View Full Version : Can SmartPhone OS be upgraded

dwchan69
05-11-2005, 10:49 PM
I am in the process of purchasing the AudioVox SMT5600, but also heard that Windows Mobile 5.0 has just been release. I was wondering if SmartPhone device can be upgrade like PDA? Also, if the SMT5600 can be upgrade to v5.0 when it become available in Fall?

dwc

Mike Temporale
05-12-2005, 01:47 AM
Just like the PDA world, the phone can be upgraded. However that doesn't mean that an upgrade will be released. Unlike the PDA world, here you have an extra level. With PDA's you go to the manufacturer of your device for the upgrade. In the Smartphone world, the manufacturer doesn't sell to the end user (us), they sell to the carrier. So here you have to wait for the manufacturer to release an upgrade, and for the carrier to test it on their network, and then release it to us. :? Not a lot of fun. :(

cortez
05-12-2005, 03:48 AM
...or you can wait untill it's leaked on the internet. of course, if you upgrade your phone using a "leaked" version, you risk turning your phone into an expensive paperweight!

dwchan69
05-12-2005, 02:59 PM
In the past, when an new OS is available for a device (assuming the upgrade is possible), what is the typical wait time before the providers upgrade the OS on the SmartPhone (i.e. month, 3 months, just wanted a rough number)

Does ths also apply to PDA phone like devices?

dwc

SnozBerries
05-16-2005, 07:48 AM
In the past, when an new OS is available for a device (assuming the upgrade is possible), what is the typical wait time before the providers upgrade the OS on the SmartPhone (i.e. month, 3 months, just wanted a rough number)

When was the last official OS upgrade that was made available? Was it Verizon with Smartphone 2003? I seem to remember that it took them several (maybe 6 or so) months.

The chances of your (and my) SMT5600 seeing an upgrade is probably zero. But there is always hope; just don't expect it.

subzerohf
06-01-2005, 03:26 PM
I am in the process of purchasing the AudioVox SMT5600, but also heard that Windows Mobile 5.0 has just been release. I was wondering if SmartPhone device can be upgrade like PDA? Also, if the SMT5600 can be upgrade to v5.0 when it become available in Fall?

dwc

I had exactly the same thought a month ago when I was about to purchase my SMT5600. But I learned from the forum that the chance of upgrading is close to zero. I bought the phone anyway, because most users are happy with it, and WM 2003 is mature with little problems. And the way I see it, the smartphone market is rapidly evolving. In a couple of years, the SMT5600 will be out of date in terms of trend and functionality - it's time to get another phone then. And Windows Mobile 2005 will be mature then.

Darius Wey
06-02-2005, 03:20 AM
...or you can wait untill it's leaked on the internet. of course, if you upgrade your phone using a "leaked" version, you risk turning your phone into an expensive paperweight!

Not just that, but you void your warranty too. :(

Jerry Raia
06-03-2005, 02:44 AM
For those of you who remember the i600 upgrade mess, even when you use the official upgrade you can turn your phone into a paper weight. No question, don't mess with the Internet versions unless you are a thrill seeker!

:microwave: