View Full Version : Link To Open A Folder?

me
05-15-2005, 08:46 AM
Of course one can do that on the desktop PC, create a .lnk shortcut to open a particular folder. That works on the Pocket PC as well.

I tried to do it with my SMT5600. I created a shortcut link to a folder, and put the link in the Start Menu folder.

On reboot, the link appeared in my Start Menu. However, clicking it only gets an error message.

So shortcuts on the SM only work for applications, not to open a folder? Can a shortcut be to a data file, to be opened with its associated application?

Is it possible that instead of making the link directly to the folder, should the link be to "File Manager", with an argument to open that folder? If so, what is the exact syntax I could use?

Thank you.

Mike Temporale
05-15-2005, 02:24 PM
I don't know that this can be done. Since there is no standard file explorer (anything that came preloaded on your device is a gift from the OEM. It's not from Microsoft.)

me
05-15-2005, 11:38 PM
I don't know that this can be done. Since there is no standard file explorer (anything that came preloaded on your device is a gift from the OEM. It's not from Microsoft.)

Really? The program "File Manager for Smartphone" doesn't come with the SmartPhone OS? Was that one added by Audiovox to the SMT5600? (I added a couple other ones to try out, like Resco, but I'm pretty sure the one mentioned came on the phone.)

Amazing that an OS would come without any way to see and manage the files on it!

Mike Temporale
05-16-2005, 01:47 AM
Really? The program "File Manager for Smartphone" doesn't come with the SmartPhone OS? Was that one added by Audiovox to the SMT5600? (I added a couple other ones to try out, like Resco, but I'm pretty sure the one mentioned came on the phone.)

Yup, that's right. It was actually HTC that added it, but it's the same difference. ;)

Amazing that an OS would come without any way to see and manage the files on it!

No not really. My SE T68i doesn't have a file manager, neither do any of my other phones. The file system can be a really scary thing for the average user, and the Smartphone is aimed at the average user. Not the tech savy geeks like us. ;)

me
05-16-2005, 06:37 AM
No not really. My SE T68i doesn't have a file manager, neither do any of my other phones. The file system can be a really scary thing for the average user, and the Smartphone is aimed at the average user. Not the tech savy geeks like us. ;)

I'm not familar with SE T68i (is it a smartphone?),but a Windows Mobile device, whether a PPC or a Smartphone, should include a File Manager. (I guess that's why HTC added one, but IMO it's a serious omission by Microsoft not to have included one.)

Concerning "average users" and "geeks"---the average smartphone user is probably quite different than the average phone user--he or she probably IS a "geek"!

Besides, including a File Manager doesn't mean anyone has to use it. (And be "realy scared" by it!) A File Manager (Windows Explorer) comes with Windows XP, although I'm sure the percentage of XPs users who are "non-geeks" is much higher than with Windows Mobile. Many users may not use Explorer, but it's still there, as it should be, as it also should be on Smartphones.

Jerry Raia
05-17-2005, 01:57 AM
the Smartphone is aimed at the average user. Not the tech savy geeks like us. ;)

Who are you calling a geek???

Mike Temporale
05-17-2005, 02:03 AM
the Smartphone is aimed at the average user. Not the tech savy geeks like us. ;)

Who are you calling a geek???

:mrgreen:

eliteramen
02-21-2007, 01:28 AM
I'd like to reopen this issue now that we have WinMo5 as standard, and WinMo6, well, Standard on the horizon. d-:

I am a user of Right Menu, which remaps your soft keys ("Start" and "Contacts") to editable popup menus. Since I am replacing my Start key, I no longer have access to the default Start Menu application, which makes it hard for me to run a program that isn't configured in Right Menu.

So one solution to this problem is to create a shortcut (.LNK file) to Windows\Start Menu. However, this generates an error, as noted above. Anybody know a workaround?

Or, even better ... anybody know of another way to run the Start Menu application (besides the "Start" key, which I no longer have)?

[eR]