View Full Version : When did you get your smartphone?

gib8080a
08-18-2005, 04:17 PM
The renaming of Pocket PC magazine to reflect the popularity of smartphones and the subsequent posts on PPCThoughts from people saying they recently got smartphones got me thinking if smartphones are indeed becoming more popular.

Personally, I got mine a couple of months ago to replace my Axim x50v / SE T637 and am loving my SMT 5600

How about you?

Mike Temporale
08-18-2005, 04:44 PM
I got mine a couple of months ago to replace my Axim x50v / SE T637 and am loving my SMT 5600

Replace?!?!? How about compliment? ;) I don't use my Pocket PC as much anymore, but I do still tap around on it from time to time. (If the battery has a charge. ;) )

I got my phone back in November when the current round of handsets was released. It was just so much better than the previous models, that I had to have one. And I'm glad I did. :D

gib8080a
08-18-2005, 05:16 PM
[Replace?!?!? How about compliment? ;)

I wasn't sure the smartphone could replace my PPC but it has (although I still have the PPC and am selling it soon). I guess the x50v was really too much of a machine for what I used it. My must-haves, in addition to the PIM functionality, are ListPro and FlexWallet. I also added SmartphoneNotes, Papyrus and now with the Facade beta (thanks SBSH!), I happily have only one device to carry!

BTW, I think it's 'complement'... :)

Sven Johannsen
08-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Got an MPx220 (unbranded) about 5-6 mos ago. Then switched from T-Mobile to Cingular and got an SMT5600. Can't say I'm as pleased with the devices as others and I still rely heavily on my X50v. The PPC used to be paired with a T610. I can use the SMT as a modem as I did with the T610, but doing that with the MPX has proven fruitless. It's less of an issue since the SP has pretty good e-mail and web clients on it's own, so in that respect could supplant the PPC. Neither SP will work with my car BT handsfree set, which my T610 (und my wife's Razr) do flawlessly. [Actually that is partially true. The MPX with a bootleg Korean ROM works with my car set. That's maddening. It can work, Motorola just doesn't want it to it seems]

Both the phones have cameras, as does the T610, which means I can't take it numerous places I go. One of the reasons I still use the PPC. This is just no better than what I had.

I'm using the SMT currently but operating it is annoying. I can't leave the keys unlocked because the get pushed to easily. There's no autolock after a set time period like my T610 had, so I have to remember to lock them. When I want to unlock it, it's a three button push process. I have to push the left softkey to bring up the screen. Then I need to press the Unlock softkey (again), then the star. When the keys are locked, and the screen is off, it appears that only two things will bring the screen on, the left softkey, and tap the power button. When an alert happens, you can't see it, and if you tap left softkey, it both activates the screen, but also clears the alert. Tapping the power button is akward and non intuitive.

I do also make notes on my PPC, something that just seems less comfortable on the SP. I do have SmarphoneNotes, but I'd rather just scrawl the memo in my own writing than try to tap it out in T9 or iTap, or whatever that is. I'm not a voice memo guy. Don't even use that on the PPC.

So at this point, my SP(s) is just a phone, to be used in conjunction with my PPC, and it doesn't do it as well as my T610 did.

I think this weekend I'm going to find the time to set up the MPX220, and try it for a while. I never had the issues that seemed to plague so many. It just has the can't use as modem, and doesn't work with my car set issues. Putting the Korean ROM back on is a help, but really takes time to get al the rest of the stuff straightened out.

Jerry Raia
08-18-2005, 06:42 PM
My first was the i600 when Verizon came out with it.

kal_smt5600_new
08-18-2005, 07:59 PM
amen seven. I got my SMT5600 2 months back and was a bit disapointed
- exact same issues as you. The alarm/reminder thing anoys me to no end.

one more issue is that it has a USB port but i cannot connect any usb devices to it.

I guess i was expecting it to be a PPC+phone in a smaller size - touchscreen.
Now i know howmuch i need a touch screen.
No WiFi too even if i want to buy a mini SD

Overall it is a good phone - i guess i had toomuch expectation.

Patrick
08-18-2005, 08:53 PM
I got my smt5600 about a month ago. It definitely is not as powerful as my PPC, but for a phone I think it is pretty good. When I bought it, I was not looking for something to replace my PPC, but rather something to compliment it. I have a Toshiba e830 PPC with a 4” vga screen, which is great, but I have to make a conscious effort to bring it with me. I generally keep it in a bag I bring back and forth to work. When I go somewhere in the evening or weekend I can throw it in a jacket pocket in the winter (if I remember), but in the summer it is awkward to carry due to it’s size. My smt5600 is on my belt from the moment I wake up to the moment I put my pj’s on at night :sleeping: , so I always have it with me. If I am in the kitchen I won’t here the alarm on my e830 sitting in a bag at the front door, but I will here the alarm from my trusty smt5600 on my belt. If I want to surf the web or do something more demanding, I’ll pull out the e830 with its gorgeous big screen. To be honest I am surprised how little I use my e830 now that I have a smartphone.

I think if you are looking for a full-blown PDA, you might be disappointed by a smartphone. You would probably be better off with a PPCPE. On the other hand if you are looking for something that is primarily a phone with some basic PDA features in a very small package then the smartphone is great.

gib8080a
08-18-2005, 10:29 PM
Granted that most people on this site are pretty techo-savvy, I'm just curious if smartphones will really catch on with the general public who just want a phone with some basic PDA functionality (and able to sync most, if not all, of their info on Outlook).

I'm thinking of a friend who just got a new phone and carries a Zire (I know 8O ). Perfect candidate for a smartphone, right? Before he got the new phone I tried to convert him to smartphones but he still thought it would be "too much".

Mike Temporale
08-19-2005, 01:41 AM
:oops: Ijust noticed the "first" part of the above question. For some reason I was thinking current... oh well, what are you going to do?

Sven Johannsen
08-19-2005, 03:42 AM
:oops: Ijust noticed the "first" part of the above question. For some reason I was thinking current... oh well, what are you going to do?
Don't sweat it. Do like we do down here...vote again.

gib8080a
08-19-2005, 02:59 PM
:oops: Ijust noticed the "first" part of the above question.

Sorry, I should have emphasized that. I wanted to know how many SP newbies like me there are recently to hopefully see whether the popularity of SPs is indeed increasing.

Mike Temporale
08-19-2005, 03:32 PM
Sorry, I should have emphasized that. I wanted to know how many SP newbies like me there are recently to hopefully see whether the popularity of SPs is indeed increasing.

No need to be sorry. It's my fault. I'm the guy who failed to read it correctly. ;)

As for the popularity of Smartphones, I think it's safe to say that they are on the rise. Especially when you see stuff like Pocket PC Mag renaming to Smartphone and Pocket PC Mag. (http://www.Smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9042) ;)

ctmagnus
08-20-2005, 06:31 AM
A few weeks ago :D

However, like most, it compliments my Pocket PC, rather than supplanting it.

Mark Larson
08-25-2005, 07:02 AM
I got my SMT5600 just over six months ago. I never had a pocket pc, but i'm no stranger to PDAs, having owned a psion Series 5 and a Palm something or the other. This is by far the most powerful, being a great phone, and having lots of functionality. I wanted to go for the mpx 220, but i'm glad i didn't. I'm thinking of upgrading to a Pocket pc phone though, thinking that the better screen and functionality is worth the increase in size.