View Full Version : T-Mobile USA Phones

OSUKid7
07-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Hey...I'm looking for a T-Mobile (USA) phone. Are there any Microsoft Smartphones for T-Mobile? If not, what are my options for Bluetooth phones from T-Mobile? I was just at a T-Mobile retail store yesterday, and talked with the district manager. She seemed pretty lost with bluetooth devices and had no idea how I would use a data plan if I didn't have a PDA phone. :roll: Anyway, my contract's up, and although I'd like to move to Cingular and get an Audiovox SMT5600, the rest of the family won't do that. ;) I saw that it's possible to unlock the SMT5600 (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8805)...would that then work on T-Mobile?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike Temporale
07-19-2005, 03:52 PM
T-Mobile doesn't have any Smartphones. :( If you want a Smartphone, you can pickup a SMT5600 from ebay and unlock it, then just drop in your SIM card and away you go.

I can't comment on other T-Mobile Bluetooth devices, since I just don't know. ;) I would guess that it should be listed on their website.

Sven Johannsen
07-19-2005, 04:05 PM
I don't think T-Mo has any Smartphones at the moment. That's one reason I am now on Cingular. The bigger reason was coverage. Took the opportunity to get a Smartphone. The DM seems to need some product training. I used my T610 as a BT modem for various PPCs for a long time with T-Mobile and was very satisfied. Actually more so then I am now with my Smartphone(s). I was never enthralled about browsing the web on a 3.5in screen and the SP is a quarter that size. On the phone it is very convenient to browse through RSS feeds and click a link and it just goes. With the T610/PPC combo I would need to get the net connection set up, to make this as seamless. As it is neither of my SPs are working well as a modem for my PPC(s). It's not a unique problem.

I was happy with my t610/X50v combo. I figured it would only get better if I added Smartphone to the left side of that combo. I haven't found that to be the case. It's different, not better.

If you got an unlocked SMT5600, yes it would work with a T-Mo SIM. I'd find a generic unlocked one though, not a Cingular one you unlock. You are going to pay full price anyway if you don't want a contract.

Edit: after reading Mke's post. When I was originally looking for BT phones I was surprised at how often T-Mobile didn't note that as a feature on phones that had it. May be different now with the popularity of headsets.

OSUKid7
07-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Thanks for your input, Mike and sven. Right now I have an SE T610 and HP iPAQ hx4705. The T610 is decent, and I'll probably end up sticking with it for another year, but our T-Mo contract is up soon and I thought I'd look at my options. I checked the T-Mo website, and like sven said, many of the phones that I know have bluetooth aren't shown there. I wasn't sure if T-Mo really didn't offer them, or they just weren't on the website. The Cingular store I was at yesterday was great, having a Bluetooth logo sticker by every phone with Bluetooth (probably a good 8-10 devices :)). Unfortunately, we would be paying $20 more per month for a family plan at Cingular, and we don't need the extra minutes.

I'll watch prices on the SMT5600, but I'll probably just stick with my T610 until I change carriers in a year or so.