View Full Version : "Push" E-Mail May Reach 40 Million Devices by 2008

Kris Kumar
08-13-2005, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS4641816922.html' target='_blank'>http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS4641816922.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Wireless "push" email services are estimated to currently be reaching some 4.2 million mobile devices, a user base that may swell to 40 million by 2008. The numbers are based on analyst findings, press reports, and customer comments compiled by Intellisync, a provider of mobile device push services. Research In Motion's (RIM) Blackberry currently dominates the field, with about 3 million users representing 71 percent of the market, according to Intellisync. Intellisync's half-million users put it in second place, at 12 percent, it says. Unlike RIM, however, Intellisync's approach is platform-independent and supports a broad range of devices and embedded operating systems including Windows Mobile, the company notes."</i><br /><br />The current 4.2 million will grow to 40 million by 2008. <i>Wow!</i> That's a lot of growth. And it's the kind of growth that can only come from more players joining the "push" E-Mail bandwagon. It comes as no surprise to me that Microsoft has prepped its next version of Exchange for push E-Mail. And that many of its hardware partners are coming out with QWERTY devices. RIM is also establishing BlackBerry Connect partnerships with cell phone manufacturers. Looks like soon push E-Mail will be a standard option on all cell phones. 8)

Mike Temporale
08-13-2005, 05:17 PM
I think that Microsoft is going to have a serious edge in the push market since their solution doesn't rely on the carrier or some central server like all of the other solutions.

Kris Kumar
08-13-2005, 08:38 PM
The biggest strength for Microsoft is the Windows Mobile OS. Compared to RIM, it is a much more open platform. Lot of developers know how to write apps for it. Corporate world wants E-Mail + enterprise apps. RIM is good at E-Mail but fails when it comes to enterprise apps. Microsoft will have advantage in both these areas once its push based devices come out. :-)

Jerry Raia
08-14-2005, 01:32 AM
Anything that steps on Blackberry is manna from heaven. :twisted:

surfer
08-14-2005, 05:44 PM
This is going to be really cool. I've always wanted to try out a real push email system and now with microsoft entering the market it can't become any better.