View Full Version : MPx220 to Audiovox 5600?

Jerry Raia
07-10-2005, 03:00 PM
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/220.jpghttp://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/5600.jpg

The update for the MPx220 is out and a number of you have applied it to your phone. I am curious if it has changed your opinion of it. Cingular is apparently offering to swap a troubled MPx220 for the Audiovox phone. I know from the posts here quite a few have done so. I really liked my MPx220's form factor but it's no secret I was beyond livid at the lack of quality.

Jon Westfall
07-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Being a new MPx user, I have to say that I'm fairly content with this phone. Aside from a nagging issue where my Dell Axim doesn't want to use it as a BT modem (The tablet PC has no problem), the device is working well for me, and the form factor is great. I hate bar phones, but have been stuck with them for years.

surfer
07-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Im getting my MPX tomorrow and the thing that have appealed me the most is that it's a flip phone and i've been just like Jon stuck with candybar phones for years.

xultar
07-10-2005, 04:19 PM
I hate to sound like a braggard but I'm so happy I didn't go MPX220 and went SMT5600 from the start. I was a v600 owner and it really turned me against moto. I will never go moto unless they seriously clean up their act.

Sven Johannsen
07-10-2005, 06:01 PM
This is a toughy. I have them both. I never had any real complaints with my MPX220, except for that it didn't work with my car BT set and it wouldn't work as a BT modem with my Dell X50v (or any other PPC for that matter). Both things my T610 did fine. That was with v1.3.

I changed from T-Mo to Cingular for coverage reasons and got an SMT5600 at the time because I think..thought, I like bars better than flips. Not sure any more. I like the SMT. It is very compact, works well, but doesn't work with my car set either, though it does work as a modem.

Now my MPX is an unbranded unlocked phone and I am comfortable messing with it. I recently installed an Asian ROM on it that is like v3.4 or something, and now I have MP10 on the phone and by golly it works with my car BT set. That's a huge plus to me. For grins I put the generic 1.43 on and it didn't help either of my two BT issues, so the Asian ROM went back on. (It is irritating that i know it can be fixed, and Motorola just isn't doing it). Haven't tried the modem thing yet. If it does that too, the the SMT becomes a paperweight.

Thing is I've never had any of the severe issues that are reported with the MPX. Mine was fine as a phone and a PPC. Everything seemed to work OK. Now it just becomes a matter of which I like better. I think I'm still a candybar guy, but with the MPX working with the car BT, it has a big advantage there. I think the camera on the MPX is better, but personnally I wish they didn't have cameras at all. If it's going to be there, might as well be a decent one though.

At this point, I'm not sure if the SMT5600 or MPX220 isn't just a form factor decision for most folks.

Jon Westfall
07-10-2005, 11:28 PM
At this point, I'm not sure if the SMT5600 or MPX220 isn't just a form factor decision for most folks.

Speaking as someone who loved flip phones (From my StarTAC days) - it was a BIG factor for me going with the mpx when looking for my new phone. My iPAQ 6315 was my phone prior, and since I'd acquired the Axim in trade I decided to retire the 6315 to "reserve" status (Gotta have a reserve GSM phone around when you don't have a landline in case of headset meltdown). The 6315 was actually a device I liked, but after 3 years without a flip I just had to go back - they are so much more user-friendly in my opinion.

sojourner753
07-11-2005, 12:27 AM
I hate to sound like a braggard but I'm so happy I didn't go MPX220 and went SMT5600 from the start. I was a v600 owner and it really turned me against moto. I will never go moto unless they seriously clean up their act.

I'm a former v600 owner and it was that phone that drove me to smartphones. I vowed not to buy any more phones with hack OSes. I do prefer flip phones but there just wasn't one available when I went looking. I don't know if the 220 was available but I'm sure I wasn't hearing any good things about it.

Jon Westfall
07-11-2005, 12:53 AM

I'm a former v600 owner and it was that phone that drove me to smartphones. I vowed not to buy any more phones with hack OSes. I do prefer flip phones but there just wasn't one available when I went looking. I don't know if the 220 was available but I'm sure I wasn't hearing any good things about it.

I've never understood the OSes on regular mobile phones. Each has its own quirks, no unification, no syncronization or easy way to backup data in it, the list goes on. Last real phone I had was a Motorola v70, and I haven't looked back since.

Ned
07-11-2005, 06:30 AM
Hi All,

If there were a comparable phone available I would seriously consider switching to it, but the Audiovox 5600 is not comparable to the MPX220.

I used to use candy bar phones and they were a pain in the neck to speak into and hear at the same time. The 5600 is way too small and has that same problem.

I travel a great deal. The MPX220 is a quad phone, one of my main requirements, and works great at home, Europe (I've used it in the UK with no trouble) and the Carribbean (I've used it in Aruba with no trouble as well). The 5600 is a tri phone and will not work in many many places in Europe and other countries.

