View Full Version : From Pocket PC to Smartphone - software alternatives...

Andy Whiteford
08-19-2005, 12:30 PM
I'm looking to move into the Smartphone world from the realm of Pocket PC although I'm not planning on ditching the Pocket PC altogether.
What I am in need of though to make the transition smoother is to find the Smartphone alternatives to the software I already use. I have listed the main software I use or have used for my Pocket PC and would be grateful if people can help me find the best smartphone equivelant. If you need info on any app then please ask......

Pocket PC Smartphone

eWallet eWallet
ListPro ListPro
TomTom 5 TomTom5
apMemo 2 ?
Word Book 3 Word Book 3
Lexipedia Lexipedia
My Converter ?
Tube Tube
vBirthday ?
tAgenda ?
BatteryPack Pro Is there a task manager in SM edition?
Conduits Timekeeper ?
SPB Imageer ?
Pocket Word ?
TO Bluetooth Keyboard TO Bluetooth Keyboard - work okay??
Mobilearn Outloud ?
SPB Weather ?
Pocket Artist ?
Dinarsoft MemMaid ?
Dinarsoft TapText ?
Resco Explorer Resco Explorer
Dinarsoft HandyMenu ?

gib8080a
08-19-2005, 02:55 PM
ListPro and eWallet have equivalent Smartphone editions. Iliumsoft has a special Add/Upgrade offer of $10 for each Smartphone version if you are a registered user of the PPC version.

As for tAgenda, SBSH has a beta of Facade that puts your appointments and tasks on the homescreen, although they are on separate tabs. Some people, including myself, have requested for an 'agenda' type view with both appointments and tasks together for each day. I have installed the beta version 0.91 on my SMT 5600 and it's been working quite well. I think it's going to be a great app since the developers seem to be very responsive to users.

Between SPThoughts' own software shop (by Smartphone.net) and Handango, you'll find most, if not all of what's available for the smartphone.

Hope you find all the SP equivalents in your list (that's a long list!).

Andy Whiteford
08-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the reply - no matter what I do I can't get the formatting of my list to show properly - I have listed items where there is a Smartphone equivelant.
Facade looks very good - similar to tAgenda so that will be one of the first things I try out I imagine. Is it customisable? It would be great if you could have the date, time and subject all on the same line for Agenda to save space.

Mike Temporale
08-19-2005, 04:12 PM
no matter what I do I can't get the formatting of my list to show properly - I have listed items where there is a Smartphone equivelant.

How's this: ;)

<table align="center" width=50% border=1 cellspacing=1 cellpadding=1><tr><td>Pocket PC </td><td>Smartphone</td></tr><tr><td>eWallet</td><td>eWallet</td></tr><tr><td>ListPro</td><td>ListPro</td></tr><tr><td>TomTom 5</td><td>TomTom5</td></tr><tr><td>apMemo 2</td><td>?</td></tr><tr><td>Word Book 3</td><td>Word Book 3</td></tr><tr><td>Lexipedia</td><td>Lexipedia</td></tr><tr><td>My Converter</td><td>?</td></tr><tr><td>Tube</td><td>Tube</td></tr><tr><td>vBirthday </td><td>?</td></tr><tr><td>tAgenda</td><td>?</td></tr><tr><td>BatteryPack Pro</td><td>Is there a task manager in SM edition?</td></tr><tr><td>Conduits Timekeeper</td><td>?</td></tr><tr><td>SPB Imageer </td><td>?</td></tr><tr><td>Pocket Word</td><td>?</td></tr><tr><td>TO Bluetooth Keyboard</td><td>TO Bluetooth Keyboard - work okay??</td></tr><tr><td>Mobilearn Outloud</td><td>?</td></tr><tr><td>SPB Weather</td><td>?</td></tr><tr><td>Pocket Artist </td><td>?</td></tr><tr><td>Dinarsoft MemMaid</td><td>?</td></tr><tr><td>Dinarsoft TapText</td><td>?</td></tr><tr><td>Resco Explorer</td><td>Resco Explorer</td></tr><tr><td>Dinarsoft HandyMenu</td><td>?</td></tr></table>

Andy Whiteford
08-19-2005, 06:21 PM
Showing off a bit but not bad! ;)
Seriously, thanks for making that more legible. Anymore software tips?

Mike Temporale
08-19-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm not too familiar with all of those applications. However some of them might not have a Smartphone cousin. Things like Pocket Artist, there's no touch screen on the Smartphone, so I don't know how well a program like this would be. I think there is something out there to do it, but I can't recall the name or how good it is.

Mike Temporale
08-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Here's my thoughts. These are only suggestions, there might be other applications that can do the same thing too. I'm not sure what the rest of these programs do, so I can't really offer much info on that. Hope it helps.

<table align="center" width=75% border=1 cellspacing=1 cellpadding=1><tr><td>Pocket PC </td><td>Smartphone</td></tr><tr><td>eWallet</td><td>eWallet</td></tr><tr><td>ListPro</td><td>ListPro</td></tr><tr><td>TomTom 5</td><td>TomTom5</td></tr><tr><td>apMemo 2</td><td>?</td></tr><tr><td>Word Book 3</td><td>Word Book 3</td></tr><tr><td>Lexipedia</td><td>Lexipedia</td></tr><tr><td>My Converter</td><td>Fizz Traveller (http://www.smartphone.net/smartphonethoughts/software_detail.asp?id=216)</td></tr><tr><td>Tube</td><td>Tube</td></tr><tr><td>vBirthday </td><td>?</td></tr><tr><td>tAgenda</td><td>?</td></tr><tr><td>BatteryPack Pro</td><td>Is there a task manager in SM edition?</td></tr><tr><td>Conduits Timekeeper</td><td>Fizz Traveller (http://www.smartphone.net/smartphonethoughts/software_detail.asp?id=216)</td></tr><tr><td>SPB Imageer </td><td>Pocket Quick View (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9001)</td></tr><tr><td>Pocket Word</td><td>SmartphoneNotes (http://www.smartphone.net/smartphonethoughts/software_detail.asp?id=185)</td></tr><tr><td>TO Bluetooth Keyboard</td><td>Just Download the SP Driver - should work fine</td></tr><tr><td>Mobilearn Outloud</td><td>?</td></tr><tr><td>SPB Weather</td><td>Fizz Traveller (http://www.smartphone.net/smartphonethoughts/software_detail.asp?id=216)</td></tr><tr><td>Pocket Artist </td><td>?</td></tr><tr><td>Dinarsoft MemMaid</td><td>?</td></tr><tr><td>Dinarsoft TapText</td><td>?</td></tr><tr><td>Resco Explorer</td><td>Resco Explorer</td></tr><tr><td>Dinarsoft HandyMenu</td><td>?</td></tr></table>

Andy Whiteford
08-19-2005, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the info - Fizz Traveller looks very complete. Are there any must have applications or tools that you recommened?