View Full Version : Have an unlocked 5600 -- How to get on TMobile network?

slsolomon1
06-24-2005, 06:42 AM
I have an unlocked Audiovox 5600 that was locked for ATT.

Using my TMobile sim card, it connects to a Cingular network and the home page shows "Cingular" with the roam indicator. I don't think I'm on TMobile.

I have tried going to Settings --> Phone --> Networks --> Menu --> Preferred Networks and unchecking the Cingular network. That doesn't work. About 20 TMobile networks show up in the preferred list.

I live in a major U.S. metropolitan area where there is ample TMobile coverage.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

me
07-01-2005, 10:28 AM
This was covered before. I encountered the same thing. You are on T-Mobile. Apparently T-Mobile acquired some towers from Cingular, ATTW, etc., and never bothered to change their identifier.

A T-Mobile-locked phone will recognize that and still say T-Mobile, but an unlocked phone will show those other carriers.

Are you also in the Los Angeles area?

I have an unlocked Audiovox 5600 that was locked for ATT.

Using my TMobile sim card, it connects to a Cingular network and the home page shows "Cingular" with the roam indicator. I don't think I'm on TMobile.

I have tried going to Settings --> Phone --> Networks --> Menu --> Preferred Networks and unchecking the Cingular network. That doesn't work. About 20 TMobile networks show up in the preferred list.

I live in a major U.S. metropolitan area where there is ample TMobile coverage.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

slsolomon1
07-02-2005, 04:27 AM
Yes I'm in the L.A. area.

This makes sense except for one thing: when I insert my SIM card into an unlocked Nokia "dumbphone", (also on a Treo 270), the network identifies itself as "TMO". Yet on my unlocked SMT5600, it shows up as "Cingular".

I did set a registry value for network 31017 to "T-Mobile", but of course the phone still displays the roaming indicator.