View Full Version : MP4 Files wont play on Desktop or PPC

Jerry Raia
07-10-2005, 09:50 PM
Somebody has to explain to me why a video I make on my Smartphone and play back on WMP on my Smartphone will not play on my PPC or Desktop in WMP! I have tried several codecs and they either crash MediaPlayer, have terrible video quality or wont play the audio stream. Has anyone had success with this?

Kris Kumar
07-21-2005, 10:46 PM
Okay, I had the same problem. Spent hours looking for a player. And Finally discovered that RealPlayer can play them..woohoo! :)

Mike Temporale
07-22-2005, 01:10 AM
RealPlayer can play them..woohoo! :)

Ok... I'm sorry, but I don't think I would ever be using RealPlayer and WooHoo in the same sentence. Unless it was: I just uninstalled RealPlayer, woohoo! :lol:

Jerry Raia
07-22-2005, 05:14 AM
Well the Core Pocket Media Player will play them on the Pocket PC as well as the Smartphone. That still leaves the desktop. I have to go with Mike on this one. I loathe RealPlayer. So far the only thing that works is QuickTime. It floors me MS doesn't have the codecs for the PPC and desktop versions of WMP. :roll:

Kris Kumar
07-22-2005, 01:45 PM
The Woohoo was because I managed to see the precious video. Last wednesday I went mountain biking. And I was taking videos of my biking buddies doing some stunts. Suddenly one of them lost balance/control, and came head on towards me....c r a s h....and the moment and the action was recorded by the Smartphone. I ended up with swollen lip(it is still swollen), the other guy got some scrapes. The funniest video.

Kris Kumar
07-22-2005, 03:13 PM
My buddies at work have discovered that Quicktime 7.0 (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/preview/) which is in Beta can show MP4 videos.

encece
03-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Old thread...but I need to revive.

Why can my Windows PC not play videos created by my Windows Phone?!?

I just had to refresh my PC due to a Hard Drive Crash. I KNOW I was able to play MP4 video in WMP....but dont remember what I installed to allow it to do so. I'm 100% sure of it though. Does anyone know?

I dont want to resort to playing them in QT or any other app. So if anyone can point me to a codec...I'd ya know...thank you.

encece
03-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Figured it out. The 3ivx codec allow you to play MP4 video in WMP. \o/

Kris Kumar
03-21-2006, 04:35 AM
Figured it out. The 3ivx codec allow you to play MP4 video in WMP. \o/

Thanks for the tip. I have been using the annoying Quicktime.

encece
03-21-2006, 04:51 AM
Yeah...everywhere I read said QT or Real....and I refuse to use those if I can help it. I wont even install Real on my PC.

Mike Temporale
03-21-2006, 01:44 PM
I hate Real, that website isn't even allowed near my machines. ;) QT is a pain as well. I was recently having some problems watching MI-3 trailer. So I uninstalled QT and when I went to reinstall it I was forced to take iTunes too! Enough of that, I downloaded a free 3rd party QuickTime WMP plugin. No more QT here!

encece
03-21-2006, 03:12 PM
On Apple's site....there is a minor link on the same page that allows you to download QT alone.

Which QT plugin are you using for WMP? Link me please! :)

Mike Temporale
03-21-2006, 04:19 PM
On Apple's site....there is a minor link on the same page that allows you to download QT alone.

:evil: I hate when they do this kind of thing. A lot of the spyware detection tools and free firewall tools do this too. I tihnk it's very misleading to the consumer. They are trying to trick you into taking more than you want. I can expect it from the small vendors, but Apple should be better than this. :roll:

Which QT plugin are you using for WMP? Link me please! :)

Sure thing. It's called "QuickTime Alternative" - go figure, eh? I've been using it for a month or two, and I haven't had any problems. In fact, I like it better than the standard QT player for a number of reasons. One of which, is that it prompts you to download the content instead of locking you into a stream that you can't save for viewing at a later date. :D

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm

Let me know what you think.

encece
03-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Actually, I downloaded that yesterday before I found the minimal link to the QT only download.

It installed and worked great but I could have sworn it only worked in the OLD WMP it installed along with it. That was taking preference over my WMP10 so I uninstalled it. I couldnt figure out how to only unistall the old WMP alone...so the whole thing went.

I'll try again.

By the way...if you go into settings of the QT Alternative player, you'll notice a username and serial number typed in.

The same username and password will let you register QTPro 7.0 on your pc....which will open up the Pro export options. ;) I'm not condoning it....just pointing it out. WHOOPS!

Mike Temporale
03-21-2006, 08:25 PM
It installed and worked great but I could have sworn it only worked in the OLD WMP it installed along with it. That was taking preference over my WMP10 so I uninstalled it. I couldnt figure out how to only unistall the old WMP alone...so the whole thing went.

I didn't even notice that it was playing in an old WMP. I guess I was just too happy about getting rid of QT. It hasn't effected my WMP10 at all. All my MP3's and WMV still play in WMP without any issues.