View Full Version : Bloated AV and Firewall software

Jerry Raia
06-03-2005, 12:01 AM
I just removed the bloated Norton AV from my desktop and installed Computer Associates antivirus. Has anyone here had any experience with it? I don't understand why these programs that started out so good end up just getting so bloated that they start interfering with everything. ZoneAlarm is another example. I had to remove it because It got to the point I couldn't do half of what I wanted on the internet without it stopping me! Norton was doing the same thing. I had given a program permission to do anything and I kept having to hit the OK button over and over as Norton AV kept stopping the program.

Mike Temporale
06-03-2005, 01:14 AM
I gave up on Norton's tools a couple years ago. They used to do good things, but they've lost it in the last couple years.

I've been using CA's AV for about 4-5 years. It's pretty good. However, I think I'll be switching to AVG AV once it's time to renew my licenses. It's still about a year away, but that's where I stand right now. CA also has a Smartphone and Pocket PC version. It should be included with your license.

Jerry Raia
06-03-2005, 02:05 AM
Hmmmm, I haven't seen anything about PPC or SP versions with what I got. I'll check their web site, not that there seems to be a need for those yet anyway. Norton AV was the last tool Symantec made that still worked well up till recently. The Internet tools etc. are total bloated disasters IMO.

Mike Temporale
06-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Where did you get your eTrust from, a store? I got mine from a software license place. Essentialy, direct from CA. I just bought the license (X copies) and media (1 copy).

On my install CD, I have the option to select the destination OS from Unix, Linux, Windows 3.x, Windows 9x, Windows NT/XP/..., and Windows Mobile Smartphone/Pocket PC.

Is this not the same on your version??

Jerry Raia
06-07-2005, 06:30 PM
No I picked it up in the store. Thats probably why I dont have those options.

Sven Johannsen
06-07-2005, 07:24 PM
I don't use AV or a firewall on my PPC...yet...but CA E-Trust is what our company uses. We are an IT company with 79,000 employees in 80 countries on 6 continents. I would suppose we have the background to make an informed decision on what to use and it seems to work pretty well.

Jerry Raia
06-07-2005, 07:45 PM
That is a pretty good endorsement :)

Mike Temporale
06-07-2005, 08:12 PM
I don't use AV or a firewall on my PPC...yet...but CA E-Trust is what our company uses. We are an IT company with 79,000 employees in 80 countries on 6 continents. I would suppose we have the background to make an informed decision on what to use and it seems to work pretty well.

Hmm, There's not too many companies that fit that bill.... Is your company name 3 words and the frist and third word start with the same letter? Commonly seen as just the abbreviation of those 3 words? You don't have to confirm. Just wondering.

I found out about CA's eTrust when a client of mine got hit with a virus on a Friday. I spent all day Friday, and Saturday trying to download different anti-virus tools to see who could clean it, with no luck. I ended up calling a buddy at Microsoft and he suggested eTrust, since that's what they use. Sure enough, it had no problems. Everything was back up and running by Sunday night. Monday morning, I arranged for 20+ licenses for that client. Then, I outfitted all mine servers and computers with it too. :D