View Full Version : Is Explorer cache working?

jerrydnorton
07-29-2005, 10:05 PM
Is the memory cache feature (temporary files) working on your phone? I have been investigating why browsing is SO SLOW and noticed that my "Temporary Files" is always 0 bytes.

Also, as a test, I turned off the graphics for web pages and then revisited my favorite sites. It went dramatically faster. I think this means that the phone is not saving web page content between visits.

What are the rest of you seeing, in this regard?
Thanks,
Jerry

Kris Kumar
07-30-2005, 03:42 AM
Well I took a look at my Temp. Internet Folder memory usage - guess what - it is 0!

So I did some surfing. Still 0!

So I open up File Manager and decided to take a look at the "\Storage\Windows\Temporary Internet Files" folder - it is 0! :roll:

And I am wondering "What's up Microsoft!" :-)

Then I decided to look at the Storage Card. There is a "\Storage Card\Temporary Internet Files" folder. And that has stuff. Yahoo!

So it seems somehow I moved my temporary internet files folder and you may have done that also. How did we move it? I am guessing, using an application called Tweaks2K2.

Let me know if this makes sense. ;-)

Kris Kumar
07-30-2005, 03:44 AM
Actually come to think about it. That could be the reason why internet is slow. Because we have moved the folder to the storage card, instead of the regular memory. Hmm..something to try out. I am going to revert to the older settings.

Jerry Raia
07-31-2005, 01:18 AM
Actually come to think about it. That could be the reason why internet is slow. Because we have moved the folder to the storage card, instead of the regular memory. Hmm..something to try out. I am going to revert to the older settings.

Did you notice a speed difference?

Kris Kumar
07-31-2005, 03:02 AM
I think there definitely is some difference, for the better. When the IE is using the regular \Windows\Temporary Internet Files folder, it performs better, definitely when it comes to cached content.

jerrydnorton
07-31-2005, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the research. I don't have a Temp files directory on my (1GB) card and have not used Tweaks2K2 either.

So, in my case, I can't find any cached files at all. I'm still stumped.

Jerry

Kris Kumar
07-31-2005, 03:23 PM
So there is no \Windows\Temporary Internet Files folder. Note there is another confusing \Storage\Windows\Temporary Internet Files. The former is the one that should have the cached files. :?

Jerry Raia
08-01-2005, 06:50 AM
Well I switched back to internal memory and it is a bit quicker. A bit less memory around now too though. :(

jerrydnorton
08-02-2005, 09:05 PM
SO, I found the \Storage\Temporary Internet Files\ folder and it's empty.

The folder \Windows\Temporary INternet Files\ didn't exist so I created it.

WOW! What a difference. It's improved from minutes per page to seconds. BUt I still don't see any files in \Windows\Temporary INternet Files\. And my "temp Internet files" value is still zero.

I have no idea what is happening behind the scenese but it really is dramatically improved.

Jerry