View Full Version : Samsung Kills i645 CDMA Smartphone

Jason Dunn
08-19-2005, 11:51 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=1340' target='_blank'>http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=1340</a><br /><br /></div><i>"A Samsung spokesperson today confirmed that Samsung no longer plans to release the i645 CDMA smartphone. The i645 was to be the first Windows Mobile Smartphone with EV-DO high-speed data, and was slated to be offered by Verizon Wireless. According to the spokesperson, the decision was made jointly by Samsung and the carrier. It is believed the i645 has been replaced on Verizon's device roadmap by the Motorola Q, which also runs the Windows Mobile Smartphone platform, and is also expected in an EV-DO version."</i><br /><br />PhoneScoop reports some grim news for those of you waiting for a new CDMA Smartphone: the Samsung i645, the only CDMA Smartphone I was expecting to see anytime soon, has been cancelled. This is fairly grim news, because people on CDMA networks have had essentially no choice when it comes to Smartphones: it was the Samsung i600 or switching to a GSM network. I got to use the i645 at CES in January of this year, and it was quite a nice phone. If the reason Samsung cancelled this phone is that Verizon didn't want to carry it, the future of the CDMA Smartphone is even more grim than I thought.

Jerry Raia
08-20-2005, 12:35 AM
This is unfortunate. The main reason I left Verizon for Cingular was the lack of good devices. If there is a bright side the Q was mentioned as coming out in a CDMA flavor but this is not certain. Verizon is definitely NOT on the cutting edge when it comes to new devices. :( As an aside I always like to point out that Verizon used to be GTE (General Telephone) here in the states on the west coast at least. They were notorious for the worst service and equipment in the landline world. Perhaps some of that dinosaur philosophy remains with them today.

Mike Temporale
08-20-2005, 01:45 AM
That's too bad. The CDMA market is in desperate need of a good Smartphone and Samsung was on track to provide that.

A little more concerning, is the rate at which we are seeing Windows Mobile devices get cancelled before they see the light of day. Motorola has had 2 device for sure - MPx100 and the MPx, and then there was that Nextel phone Motorola was working on. Now Samsung cancels this phone. Those are just the ones we know about. :?

Jerry Raia
08-20-2005, 02:14 AM
I wonder if the support issues are just scaring these carriers off.

ARW
08-20-2005, 02:43 AM
I wonder if the support issues are just scaring these carriers off.

What support issues? I've only called Verizon about my i600 once and they didn't have and clue and had no trouble brushing me off.

As for a replacment, when my i600 dies I'll simply move to Cingular despite their shortcomings in coverage. Reason? I'm betting that Cingular covers the gaps in their network sooner than VZW decides that they need to provide current handset technology.

rbrome
08-20-2005, 02:57 AM
... If there is a bright side the Q was mentioned as coming out in a CDMA flavor but this is not certain. ...

Trust me, it's certain. :wink:

It's the GSM/EDGE version that is not certain - they may skip it and roll out a 3G WCDMA version later instead.

Jerry Raia
08-20-2005, 03:13 AM
I'm betting that Cingular covers the gaps in their network sooner than VZW decides that they need to provide current handset technology.

I think you are right about that. :)

ARW
08-20-2005, 05:20 AM
... If there is a bright side the Q was mentioned as coming out in a CDMA flavor but this is not certain. ...

It's the GSM/EDGE version that is not certain - they may skip it and roll out a 3G WCDMA version later instead.

CDMA w/ EV-DO is certain? I'd like to believe it but it seems counter to how things have worked in the industry til this point. If it does make it to market I can't imagine VZW will sell it until the end of 2006 at the earliest.

But please...surprise me Moto/VZW!

Kris Kumar
08-20-2005, 02:02 PM

NOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo o o o....

