View Full Version : End GPRS

jimmell
07-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Anyone know how to quickly end a GPRS session for the Audiovox 5600? All other suggestions for other phones (end call button, others) do not work for the 5600. The only way I have found to work is to toggle flight mode on and off, but this is a bit cumbersome.

Mike Temporale
07-19-2005, 03:16 PM
The end call button seems to work for me. Does it not work in one program, or is this a problem with everything?

jimmell
07-19-2005, 03:50 PM
It does not seem to be related to being on any one internet site. Holding in the end call button on this phone locks the keypad.

Mike Temporale
07-19-2005, 03:55 PM
I just tap the end button, and it kills the current GPRS task. Sometimes it might take 2 taps, but it works for me. Just press/release, then wait a second to see if it stops. If not, press/release again.

jimmell
07-19-2005, 04:40 PM
One, two...many taps doesn't do it. I hate that I have to go though that whole flight mode on, flight mode off routine.

Jerry Raia
07-19-2005, 05:10 PM
It doesn't end it for me either. I have unlimited data so it doesnt matter but I'm curious why it wont work.

Mike Temporale
07-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Hmm, Maybe this is one of the few subtle differences between the C500 and the Audiovox. I'll have to dig out my 5600 tonight and test it on that unit.

Sven Johannsen
07-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Didn't want to jump in too soon, because I wasn't sure if I was just doing something wrong. I don't get my SMt5600 to drop the GPRS symbol with the end key either. (My MPX220 does that). I too have unlimited data, so don't really care, but I would guess that just because the icon is up over at the signal bar icon, doesn't neccesarily mean any data is flowing.

Jerry Raia
07-19-2005, 07:05 PM
Quite right. I have Battery Pack on my home screen running network monitor and no data is going either way even though the session shows active.

Mike Temporale
07-19-2005, 08:04 PM
Oh, maybe that's the issue. I didn't watch the icon. I just started a page loading, and then pressed the end key and it stops. The connection could still be open, but that doesn't matter as long as it's not sending data.

jimmell
07-19-2005, 08:55 PM
I have unlimited data too, but when I don't end the session, my battery gets wiped out in hours as opposed to days.

Jerry Raia
07-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Oh, maybe that's the issue. I didn't watch the icon. I just started a page loading, and then pressed the end key and it stops. The connection could still be open, but that doesn't matter as long as it's not sending data.

Yes people see the antenna symbol replaced by the boxed "G" and might assume data is flowing. It is not as far as I can tell. My old MPx220 would go back to the antenna with a press of the END key. The 5600 does not behave that way. The affect on the battery though may impact some. It does seem to revet back after some time interval. Maybe a registry setting can be changed to shorten the time out.

jimmell
07-20-2005, 11:56 AM
In my entire time with this phone, I have not seen it revert back (on its own) to indicate inactive GPRS, once its been activated. In this mode, with no apps running, I go from a multi-day standby time battery life to about 10 hours. I'd say that's having an impact.

HalM
07-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Have you scheduled ActiveSync to retrieve mail? Is there some other app on your phone that depends on Internet connectivity?

jimmell
07-20-2005, 12:35 PM
My active sync mail retreival is manual - I do not auto schedule it. I really don't have any installed apps that I loaded that would require an internet connection.

Jerry Raia
07-20-2005, 10:52 PM
In my entire time with this phone, I have not seen it revert back (on its own) to indicate inactive GPRS, once its been activated. In this mode, with no apps running, I go from a multi-day standby time battery life to about 10 hours. I'd say that's having an impact.

Mine always reverts back. Under "Data Connections" all of mine are set to "Automatic". Then under menu/options I have "Idle disconnect after" set to 5 minutes. That might be it. Its a place to start looking at least.

Mike Temporale
07-21-2005, 03:44 AM
under menu/options I have "Idle disconnect after" set to 5 minutes.

Mine was set to 10 minutes. I've just dropped it 5.

jimmell
07-21-2005, 12:47 PM
Could it be network related? Are those of you that got it to work with this specific phone on the Cingular network? I've set all the data connections to automatic and time out to 5 minutes, yet the connection remains open. Again, the only problem with that is that my battery life suffers.

Jerry Raia
07-21-2005, 01:42 PM
Could it be network related? Are those of you that got it to work with this specific phone on the Cingular network? I've set all the data connections to automatic and time out to 5 minutes, yet the connection remains open. Again, the only problem with that is that my battery life suffers.

I am with Cingular.

jimmell
07-21-2005, 02:30 PM
I stumble across new things in a desparate attempt to learn more. Ok, so we're both with Cingular, have the same phone - you can end GPRS with one key, I cannot. I found this morning that if I am in an active session and I go into settings - data connections - and change my internet connection from Cingular to automatic or the other way around, the GPRS connection is immediately terminated. As soon as I start another session, the problem is back.

Is this clue telling you anything of value or am I just grasping at straws?

Jerry Raia
07-21-2005, 02:49 PM
you can end GPRS with one key

No I cannot end my GPRS with a key press. It just times out but my timeout setting doesn't seem to have any effect. This is very puzzling.

ctmagnus
08-13-2005, 05:48 AM
No I cannot end my GPRS with a key press. It just times out but my timeout setting doesn't seem to have any effect. This is very puzzling.

I agree. My Smt5600 is set to 5 minutes as well, but I've noticed it hanging onto the GPRS connection for much longer than that. I also cannot end the data session with a keypress.

Jerry Raia
08-13-2005, 06:06 AM
Still it seems no data is flowing just because the "G" is there.

jimmell
08-13-2005, 12:29 PM
Correct. The only thing flowing is your battery life.

Jerry Raia
08-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Correct. The only thing flowing is your battery life.

Unfortunately that does seem to be the case.

Richard76
08-27-2005, 09:59 PM
Try pressing and holding the "Home" key for about 2 seconds. A Quicklist box will pop up and option 1 will be "Disconnect GPRS".

Press the action button or the number 1 and GPRS will be disconnected. Then press "Home" again to go back to the home screen.

ctmagnus
08-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Pressing and holding the home key on my SMT5600 gives me Internet Explorer (I did not know that before :) ).