View Full Version : Audiovox SMT 5600 Active sync help

drevv
06-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Hi all, I’m posting in this forum for the first time, I’m trying to help out a friend of mine who is having some problems with his corporate e-mail syncing on Audiovox SMT 5600.
Unfortunately I’m not familiar with Active sync, I’m personally using Xpressmail for my e-mail on the Treo 650, so I will need your help guys on this one. He tried contacting Audiovox directly and was told that it was a problem with a Cingular server (I find it hard to believe), after spending an hour on the phone with Cingular technical support he was advised to contact Microsoft. So he’s being given a major run around, and I’m sensing that it’s nothing more then just minor setting adjustment within Active sync.

Here’s what he tells me: “I set my Outlook transfer up to transfer headers only, and today’s messages only. From the first time I connect the phone wants to transfer 4700bytes of data, independent of how many new messages there are. This process takes 45 minutes to transfer, so if I have the phone check every 30 minutes for new messages, the phone is transferring data 100% of the time. I even have to stop the data transfer to make a phone call”

Thank you all!

subzerohf
06-13-2005, 04:12 AM
I can feel your pain :? , because ActiveSync caused me a lot of headache too. But my problem had to do with the Exchange Server setup at my company. When all is done, it takes about 45 seconds, not minutes, to sync with no new messages. When there are new messages, it won't take more than 2 minutes. And I download the first 1K of the messages of the last 2 days, not just the header of today.

There is definitely something wrong with your friend's experience. I have no answer for you, but a couple of things to try...

You can try accessing some web sites, (like Smartphonethoughts.com) through IE on phone to see if the GPRS connection is really slow. It should take no more than 1 or 2 minutes to load the page, instead of 10 or 20 minutes.

If accessing a web page is not a problem, then I don't think it is Cingular's problem. Try accessing corporate email through OMA (Outlook Mobile Access), providing it is turned on by the your friend's network administrator.

If OMA works reasonably well, then it could be an ActiveSync problem, which I doubt it is. More likely it is an Exchange Server issue (or LotusNotes - whatever the corporate email server is). Then you need to talk to the network guy. I am not a network person. But these are my experience.

Good luck, you'll need it :lol: