View Full Version : HELP...Cingular or T-mobile???

Ash211
06-08-2005, 07:23 AM
I want an Audiovox 5600. I am looking to switch from Verizon to either Cingular or T-mobile. I live in SoCal (just North of LA) and was wondering who has the better service...Cingular or T-Mobile. I am looking for a voice plan with a moderate amount of min. and an unlimited data plan for the Audiovox. T-Mobile seems to have better prices but how is their service? What about data speeds compared to Cingular? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

joan_fl
06-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Does TMobile support the Audiovox 5600? I've had TMobile, and I currently have Cingular. I much prefer TMobile. At least where I live service is much better with TMobile. Customer Service with TMobile was much better too! :) All in all.. I suggest TMobile! :)

Sven Johannsen
06-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Currently T-Mobile does not sell the 5600, though it certainly works on their network if you get an unlocked one (or unlock it). I don't find much difference in the data speed. It would be different if the 5600 (or the MPX220) was an EDGE capable phone.

T-Mobile does have better rates, and I think better customer service, mostly because they need to, to compete with Cingular/ATTs coverage.

If where you go is covered by T-Mobile, and you can get an unlocked 5600, I'd go that way. If you go to more remote places, like Lompoc, Santa Maria, you'll get better coverage with Cingular, and you can get down to $100 on the phone or better.

I was with T-Mobile and my only complaint was the coverage. A great rate on a phone plan and great customer service doesn't make up for not being able to make calls. Still I would have stayed with T-Mobile if they had offerred a Smartphone. I'm now with Cingular.

gcherian
06-09-2005, 01:23 AM
Depends where you are located - price wise T-Mo is better - decent voice plans and 4.99 TZones would go perfect with the SMT5600. Just get one from ebay and unlock it. May be you can sign 1 year contract on TMobile and get a free phone and then sell it on ebay to cover some cost towards the SMT5600.

If coverage is an issue where you are then you have to go with cingular and the higher prices (especially the data).

(Note: I am a cingular customer!)

Ash211
06-09-2005, 07:11 AM
Yes, I was thinking of buying an unlocked 5600 (of course this would cost about $200 where I could get it for free with Cingular rebates). I was hoping to here from people in SoCal who have T-Mobile to find out how the coverage is. I heard that T-Mobile uses Cingular/ATT's cell sites. If this is true wouldn't it mean they would have the same coverage as Cingular?

Sven Johannsen
06-09-2005, 03:04 PM
Maybe someone can explain this technically but I can provide anecdotal information. Sitting in my office, my T-Mobile phone typically had a half a bar, occasionally I could neither make or receive a call. My currunt Cingular phone has four solid bars.

I had that same experience in Lompoc and Santa Maria. I was marginal on T-Mobile and my colleage on Cingular was fine. There were times though that neiter of us had service.

I had at times been actually roaming on a different network with my T-Mobile phone. It seems that if there is any T-Mobile available, the phone will snag it even if it is useless, rather than opting for the better signal and roaming.

Damion Chaplin
06-09-2005, 07:59 PM
As a Cingular customer, I can tell you their data plans suck.

Their 'unlimited' data plan is wacky-expensive. If you choose not to sign up for a plan, it's $.01 per KB (that's $10 per MB). I decided to go that route since I will rarely be using it for internet access. Maybe an occasional 20KB email...

If you plan on browsing the web or doing email, I wholeheartedly recommend TMo.

Vuvision
06-09-2005, 11:22 PM
I am with Tmobile. All depends on the coverage for your area. I am in Houston, TX and I was with Cingular for all but 1 week. Constant dropped calls, poor reception, and horrid voice quality. That said, when I was visiting relative in the So-Cal area (Anaheim, Riverside, OC area), I did experience weak signal in those areas with my SMT5600 Tmobile.

Tmobile does have a few weak spots in Houston, but all in all I am very happy with their service. Plus $4.99 unlimited internet plan to boot.

HTH

Sven Johannsen
06-10-2005, 05:18 AM
As a Cingular customer, I can tell you their data plans suck.
Their 'unlimited' data plan is wacky-expensive.
Not sure how Cingular's $24.95 plan is wacky expensive compared to T-Mobile's $19.95 plan (available if you have a $30 or better voice plan). For $5 more I can actually use it in significantly more locations. Seems many folks are OK with the $5 T-Zones access, but that does restrict you to certain ports as I understand it. If that's not an issue than sure, $25 is way more than $5, but if you need the full access, they are comparable.

Damion Chaplin
06-10-2005, 09:13 PM
This just in: Cingular's unlimited data account is now $19.99 a month. That's a little better. I seem to recall last time I asked, it was still $29.99. That was right when TMo announced their $20 unlimited plan, so I was interested in what Cingular had to offer...

I dun stood corrected. :)

Ash211
06-11-2005, 01:41 AM
This just in: Cingular's unlimited data account is now $19.99 a month. That's a little better. I seem to recall last time I asked, it was still $29.99. That was right when TMo announced their $20 unlimited plan, so I was interested in what Cingular had to offer...

I dun stood corrected. :)
Actually, just to verify...Cingular's unlimited MeDia Net access is $20 a month. MeDia Net only lets you go to about 20 different Cingular sponsored websites while Tmobile's unlimited Internet access lets you go to ANY website for $20 a month with a voice plan. If you want unlimited pocket pc / smartphone data plan for Cingular it is $45 bucks a month!!!

Jerry Raia
06-11-2005, 03:27 AM
Not true. I have unlimited MediaNet for 24.99 here in Los Angeles. I go anywhere on the Internet and sync with my exchanger server and check other email accounts. I have no data limit. Now if I wanted to use my phone as a modem for my laptop for example, then I run into the higher priced plans.