View Full Version : Survey Says: Mobile Office Technology Means Longer Work Weeks

Mike Temporale
06-17-2005, 07:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.officeteam.com/PressRoom;jsessionid=CwZX1nzn5DxDdnY3LYsphbxRPS4JQ22ftzKJXHcyMT0d4Gp8H4S0!-2061335386!-1614551198' target='_blank'>http://www.officeteam.com/PressRoom;jsessionid=CwZX1nzn5DxDdnY3LYsphbxRPS4JQ22ftzKJXHcyMT0d4Gp8H4S0!-2061335386!-1614551198</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The future office will be increasingly mobile, with technology enabling employees to perform their jobs from virtually anywhere, according to Office of the Future: 2020, a research study recently released by OfficeTeam. But greater control over where and how people work won’t necessarily translate into more free time. Forty-two percent of executives polled said they believe employees will be working more hours in the next 10 to 15 years."</i><br /><br />Sweeeet! The mobile future is upon us. :mrgreen: and I, for one, don't mind working longer hours each day - As long as we can up the hours in the day. ;)

Sven Johannsen
06-17-2005, 08:31 PM
You don't understand. They want you to work longer hours and more days, for the same pay. Ask any old guy or gal. We have left the world of 8-5 (with an hour lunch) for always available, always on. In the middle of the country I get calls from the East coast during my commute to work, and I get them from the west coast on my commute home. My wife gets calls on Sunday on a three day weekend because some darned remote network monitoring center showed her phone system was down. (lightning knocked out the power, and the UPS breaker tripped). She went in to reset things.

Great deal for the company, we are salaried, but we are billed hourly.

P.S. as I re-read your comment, maybe I missed the sarcasm. I guess you mean if we had 36 hours in a day, you wouldn't mind working 10-12 of them?

Jason Dunn
06-17-2005, 11:52 PM
More hours in a work week? 8O I'm fortunate in that I'm self-employed and can work as much/little as I want, but most people are slaves to the grind and don't have much choice. There's got to be a breaking point here someplace...

Mike Temporale
06-18-2005, 02:10 AM
P.S. as I re-read your comment, maybe I missed the sarcasm. I guess you mean if we had 36 hours in a day, you wouldn't mind working 10-12 of them?

Bingo! Sorry, maybe I need another ;) or :roll: in there someplace.

Like Jason, I'm self-employed, and as things stand now, I work WAY to much. Unfortunately, I can't really choose my hours. Clients dictate the deadlines, and there isn't much room to negotiate that. :(

Jonathon Watkins
06-20-2005, 09:05 AM
There's already too many hours dedicated to work as it is. :?