from my phone. So I haven't a clue as to why you're having problems. When you set it up on your phone pick something like the last 3 days or so of messages. It could be that you are pulling down too many messages.

Thanks for the suggestion! . . . tried that too . . strike out unfortunately. How weird . . .

Tons, just search around. We post software to the front page all the time, some of it is free, other times it isn't. Check out different online stores, as some people upload their free application there too.
Hope that helps. 8)

Thanks a bunch! I really appreciate the answers!

I think you'll get a better response with a subject line that's a little more descriptive, and maybe less questions per thread. Just a suggestion. Wink

Dude! Thanks for the info . . . had no idea, next time I will be more kosher with the forum! Best advice of all! Thanks again!

Mike Temporale
08-31-2005, 10:49 AM
Yeah, there is some kind of USB .inf file when I explore the CD . . . although it only opens a text file. There are no executable files nearby to try out. Damn. Also, trying to search the CD with the Windows hardware wizard searching the CD does nothing . . . bummer. The search continues.

Right click the INF and say install. :)

Thanks for the suggestion! . . . tried that too . . strike out unfortunately. How weird . . .

Have you enabled the POP download feature on the GMAIL site? Try setting it to "mail that arrives from now on" and see how that works.

ShadyMark
09-02-2005, 05:26 AM
HOLY MOLY! Gmail thing worked! You are my savior . . . .

I left town, so I have to try the modem thing when I get back . . . bet that works too! Thanks SOOOO MUCH!!!!

OH YEAH, and the Google, SMS, I can use that on other phones . . . just not my 5600 . . . its strange cause I have been texting back and forth like a fiend . . . SMS is just not working for me . . . .hmmmm!

THANKS AGAIN!

Mike Temporale
09-02-2005, 11:06 AM
OH YEAH, and the Google, SMS, I can use that on other phones . . . just not my 5600 . . . its strange cause I have been texting back and forth like a fiend . . . SMS is just not working for me . . . .hmmmm!

Not sure about this. I thought the only requirement was that it be from a US mobile number. I haven't been able to use it, so I can't offer much on this. Sorry. Maybe there is some information on Googles website? :?