View Full Version : How to make the Smartphone automatically check for pop mail

rdef
07-17-2005, 08:03 PM
I recently purchased a SMT 5600, and I could not seem to get it to automatically check for pop mail in a reliable way.

I searched several forums for a solution, including this one, but could not find any, but I did find that others were having the same problem-sometimes the phone would automically check for pop email at the specified interval, and other times it would not.

With some determination and a few hours of hypothesis and conclusion, I believe I have figure it out.

In order for the system to automically check for pop mail for a specific account, that account must be "active." That is, it must be running in memory. To do this, just make sure that it's the last account you use before leaving the email application.

Example, assume you have several accounts setup on your phone: One for Outlook mail, one for text messages and one for a pop account called "Cox". In order for the system to automatically check for mail on the Cox account, that account must be the last one you use before you go to the home screen or launch another app. You'll notice that if you leave the mail app this way and go the task manager after leaving the mail app, you'll see an app running called "Cox". This is what you want.

I have found that if the Cox app is running in the background (or foreground) that the system reliably checks for email. If it's not running (even if Outlook mail or text messaging is running), it will not regularly check for mail.

I also found the following:

-the arrival of other messages (e.g., text messages or outlook messages) will not affect the automatic retrieval of pop messages.

-the simple arrival of other messages (text, outlook, etc.) does not cause the associated mail application to run. In other words, if you left the Cox account active (as noted in the example above), it will stay active until you specifically open a different mail account, even if messages related to those other accounts arrive.

I thought I'd share my findings...

Good luck

Mike Temporale
07-18-2005, 12:44 AM
Yup, you got it right. It's a horrible design, but if you don't have the email app running, it won't check for email. Crazy, eh. :? So the first thing I do after I reboot my phone is launch email.

BTW, this is the case regardless if the account is POP or IMAP based. :roll:

encece
07-18-2005, 12:52 AM
Another terrible thing to note is that the messaging app will only check ONE account. And that will be the last account where you did a send/receive.

So if you have AccountA and AccountB.
Send/Receive on AccountB.....

...it will check AccountB every 15 minutes (or whatever) and not check AccountA. :(

Mike Temporale
07-18-2005, 12:55 AM
...it will check AccountB every 15 minutes (or whatever) and not check AccountA. :(

Really? That's nuts. :evil: I have multiple accounts setup, but only 1 account is set to check email on a regular basis. I was just getting around to altering another account to have that one check regularly too. Guess I should save my time, eh? :(

encece
07-18-2005, 01:06 AM
Microsoft is very strange! :roll:

uwaku
12-09-2005, 07:56 PM
I guess none of you are subscribed to T-Mobile. Their my.email service lets you setup any number of email accounts through their website (including gmail, pop3, whatever), then sends an SMS to your phone when you have mail, prompting that account to download the new message. Sure beats having my phone come on every 15 minutes all night long to check mail that isn't there.

Seems I heard there were a few other services out there that were similar...

Sven Johannsen
12-09-2005, 09:59 PM
then sends an SMS to your phone when you have mail, .

How nice of them to provide an opportunity for you to pay them ;)

Actually that's not much different than MSs own Always Up To Date, but I figured I'd have to take out a loan for the SMS fees.

uwaku
12-11-2005, 12:50 AM
then sends an SMS to your phone when you have mail, .

How nice of them to provide an opportunity for you to pay them ;)

Actually that's not much different than MSs own Always Up To Date, but I figured I'd have to take out a loan for the SMS fees.

Actually, SMS sent by T-Mobile to the user, INCLUDING SMS alerts for new email, are NOT charged to your bill. I get 20-30 emails a day and never get charged for all those SMS. They don't even show up in the SMS account. I only get charged when other users send me messages.

Might have something to do with the unlimited data plan ($20), but hey, you need that to read email in the first place, much less browse the web any time, any place. And from what I hear, that's cheaper than anyone else. Probably because TMO has the worst national coverage.