For those who like cameras the one on the 5600 is worse than the one on the MPX220.

If you want to use BT to connect to your car system, good luck with the 5600. It seems to loose its pairing when you turn the car off on a number of vehicles according to friends who switched.

There are other characteristics about the phone that don't match up, but I think you get my drift.

What we need is an MPX320 which actually fulfills the promise of MPX220.

Ned

rzanology
07-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Cingular is apparently offering to swap a troubled MPx220 for the Audiovox phone.

where did you hear this? I just got off the phone with cingular and they lady didnt know anything. What do i have to say to get this done?

Jerry Raia
07-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Cingular is apparently offering to swap a troubled MPx220 for the Audiovox phone.

where did you hear this? I just got off the phone with cingular and they lady didnt know anything. What do i have to say to get this done?

A lot of people here have been doing this according to several posts. Perhaps someone who has will post the particulars. I suspect you have to call in with a problem with the phone as opposed to just calling asking to swap. As always, it might take a call or two to get to the right person.

Here (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8380) is one thread that mentions it. The second post in this (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8562) one also.

Ned
07-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Cingular service told me about the swap of the Audiovox for the Moto MPX220. In fact, they really don't want to send out any MPX220 phones anymore at all. You really have to push them to exchange an MPX220 for an MPX220 at this point. To get my neighbor's exchanged for an MPX220 we had to go up 2 levels of the service food chain.

gilesjuk
07-11-2005, 02:59 PM
I'm an iMate Sp3 (HTC Typhoon same as Audiovox) owner who has just bought an MPx220 (I broke the Sp3 flashing the firmware).

The MPx220 is faster, the keyboard is better quality (Sp3 keys feel cheap and they do become uneven, the 8 key on mine sunk). It's easy to drop the Sp3 when using it one handed as the keys are so near the bottom of the phone. The Typhoon phone has a problem with dust, very bad problem in fact. The battery cover creaks (I fixed that with some cardboard) and the headphone socket looks cheap (the socket keeps the phone in headphone profile sometimes).

Not to say that the Sp3 is a rubbish phone, it's not. But it's not perfect, it just comes with more stable firmware by default than the MPx220.

Sp3 has a louder speaker, good Java runtime (installs JAR files, no need to use WAP), Mini USB (no need for expensive cables), large screen, good application compatibility, good firmware and the camera is better under low light than the MPx220 (but it needs to be cus of the lack of flash).

Windows Smartphones have a long way to go before they approach the quality of Sony Ericsson and Samsung.

My next Windows Smartphone will definitely be a Samsung unit.

Jerry Raia
07-11-2005, 03:55 PM
My next Windows Smartphone will definitely be a Samsung unit.

I have to admit my old i600 was built like a tank. It was just lacking features I wanted like Bluetooth for one.

Goattee
07-11-2005, 08:31 PM
What a bogus poll! How about: "I installed the ROM and it was the last straw-- I am getting rid of my MPx220"

I really wanted my first flip phone. But instead I just have been flipping out since Dec. The 1.43 started making my phone run its battery down. I figure they must have done a crappy workaround for the spotty GPRS and just have the phone polling constantly.

I was the victim of many MPx220 problems. Much as I wanted to love the infernal thing, the last ROM update proved that Motorola has a badly designed product that no series of ROM updates can overcome.

I am now the happy owner of an Audiovox SMT5600. When you call Cingular technical support and explain cogent reasons why you can't go on with the Moto, tell them you want to talk to an "exchange by mail" person.

They will read you standard language that if your phone was abused or immersed it will not qualify, etc. Then they will offer to send it fast (at a charge of ~$10) or for free.

Good luck!

mindspin
07-11-2005, 08:45 PM
I have had my MPX220 since the very begining. I bought mine the week that it appeared at Best Buy. So needless to say I have been through all of the ROM's to-date. The new 1.42 ROM was good, in comparison to all the others (since it is supposed to be! :D ).

I finally got tired of returning and doing ROM upgrades to the MPX220. I paid $300 for a phone that has had to be taken back/upgraded 4 times now! To me that unacceptable.

Now I have a SMT5600. I have to say that it feels like a more solid phone the the MPX220. The numbers being smaller and the navigation of the 5600 is not as good as the 220, however, the overall volume of the phone is many times better then the 220 even with the 1.42 ROM. The ability to voice dial over BT on the 5600 is a great feature. It is nice to not have to use the handset to make a hand-free call. The downside of that is that with the 5600, you have to create voice tags for everything. The 220 had built in voice command software, so no tags had to be made.

The addition of MP10 is great. I like the fact that I can sync up with Media Player on my laptop so seamlessly. The included earbuds with the 5600 are pretty nice too. They second as a wired hands-free kit. You can be listening to MP10 and a call will come in, MP10 will pause and you can take the call thorugh the same headset (this may be availabe on the 220 and MP9, but I did not have headsphones, so I'm not sure... I just know its pretty cool)

So over all, I feel like the 5600 is the better phone for me. The size is nice, the audio quality in/out is better, MP10 is a great addition, and its a new phone that I was able to get without extending my contract or paying for.... which to me is the best feature!!!

