View Full Version : Looking around for a new smartphone...

spg
06-14-2005, 12:28 AM
Hey folks,

Been a while since I've been around here, but I've been faithfully using my Mpx200 for almost two years now. The use has kinda worn on it though, and now I've got a couple wear and tear problems with it (loose SIM card, battery life extremely short). I've been looking around at the smartphones that are out on the market right now, and honestly I'm not all that impressed with the lineup. The SMT5600 seems to be the best option out there, but I really don't want a candy bar form factor.

Despite the fact that I'm really sold on the Windows Mobile OS, the Motorla RAZR V3 is really tempting to me right now because of it's design. Using Motorola software, I can sync up both contacts and calendar with Outlook (two of my biggest reasons for Windows Mobile). I know the OS on the V3 isn't nearly as advanced, but from all I've seen it looks like it could do plenty.

Any advice for me here? Any Windows Mobile smartphones I've overlooked?

Mike Temporale
06-14-2005, 01:48 AM
If you must have a flip style phone, then you're selection is extremely limited. You can choose from the Motorola MPx220 and the Samsung i600. That's about it. The Samsung is CDMA based, so you can't just pick one up and use it on your carriers network.

With any luck, we might just see more flip style devices when WM5 hits the streets, but I wouldn't hold your breath on that.

:(

spg
06-14-2005, 05:38 AM
Yeah, bummer... that is what I've been noticing. I've heard way too many bad things about the Mpx220 to try it, and since I'm on Cingular the i600 won't work. At this point I'm thinking it is a pretty safe bet that we won't see any new devices before WM5, and even then who knows for sure. It is surprising to me... flip phones seem to be the more popular option in the cell market in general, but Windows Mobile isn't really covering that area very well.

Damion Chaplin
06-14-2005, 09:35 PM
I've heard way too many bad things about the Mpx220 to try it, and since I'm on Cingular the i600 won't work.

That's interesting, because that's exactly the reason I chose the SMT5600 - I had heard too many bad things about the MPX200 (which you can pick up on the cheap on eBay). I daresay that if you were happy with your MPX200 then you'll probably be just fine with the 220.

That being said, the SMT5600 is really a sweet phone and it's so small you probably won't miss the clamshell style.

On the gripping hand, if all you need to do is sync your contacts and appointments, you'll be just fine with the RAZR. I had a SE T637 that used Sony software and it worked just fine (I just missed that windows logo, you know :wink: )

Jerry Raia
06-14-2005, 11:39 PM
The SMT5600 seems to be the best option out there, but I really don't want a candy bar form factor.

As a die hard clam shell user I can tell you I don't regret one day dumping my MPx220 for the SMT5600. You get over not having a clam shell real fast when the phone you have actually works better.

egads
06-15-2005, 03:34 PM
The SMT5600 seems to be the best option out there, but I really don't want a candy bar form factor.

As a die hard clam shell user I can tell you I don't regret one day dumping my MPx220 for the SMT5600. You get over not having a clam shell real fast when the phone you have actually works better.

How is your screen holding up? Cell phones are going to get bang'd up and it seems to me that a clamshell will protect the screen better. Most of the screens on candybar cell phones I've had get scratched after awhile, and I'm a VERY light user.

I'm also looking to get a Smartphone and I'm having a REAL hard time deciding which one to get, MPx220 or SMT5600????

Jerry Raia
06-15-2005, 03:46 PM
I have a Javo screen protector on mine. It is a must.