View Full Version : Alt-Tab for Smartphone?

me
07-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Anyone know of a program that can cycle between open programs on the Smartphone, like pressing Alt-Tab in desktop Windows.

There is a nice freeware program for Pocket PC that can do that, one of the PHM Power Toys. It's called, incidentally, "Alt-Tab". You configure it to one of the buttons on the PPC, so that everytime you press that button (unless of course, you are in an application that uses that button) it cycles through your open programs. (I wrote to the developer, Phillipe Majerus, and suggested a smartphone version, but he did not reply.)

It would be nice to have something like that on the Smartphone--for instance, press the # key to cycle between open applications. (Of course, if one is in an application where pressing that key would do something else, that would override the alt-tab function.)

I have Xbar, have paid for the full current version. I use Xbar to switch between open applications, but it is rather cumbersome. Something like Alt-Tab would sure be nice. Anyone know of something like that for smartphone?

encece
07-30-2005, 09:27 PM
Set up a shortcut (like holding down the 7 key) to run the built in task manager. And switch between them that way. Though Xbar seems like a better option, I've never had luck with it. It always makes something else on my phone not work correctly.

me
08-02-2005, 01:11 AM
Set up a shortcut (like holding down the 7 key) to run the built in task manager. And switch between them that way. Though Xbar seems like a better option, I've never had luck with it. It always makes something else on my phone not work correctly.

Yes, I have that setup too, as well as Xbar.

Yet, a real Alt-Tab option (one key set up to cycle between running applications) would be real nice and convenient to have, IMO. These other task-switching options don't really provide the same convenience.