Jerry Raia
07-11-2005, 11:02 PM
What a bogus poll! How about: "I installed the ROM and it was the last straw-- I am getting rid of my MPx220"

You're right that is a good one. I wish I had thought of it! We'll have it as a write in from this point on. See how many agree. 8)

Covert
07-12-2005, 03:38 AM
I've updated my mpx220, though I didn't really have any complaints with the 1.3 version (or whatever) with which my phone shipped. I'm content sticking with my mpx220, at least until a far cooler phone comes out. 8)

neimad
07-12-2005, 04:12 AM
I have both the MPx220 and the Audiovox piece of junk that my work gave me. I've been wanting to post my views on these phones for a long time, because of all the incredulously negative things people say about the MPx220, which in my opinion is FAR BETTER than the audiovox, even in spite of any minor firmware bugs.

I purchased the MPx220 as soon as it was available in my area. I went through several ROM revisions and now have v1.43. I have never been so unhappy with the phone that i wanted to get rid of it, but I always wondered if the Audiovox 5600 was better.

Then my work gave me an Audiovox 5600 for testing music video downloads from our service. I carried both around in my pocket for several weeks, giving the audiovox phone a fair shot as i wanted to see what all the hoopla was about.

I immedately noticed HOW HORRIBLY BAD the A5600 joystick is compared to the MPx220. The audiovox device is practically unusable. It just plain sucks, and i don't know how anyone uses this on a daily basis.. it is just frustrating and awkward. The MPx220 joystick is practically perfect compared to the Audiovox, i don't have any complaints about it.

I also noticed the difference between the quality of the display. While the Audiovox screen is just slightly larger than the MPx220, the Audiovox clearly had more of an 'interlacing' effect. I know the science behind these devices and I'm very glad I'm not stuck with the Audiovox phone as my main phone. Having to look at that screen makes me feel sorry for the people who didn't buy the MPx, especially those who actually use it to watch videos. The MPx220 screen is just more vibrant and solid looking, while the Audiovox screen is a bit weak looking.

There are many other differences that make the MPx220 clearly a better device. Just one more - being able to remove and replace the MiniSD card without having to remove the battery is an obvious advantage of the MPx220.

I feel lucky to have had the chance to compare these two phones side-by-side in everyday use. Now the Audiovox sits on my desk at work collecting dust. I have no desire to pick it up at all.

algorhythm
07-12-2005, 04:54 AM
I had been through two Moto phones and swore I would never own another....their quality control is hideous. That said, I couldn't resist the MPx, and got one of the first available. After three days and four exchanges, I gave up and bought an iMate SP3. It served me quite well until it landed in my pool a couple of months ago, and I replaced it with a 5600.

Personally, I've never seen the appeal of a flip phone....it's just one more motion you need to go through to use it. But I know many people prefer them, and to each their etc.

Yes, the joystick sux, and I'm sure if I were a gamer I'd care. But I use a smartphone as a PDA and as a phone, and don't have a lot of time to play games on it. I have a 1GB SD card in it, so I have no need to remove it. So for me, the 5600 is fine. I agree there are better built phones out there, and I'll probably pop for a new one eventually (I tend to do so every year anyway, dweeb that I am). But in the meantime....as nice as the Moto may be, it's a Moto, and in my experience that means getting a bug-free one is a crap shoot with dismal odds.

rzanology
07-13-2005, 04:43 AM
weeeeell!!! i loved my mpx the first few weeks. I even forced myself to deal with the low volume. But i'll tell ya...im fed up as hell right now. I am on the phone with cingular as i type this trying to get rid of this crap. 1. It drops calls...not only does it drop calls...but it does it at a steady rate all day long. 2. when im on a call and some one calls...when i hit accept the phone goes mute. 3. i cannot and never was able to conference phone calls..(this is my 2nd mpx) 4. the camera constantly tells me "out of memory" when in fact i have a 128mb card and the default folder for pics are on the card.

I was looking over the specs on the audivox...and while i take a hit on the camera....which i really dont care that much about...i think its worth the switch. All i want is a smart phone that f'ing works!!!!! thats all. My faith in motorola has been for ever shaken. I knew there was a reason i was a loyal sony ericsson user. I sure wish they would put out a ms mobile phone.

bottom line...as tempting as it looks....moto always bites me in the azz with their sweet looking devices ( im looking at you v100 3 way pager)

mcdonp
07-13-2005, 06:24 PM
I have had my mpx220 since last november, through thick and thin. I am actually quite pleased with the phone, especially with the new firmware update. The voice quality seems to have improved as well as battery life. It's a cool phone. I'm sticking with it. 8)