View Full Version : Newbie question - need recommendation on potential smartphone

MGully
05-27-2005, 02:41 AM
I am a newbie to the smartphone market but believe I could possibly benefit from this device. I will be starting a new job out of college, consulting that requires alot of travel.

While on the road I want to only have two devices that need to allow me to phone, check email, keep a calendar and contacts, possibly surf the internet (bare minumum use) and play music. I believe the smartphone could help me out with the first four requirements and then get a mp3 player for the music.

What I need from you is your opinion on what I should look for. Here are some final requirements:
Needs to fit in my pants pocket (I may be able to change this but I've always traveled with a cellphone in my pocket and LIKE it. I like flipphones but this is not requirement)
I'll probably caring a laptop most of the time so major input can be through that
Finally it better look cool!!! HA HA ok this may not be a requirement but come on everyone wants the cool look.

So any opinions or direction that someone can point me in it would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Temporale
05-27-2005, 03:26 AM
What carrier are you with now? Do you have a preference? And you might want to check ot this thread (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7950) for some insight on Smartphones. ;)

hubzone
05-27-2005, 03:47 AM
I think the Audiovox 5600 is what you are looking for.. :)
Stay away from the mpx220.. :cry:

sracer
05-27-2005, 04:54 PM
I think the Audiovox 5600 is what you are looking for.. :)
Stay away from the mpx220.. :cry:
I agree. I'll be taking a week-long cross-country trip tomorrow and I'm leaving my notebook PC behind and only taking my SMT-5600. I've loaded up my 512MB miniSD card with 2 full-length movies, a few hours worth of music, a few games, some eBooks and plenty of room for document composition.

When I return I plan on writing a detailed review of my experience. I've had great success using an iPAQ 2215 and cell phone as my only devices, and I'm now looking forward to using only one. :)

MGully
05-27-2005, 08:22 PM
I am currently using Sprint for my cellphone service but my contract is up and I don't have a strong prefence for any one carrier.

So the couple of opinions that I have received state the Audiovox 5600, I'll take a look at it.

sracer can you put a miniSD card into the phone? What will you be watching the movies with?

Any other opinions welcomed!!

sracer
05-28-2005, 03:38 AM
I am currently using Sprint for my cellphone service but my contract is up and I don't have a strong prefence for any one carrier.

So the couple of opinions that I have received state the Audiovox 5600, I'll take a look at it.

sracer can you put a miniSD card into the phone? What will you be watching the movies with?

Any other opinions welcomed!!
Yes, the SMT-5600 takes miniSD cards. However, the card slot is under the battery, so you have to remove the cover and battery to get to the card. That is why I recommend buying the largest card you can (512MB minimum, 1GB preferred)

I'm a big fan of Microsoft's wmv (Windows Media Video) format. The 5600 includes Windows Media Player 10. I capture my movies on my notebook PC so that they play fullscreen (in landscape mode) on my phone. I then transfer the movies to the miniSD card (using a USB card reader... much faster than Activesync transfer), and drop the miniSD card into the phone.

sracer
06-03-2005, 05:32 AM
Ok, just got back from my trip. I'll be composing a mobile review of the SMT-5600 within the next few days, but my immediate reaction is, "AWESOME! PERFECT!"

subzerohf
06-13-2005, 04:21 AM
Hi, I have been using the SMT 5600 for a littel over than a month now. Awesome phone it is! From the bright screen, the camera, the music player (Windows Media Player 10), battery usage, ease of use, etc...

But I ought to warn you. The only possible weakness (IMO) of this phone is the navigation key. It is very very easy to miss what you intend to hit. I suggest you try out the real thing, a working demo unit, and see if it bothers you.

MGully
06-19-2005, 02:11 AM
Thanks for all the info., I will look forward to seeing your feedback sracer