View Full Version : Changing the device name

ctmagnus
07-29-2005, 03:49 AM
I learned long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away to immediately change the device name as soon as I get a new Pocket PC. I've been looking for a way to do so on my Smartphone but cannot find a way to. Can it not be done, or is it not necessary for Smartphones to have unique device names as they don't sync files and therefore don't make use of a unique [device name]_My Documents folder on the desktop, or did someone at Microsoft neglect the fact that it may be a good idea for Smartphones to have unique device IDs in situations where a single user uses multiple Smartphones for whatever reason?

Mike Temporale
07-29-2005, 04:14 AM
Here (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4895) is the manual way, or you can grab a tool like Tweak2K.net and do it from that tool.

The device name is only really used in ActiveSync partnership. I really wish they would add file sync conduits. :(

Sven Johannsen
07-29-2005, 03:28 PM
or is it not necessary for Smartphones to have unique device names as they don't sync files and therefore don't make use of a unique [device name]_My Documents folder on the desktop,

The most certainly do need a unique name. Even if you sync nothing on a PPC, it won't let you use a name twice (without deleting that named partnership of course) Not sure if it is an AS 4 feature, because I forgot if it happened before. The second time I partnered a smartphone that was named smartphone, AS offered to change the device name for me rather than complain it was already used.

Barring that happenning, the manual way seems the way to go. Can't imagine why MS didn't expose that personalization option.

Also the last few time I re-flashed my MPX220, it's default name was MPX220. That makes sense unless I have more than one of those :)

spokrie
07-29-2005, 05:51 PM
If you want to chnge the device name on the MPx220 to can change it in the Phone Settings. This was new in the 1.43 ROM update. Goto Settings+Phone Settings, and it is the last option, put in the name you want.

another way to change it with out using Tweak2K.net is if you have another device that uses AS, name it the same as your phone then sync it up. Make a new partnership with your phone and AS will ask you to change the name. This is now the new name. My first solution is easier.

Scott