View Full Version : What do you hate most about Windows Mobile phones?

SnozBerries
05-19-2005, 05:20 AM
A reply in another thread got me thinking, what is the number one thing I hate about the Windows Mobile phones, and why?

I would have to agree with the original person's comment, in saying ActiveSync. When I connect my SMT5600 to my computer (and work computer), it connects as a USB device, and then a second later ActiveSync recognizes it. Now sometimes ActiveSync will keep the connection active (which is what it should do), but 75% of the time it will disconnect after 30 to 60 seconds. It is still physically connected and receiving a battery charge, but there is no PC <---> Phone communication at this point. This means I cannot deploy applications to it through VS.NET, nor can I browse the phone from the PC.

As for the phone itself, I absolutely love it. I never have to manually type in peoples names and phone numbers - I can just manage all that information from my desktop in Outlook (when ActiveSync feels like working). The phone has been rock solid for me. Even when I have one or no bars of signal, it still works w/o hardly any interruptions. All my friends are continually amazed at what my phone can do – play movies, games, check traffic conditions, weather updates, etc. The dust under the SMT5600 screen is unfortunate, but I’m able to look past it.

I won’t be leaving the Windows Mobile world any time soon, but I hope Microsoft and the phone manufactures can work out the PC <---> Phone connection problems that I've been seeing.

Mike Temporale
05-19-2005, 01:08 PM
There are a number of things I don't like with Windows Mobile. The two main ones are the Bluetooth implementation, and the missing File Sync conduit in Active Sync. I think both of these are holding back the future of Windows Mobile. :(

We ran a front page post on this a little while back. If you want to read what 50 some odd people hate about their phones, here's the link. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7617) Oh, and to be fair, here's a post (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7675) with reasons why we love our phones. ;)

xultar
05-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Hummmm Letmeethink......

The Carriers and the Manufacturers = No Upgrades

Sven Johannsen
05-19-2005, 04:51 PM
You know, if you had a files conduit, it would likely wind up filling up your memory, since AS only syncs to main RAM (User ROM? in a smartphone).
Now if AS sync'd to a memory card, I would lament the lack of file sync. Same goes for the lack of Notes sync. Of course if those sank, there's no app to view them :roll:

Strange thing, I have no problems with AS hanging on to the connection, whether that is PPCs or Smartphones. Sometimes I think it has more to do with the USB hardware and drivers than AS itself.

I'm not crazy about the BT implementation. Neither my 5600 or 220 work with my car set, at all. (Razr and T610 work fine).

Then there is the lack of real choice in Smartphones in the US. (at a reasonable price, with support)

joan_fl
05-19-2005, 07:23 PM
75% of the time it will disconnect after 30 to 60 seconds.
I havn't had this problem (SMT 5600). I leave it connected overnight, wake up transfer files, and out the door.