View Full Version : Microsoft Device Emulator 1.0 Community Preview

Peter Foot
05-12-2005, 06:00 AM
"The Microsoft Device Emulator 1.0 Community Preview is a standalone version of the same ARM based Device Emulator that ships as part of Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2. The standalone emulator is intended for situations when you want to demonstrate or test your application on a computer that does not have Visual Studio 2005 installed. The emulator ships with support for Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition."

This has been released at the same time as the Windows Mobile 5.0 SDKs but hasn't received the same coverage. This is a really neat tool if you want to demonstrate your applications on a PC which doesn't have any development tools. The software emulates an ARM CPU so you can run regular off-the-shelf device software on it (previously emulators shipped with the development tools required a specific X86 build). While this includes Smartphone 2003 SE images you can use it in combination with the Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK to install the latest device images. To download the Emulator follow the instructions on the product page (http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/windowsmobile/downloads/emulatorpreview/default.aspx).

ctitanic
05-12-2005, 04:50 PM
That would be good if they made it with WM5. I'm sure that many developers are dying to know if their application works in the new OS. ;)

Sven Johannsen
05-12-2005, 04:57 PM
That would be good if they made it with WM5. I'm sure that many developers are dying to know if their application works in the new OS. ;)

It is.

palewar
05-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Hi,

Thanks for posting regarding independent availability of ARM emulator community edition.

I tried to download it, unfortunately it seems to have been removed from beta availability on MS site. Can you please check or let me know of any other alternative location, from where I can download ARM emulator.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kris Kumar
05-13-2005, 05:23 PM
I downloaded it today. I clicked on the link to Betaplace on this page. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/windowsmobile/downloads/emulatorpreview/default.aspx)

And then logged into Betaplace [and I have an existing Betaplace account], used the MSDEVICE as the guest ID. And was able to download the file.

shareef
05-13-2005, 10:55 PM
While this includes Smartphone 2003 SE images you can use it in combination with the Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK to install the latest device images.
Has anyone been able to use the emulator with a WM5 image (to test existing WM2003 apps under WM5)?

Kris Kumar
11-28-2005, 04:34 AM
While this includes Smartphone 2003 SE images you can use it in combination with the Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK to install the latest device images.
Has anyone been able to use the emulator with a WM5 image (to test existing WM2003 apps under WM5)?

I would like to know the same thing.

Is there a WM 5.0 image available for this emulator?