View Full Version : Dust problem on the screen, anyone?

subzerohf
08-19-2005, 03:33 PM
I have dust problem on my phone. There is some dust particles beneath the glass (screen) on my SMT5600. I don't know how the dust got underneath the glass because there is no opening. The dust is definitely not on top of the glass because I could not wipe it away no matter how hard I tried. This is getting annoying, especially under sunlight, they are really apparent. :x

gib8080a
08-19-2005, 04:27 PM
Oh, no. This is what I'm afraid of. How long have you had your 5600? I've had mine for a couple of months and I've kept it both in the case and in my pocket and luckily no dust yet (knock wood).

If it's out of warranty, I seem to recall that someone can actually remove any dust under the screen and then seal the display so it doesn't happen again. Does anyone know who does this?

Mike Temporale
08-19-2005, 04:39 PM
The dust gets in through the speaker hole found by the camera button. Pocket PC techs was looking at a solution to fix this - no word on the status of it. :(

I don't have much in the way of dust, but I keep my phone in the supplied case. It seems like those who keep it in their pocket seem to have a greater dust issue than the rest of us. :?

subzerohf
08-19-2005, 05:59 PM
I do carry it in my pocket a lot. I guess I'd better change this habit and carry it on my belt instead. :? Thanks for the info, guys.

Jerry Raia
08-19-2005, 10:26 PM
I don't carry mine in my pocket but I do have some dust.

ctmagnus
08-20-2005, 06:18 AM
D'oh! I'd better start using that case.

I've either been using it naked or in a silicon case. The case has a handy cutout for the speaker, so it's not going to prevent dust from getting in.

subzerohf
08-22-2005, 04:48 AM
I came across a thread from June about getting the SMT5600's housing replaced with a new one. I don't think I need a new housing. But perhaps I can clean the dust myself...only if I know how to remove the screen or face plate. Help...anyone?

Mike Temporale
08-22-2005, 10:50 AM
But perhaps I can clean the dust myself...

It's not for everyone, and it's something that I wouldn't try and do. It would be too easy to get more dust in there or prehaps break something. :( If my phone was on it's last leg, then maybe.

If you do venture in and try it, take lots of pictures, and let us know how things turned out. ;)

Siamese
08-22-2005, 02:05 PM
The dust issue is/will be a problem for all owners of this phone.
I now have dust in my phone on the LHS of the screen, but I believe it gets in through a hole in the back rather than the speaker hole that has been suggested.
If you remove the battery cover, you can see a hole on the rhs of the battery half way down the battery. If you blow gently into this hole, the dust moves even further across the screen - fantastic design!

However, as usual, someone has managed to cure the design faults of the manufacturers. Follow this link to view instructions on how to remove the dust and then prevent it from returning.
http://www.digimission.com/?page_id=25
I found this link in http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?showtopic=7819
and although I haven't performed the surgery yet, it will be performed this evening.

Mike Temporale
08-22-2005, 02:31 PM
I believe it gets in through a hole in the back rather than the speaker hole that has been suggested.

According to Pocket PC Techs, it's not the hole under the battery. Although the hole you are referring to may also be connected, the chance to dust to get under the battery lid, and then under the battery, and ultimately through to the screen, seems like a long journey. The ear peice would provide a much easier access for dust. :) For more information, you can check out Jason's post about his dusty phone being looked at by Pocket PC Techs. http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8811

:)

subzerohf
08-22-2005, 03:34 PM
I am usually not a do-it-yourselfer. But in this case, the dust will eventually drive me nuts and I will force myself to fix it. It's great to know that it can be done and how. Thanks a lot, guys.

Jerry Raia
08-22-2005, 04:27 PM
A shame really for an otherwise fine phone. :(

Mark Larson
08-25-2005, 06:40 AM
From what i'd heard, the dust gets in from the power button. You could try sucking out the dust by forming a tight seal around the power button.

subzerohf
08-29-2005, 04:54 AM
Well, I performed the "operation" on my phone. The instructions are clear and correct. The most difficult part is to keep the screen free of dust. Remember that we are not living in a dust-free environment. The longer you have the front cover open, the more likely dust gets back in. In the end, I still have some specks of dust on the screen. So I advise anyone who wants to perform the procedure to have a more realistic expectation - you won't have 100% dust free screen. Is it worth voiding the warranty?