View Full Version : Audiovox SMT 5600 -- imminently obsolete / new WM5 OS version??

brianfolk
06-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Hi all,

I've been seriously researching this phone, but am worried that it'll be imminently obsolete. I've tried so many times to get reliable info on when it or a comparable replacement with the current WM5 OS version might be released -- but trying to get info from Cingular (either main support lines or local managers) has been totally useless and frustrating.

What are people's thoughts on the pros and cons of getting Cingular's "newly released" outdated "current version", vs. waiting endlessly for WM5 OS version?? The latter looks like it'll be FINALLY complete and functional, but am leery of waiting many many months.

Thanks in advance for any and all info / advice.

Mike Temporale
06-22-2005, 08:27 PM
What operating system is ever really complete and functional? There is always something else to improve, or features to add as new technologies emerg.

There is no replacement for the SMT5600 yet. At least nothing that's been announced. The current version is far from being outdated. There is nothing on the market that is newer than it. The only thing we know of that's coming out in the not to distant future is the C550 in Europe. And that's not being billed as a replacement to the C500.

Jerry Raia
06-22-2005, 11:33 PM
The 5600 is a great phone and it will still be a great phone even if you can't get WM5 for it. I have a personal problem in that I have to have the latest device but I must say I will have a hard time parting with my 5600 when the time comes. I cannot say the same for when I got rid of my MPx220. I'm still popping champagne corks over its departure. :lol:

HalM
06-23-2005, 12:04 PM
I cannot say the same for when I got rid of my MPx220. I'm still popping champagne corks over its departure. :lol:

Come on Jerry, give it a rest. You have moved from "sarcastic wit" to dull bitterness on this one.

Jerry Raia
06-23-2005, 01:32 PM
YES SIR! :P

jfreiman
06-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Every time a new OS version has arisen for the Windows Mobile platform (PocketPC & Smartphone) the new features always reflect/add features found in third party software.

Landscape viewing was one such feature which was available before the 2003SE release and made it into the new feature.

Also, the features in 2005 seem to be incemental on the surface and do not provide as many features as current 3rd party software for the same platform.

I for one will likely upgrade my SMT5600 in the next 12 months for a WM2005 phone, but it won't be for the new OS, it will be for more advanced hardware and features. Everything else I can do with add-on software like I do for my desktop.

ProjectVIP
06-27-2005, 06:34 PM
After reading EVERYTHING on this forum about the 5600, I dove headfirst into it and am not looking back. It does everything I want it to and more. I've got just about every accessory you can have for it now and am having a good time adjusting to all of them. The 1GB miniSD memory is great, and though I haven't downloaded video onto it yet, the audio works great. Got the 3.5mm to 2.5mm adaptor for the audio out as well as a Belkin FM transmitter and now can carry my music everywhere I go and play it anywhere I want. Got the Cardo Scala500 bluetooth headset and like it, but don't like that it tends to time itself out and turn off when not in use. I know this saves the battery, but I would like to disable this and don't think I can. Love the photo contacts and voice tags and just downloaded a few ringtones for the heck of it and it worked fine, once I looked up where they needed to go in storage in order to be accessible to the Contacts program. Having the PDF of the FULL user manual on my computer at home and at work is great and I've been able to find the solutions to all of my user issues there. I highly recommend having this document readily accessible. Haven't downloaded the free ClearVue software that Cingular has with the plan, but hope to do that this week.

Jerry Raia
06-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Glad to hear that. You can't go wrong with the 5600. :)

me
07-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Any smartphone you might possibly buy would be as you describe "imminently obsolete". One can always read about new better models and OSs coming out a few months later, and decide to wait for them, and never buy a phone! :lol:

Mike Temporale
07-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Any smartphone you might possibly buy would be as you describe "imminently obsolete". One can always read about new better models and OSs coming out a few months later, and decide to wait for them, and never buy a phone! :lol:

Very true. You have to pick a point in time and jump in. And then there are those of that keep jumping over and over. It really hurts the pocket book. ;) :lol:

Jerry Raia
07-01-2005, 04:16 PM

Very true. You have to pick a point in time and jump in. And then there are those of that keep jumping over and over. It really hurts the pocket book. ;) :lol:

Tell me about it 8O

Mike Temporale
07-02-2005, 01:25 AM
Tell me about it 8O

Ha-ha! That's right. No need to tell Jerry "Mr. new phone a month" Raia. :lol: ;)

Jerry Raia
07-02-2005, 06:30 AM
Yeah...I'm working on that, I'm gonna only change phones every 3 months from now on! :mrgreen:

joeonsunset
11-05-2005, 06:15 AM
At this time the price point for the SMT5600 is such that you may as well just get one. Although if you're like me you're constantly watching the expansys website waiting for one of the WM5 phones to make its way over to the US part of the site.

I'm pretty interesting in getting my hands on the imate SP5... looks like it shouldn't be too long now.

Jerry Raia
11-05-2005, 06:26 AM
Take a look under my signature pic. I have been busy. :lol:

Mike Temporale
11-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Take a look under my signature pic. I have been busy. :lol:

Oh! Jerry grabbed himself a mobile messenger! Nice. Tell us what it's like. (maybe we should start a new thread for this...)

Jerry Raia
11-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Yeah I did :)

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9579