Why can't they have both? I don't want to switch to VZ. :-(

Kris Kumar
08-20-2005, 02:05 PM
And I don't think I understand what is going on in VZ (and Samsung's) think tank. The Moto Q and the i645 are different form factors. And serve different sets of people. I am sure a lot of us don't want keypad on our Smartphones. It is bad to stereotype Smartphones as something that require a keypad. :evil:

ARW
08-20-2005, 05:57 PM
And I don't think I understand what is going on in VZ (and Samsung's) think tank. The Moto Q and the i645 are different form factors. And serve different sets of people. I am sure a lot of us don't want keypad on our Smartphones. It is bad to stereotype Smartphones as something that require a keypad. :evil:

Totally different type of devices in my opinion as well. The Q is so large physically in comparison to a normal mobile phone that it should reallly be running the PPC OS. All I want is a traditional phone sized device that offers the functionality that Smartphone OS offers.

encece
08-20-2005, 08:26 PM
By the time Verizon goes thru their device approval process, the phones they are testing become outdated or on the verge of becoming outdated. The ugly i600 was a good example of that. It came out just as 2003 devices were coming out.

If they get the Q out in time to be relavent, I'd be surprised.

The Q is a good alternative for Blackberry users and an easier sell to businesses than traditional smartphone devices.

Microsoft seems to be beginning a long overdue push for businesses to replace Blackberrys with MS devices. Maybe this is their start.

I work for a small company of about 40 and the sales staff is now contemplating blackberrys but are trying to justify the cost of the server. A few of them already use them with POP access. Why oh why dont they just switch to exchange ready devices???? Maybe I can convince them with the Q.

Janak Parekh
08-20-2005, 09:33 PM
the future of the CDMA Smartphone is even more grim than I thought.
... and the ability of Microsoft to get the Smartphone platform out in the North Americas. :evil: Like it or not, CDMA is huge here, and if they want to have an impact on the North American mobile phone OS market they must do a better job of working with manufacturers and carriers about pushing phones like these into the channel. It's kind of pathetic, considering they're based in Seattle. :(

--janak

ina-nyminute
08-21-2005, 04:14 AM

Yes, I have both, a blackberry (nextel 7510) &amp; a mpx220, not to mention an Ipaq HP 2210.
Two different form factors, I couldn't agree more.
My problem with the mpx was I didn't want to use gsm( not to mention all the other concerns-low volume, poor quality speaker &amp; head piece), so I was very disappointed when I heard about the i645 cancellation.
I heard this news back in June 2005 from a Samsung guy but I hoped he was wrong, I guess I'll listen to that person from here on in now that his creditability has go up.
Disappointed isn't the correct word maybe I'm bordering on being mad, downright angry at Verizon.
I suppose the value of the i600 has gone up.
I really like this website though, I tend to check 2 sites every night, HoFo &amp; smartphonethoughts.

Mike Temporale
08-21-2005, 04:32 AM
I really like this website though, I tend to check 2 sites every night, HoFo &amp; smartphonethoughts.

That's a very nice compliment. Thanks! We try hard to keep you guys informed on all the latest news that's fit to print. I'm always happy to hear that someone enjoys our work. :)

Janak Parekh
08-21-2005, 04:47 AM
Debatable. The i600 is now getting rather long in the tooth, with a somewhat slow processor, mediocre battery life and no hope of getting WM5. :| I still like mine, but I don't think I'd spend the money to buy one now.

--janak

Kris Kumar
08-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Debatable. The i600 is now getting rather long in the tooth, with a somewhat slow processor, mediocre battery life and no hope of getting WM5. :| I still like mine, but I don't think I'd spend the money to buy one now.

--janak

If VZ is still offering that Smartphone, then I am sure they have a lot of dis-satisfied customers. And VZ is probably blaming the Microsoft Windows Mobile Smartphone platform for the problems. :roll:

Kris Kumar
08-21-2005, 12:43 PM
By the time Verizon goes thru their device approval process, the phones they are testing become outdated or on the verge of becoming outdated. The ugly i600 was a good example of that. It came out just as 2003 devices were coming out.

Scary thoughts. But have to admit that it can happen. I remember VZ had even delayed the WM 2003 update by almost 6-9 months.

Janak Parekh
08-21-2005, 04:12 PM
If VZ is still offering that Smartphone, then I am sure they have a lot of dis-satisfied customers.
They do, but I think the reviews are more mixed. Most people use the Smartphone to give them synced contacts, calendar, tasks, etc. In that capacity, the i600 is still a perfectly decent device, if perhaps with middling battery life. The form factor is still excellent -- there aren't that many Smartphones using any OS with a flip.

The i600's biggest problem is that it's relatively unstable compared to other Smartphones or Pocket PC Phones. I typically reboot mine once a week.

--janak

ARW
08-21-2005, 04:56 PM

Scary thoughts. But have to admit that it can happen. I remember VZ had even delayed the WM 2003 update by almost 6-9 months.

It seems quite astaounding how long it takes a phone to make it to customers hands when VZW is involved. Wouldn't it be nice to know who is really responsible for these long delays followed by substandard devices, read i600 running 2002. I've always thought it was VZW's fault, but perhaps Samsung is incompetent.

In addition to price reasons this is why I would love to see a PC sales model be adopted by the cell phone industry. I believe VZW has always claimed that their exhaustive testing is responsible for their superior performance, but I've never been able to make the connection.

Janak Parekh
08-21-2005, 05:13 PM
I believe VZW has always claimed that their exhaustive testing is responsible for their superior performance, but I've never been able to make the connection.
I'm guessing that they're doing primarily reception testing and little else, because I've found their phones to be highly varied in stability as well.

--janak

Kris Kumar
08-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to know who is really responsible for these long delays followed by substandard devices, read i600 running 2002. I've always thought it was VZW's fault, but perhaps Samsung is incompetent.

I don't think I would blame Samsung. For the Windows 2003 update, it was known that Samsung was ready almost 6 months or more, before VZ put it on its website.

And even otherwise, Samsung is known for its execution. Recently they have been doing pretty well. In the consumer electronics market space, they have been giving Sony a tough time. And the cool thing about this company is that they manufacture pretty much every single part that goes into the phone or other electronics. Like the display, memory etc.

Jerry Raia
08-22-2005, 12:16 AM
Its VZ as far as I'm concerned also. Too huge to get anything done quickly or efficiently.

ARW
08-22-2005, 01:37 AM
Its VZ as far as I'm concerned also. Too huge to get anything done quickly or efficiently.

But all the other carriers are large and inefficient too.

I guess this is why I'd like to be able to order a phone directly from the manufacturer. VZW adds no value to the transaction and in fact detracts. I still maintain they are just a pipe...hopefully some day market forces will make them realize this.

Jerry Raia
08-22-2005, 02:39 AM
VZW adds no value to the transaction and in fact detracts. I still maintain they are just a pipe...hopefully some day market forces will make them realize this.

Well put. I would say the carriers inhibit innovation. I think VZ is a champion at this.

Kris Kumar
08-22-2005, 02:57 AM
Now which is the carrier that is against Bluetooth? :?

:lol: ;-)

Janak Parekh
08-22-2005, 03:13 AM
I still maintain they are just a pipe...hopefully some day market forces will make them realize this.
The market is not ready to. They have the biggest and most available pipe. It turns out that's worth a lot, and they know it. If you go to a Verizon salesperson and ask why they're more expensive, for example, they (often rightfully) point out that their service actually works. Fortunately, Cingular, et. al. have a roadmap to catch up, but until they do VZW has no pressure to increase competitiveness in other areas.

--janak

ARW
08-22-2005, 07:18 AM
I still maintain they are just a pipe...hopefully some day market forces will make them realize this.
The market is not ready to. They have the biggest and most available pipe. It turns out that's worth a lot, and they know it. If you go to a Verizon salesperson and ask why they're more expensive, for example, they (often rightfully) point out that their service actually works. Fortunately, Cingular, et. al. have a roadmap to catch up, but until they do VZW has no pressure to increase competitiveness in other areas.

--janak

Free enterprise. Not perfect, but it eventually gets the job done. As I stated at the beginning, once Cingular adds a single tower I'm in. Number one always falls, it's just a matter of time and I don't see VZW as being the exception.

Rick Stenson
08-22-2005, 07:05 PM

NOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo o o o....

Why can't they have both? I don't want to switch to VZ. :-(

They WILL be having both versions.

Jerry Raia
08-23-2005, 12:04 AM
So Cingular will have one? This is getting me dizzy. :turn-l:

Kris Kumar
08-23-2005, 01:33 AM
They WILL be having both versions.

Thank you..thank you..thank you!

:D