View Full Version : Mobile Users Are Less Mobile, Survey Finds

Jerry Raia
08-23-2005, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mobilepipeline.com/168601896?cid=RSSfeed' target='_blank'>http://www.mobilepipeline.com/168601896?cid=RSSfeed</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Mobility has a new, more static, meaning according to a study released Tuesday by market research firm Strategy Analytics. The study found that, in Western Europe, almost two-thirds of all wireless voice and data minutes are used either at work or at home. In addition, the study by Strategy Analytics found an increasing reliance on use of mobile phones for all manner of information, particularly among business users."</i><br /><br />My favorite sentence here is "...used either at work or at home." Last time I checked that covers just about all of it doesn't it? It isn't clear if "work" means "office" or any part of working like in the field or talking on the phone in a bathroom stall as I've heard people do on many occasions. It's a short read so check it out.

Pony99CA
08-23-2005, 05:27 PM
My favorite sentence here is "...used either at work or at home." Last time I checked that covers just about all of it doesn't it?
It certainly seems obvious, doesn't it? I suspect most people are either at work or at home for a huge portion of the day. However, unless driving, shopping, vacationing, visiting friends and so on are work, there's more than work and home (fully 1/3 of the minutes used weren't there, so "just about all" seems overstating it).

I think the point is that mobile phones used to be used almost exclusively while outside of the office and home, where you had landlines available; now people are using their cell phones at their offices and homes, too.

Steve

Jerry Raia
08-23-2005, 05:39 PM
I think the point is that mobile phones used to be used almost exclusively while outside of the office and home, where you had landlines available; now people are using their cell phones at their offices and homes, too.

Steve

Point taken and that is very true. I hadn't thought of it that way. I would say that makes us more mobile though so I should have picked on the title of the article! :lol:

Pony99CA
08-23-2005, 06:05 PM
Point taken and that is very true. I hadn't thought of it that way. I would say that makes us more mobile though so I should have picked on the title of the article! :lol:
I think the "less mobile" line means that people are using their mobile phones where they don't really need to. As I mentioned, most offices and homes have landlines, so you don't really need your cell phone there. So if people are using most of their minutes while they aren't really mobile, the mobile users are "less mobile". :-)

I'm guessing there are two underlying points here:
Cell phone plans have dropped significantly in price. For example, I make all of my long distance calls at home using my cell phone because I have "free" long distance. I can avoid an AT&amp;T bill completely by not using my landline.

It's more convenient to give out only one number. I assume some people find it easier to just give out their mobile number than their home, work and mobile numbers. Of course, if it weren't for the first point, people would give out three numbers to avoid huge bills.
Maybe this article is another sign of the impending death of landlines altogether....

Steve

Mike Temporale
08-23-2005, 06:18 PM
Certain user segments have an almost insatiable appetite for connectivity and enhanced access to critical productivity applications while at work, at home and on the move

A.K.A., the power user, or the teenager. :lol: ;)