View Full Version : Unlock the SMT5600 .... for FREE!

mbranscum
07-16-2005, 04:18 PM
http://www.modaco.com/SMT_5600_Sim_Unlock_for_free-t222898.html

:D

Mike Temporale
07-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Sounds pretty interesting. I already have an unlocked 5600, so I can't try this out. Anyone here brave enough to give it a try?

Rocco Augusto
07-18-2005, 03:41 AM
i tried it. it worked :)

the sad thing is i put in an old att sim and found out the account was still in service... att was suppose to terminate it MONTHS ago! (it was an old dealer demo line :twisted:).

-opti-

surfer
07-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Awesome:D I would definatly try this if had an audiovox:D Anyway it's fun for those of you that has one :D

jvanliew
07-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Sorry for the dumb question...

What does locked / unlocked mean...what is it that is locked /unlocked.

I have a Cingular SMT5600...is it locked?

thanks...

Sven Johannsen
07-28-2005, 09:02 PM
Sorry for the dumb question...

What does locked / unlocked mean...what is it that is locked /unlocked.

I have a Cingular SMT5600...is it locked?

thanks...

In this context there are two things that can be locked. The phone can be application locked, which means you can't install third party applications except possibly those specifically allowed (read sold) by your provider. The second is provider locked, or carrier locked, or SIM locked. That would mean you could not borrow a T-Mobile friends SIM and use it in your phone, you phone would only work with a Cingular SIM in it.

Your Cingular SMT5600 is likely not application locked, mine isn't. But it is likely SIM, or provider or carrier locked, mine is. I cannot put my T-Mobile Pay-as-you-go SIM in my SMT5600, but I can put either that SIM or my Cingular SIM in my unlocke MPX220, and have them work.

You can through various means 'unlock' your phone. This is useful for geeks who may have multiple phones and multiple plans and want to see if their phone works better on various networks. It is also useful if you travel somewhere that your normal carrier doesn't support well. You can get a prepaid SIM for the duration you are in that situation.

If you are on a contract, and are going to be with your carrier for a year or two anyway, not much point in unlocking the phone, except for those reasons above. You might check with your provider too, if they subsidized your phone, if unlocking it will affect your warranty service.

None of this has anything to do with locking your phone with a password, or locking the keypad.

ctmagnus
07-29-2005, 03:53 AM
Mine's unlocked. It's a Cingular phone that's running with a Rogers sim and I've installed several apps on it in the last few days, from several different sites. However, there were a few themes I downloaded from (iirc) airfagev that wouldn't install because they claimed that the device was locked. Is this something I should be worried about?

Mike Temporale
07-29-2005, 04:17 AM
There are different levels of application locks. Most phones will not allow a program to touch critical functions/files/registry locations unless they are signed. From there the level of lock increases to the level of the Samsung i600 - where you can't install anything unless it's signed by the carrier.

Should you be concerned? Well, that's up to you. How badly do you want to install those apps, and how much do you want to protect the basic functions of the phone?

Sven Johannsen
07-29-2005, 03:36 PM
There are different levels of application locks. Most phones will not allow a program to touch critical functions/files/registry locations unless they are signed.

I wasn't aware of the levels. Hmmm, that's probabaly a good thing. I haven't run into anything that wouldn't install, but I have been sticking to pretty well known, 'commercial' applications, from places like SPB, SBSH, etc.