View Full Version : Backup???

me
05-07-2005, 12:08 AM
For background, I just got my first smartphone (SMT5600, unlocked it, using with T-Mobile USA)a couple of days ago. I am familiar with the PPC version of Windowsmobile, as I have been using my IPAQ 2210 for a couple years now. But there sure seem to be a lot of differences between the PPC and Smartphone versions of this OS! (I am glad that in the next version, Microsoft plans to have the same vesion for all devices.)

Having spent hours now configuring the smartphone (although still much more to configure), I wanted to back it up, worried about losing all my configuration if there is a hard reset. (which has happened more than once on my IPAQ). I am not really concerned about backing up the PIM data, as that is all on my destop PC, in Outlook, as well as on my IPAQ. But I would be concerned about having to start over from scratch in configuring the phone, adding apps, etc.

So--in ActiveSync (3.8)I went to Tools, Backup/Restore. I have used that with my IPAQ, and it works to restore the IPAQ to the state it was at when backed up.

But-----when I open the Tools menu when the smartphone is connected, the Backup/Restore command in that menu is grayed out! I cannot back up the device that way.

Could this be some kind of problem with my settings? If so, I would appreciate it if someone told me how to fix it. Or---does that Backup command not work on a smartphone, but only on a PPC? If so, what on earth could have caused Microsoft to disable the backup function on smartphones?

If there is no way to backup my configuration with included software, are there any apps I could download that would do this? (Once again, I don't really care about backing up the PIM data. Most concerned about the device configuration, and it would also be nice if installed apps could be restored after a hard reset, without having to reinstall them one by one.

I would greatly appreciate any tips on this. Thank you.

Kris Kumar
05-07-2005, 01:16 AM
I use Sprite Backup (http://www.spritesoftware.com/en/personal/products/windows_mobile/smart_phone.htm) for backing up the entire Smartphone - apps, settings, contacts, mail etc etc...

I have never used the ActiveSync Backup/Restore. Actually didn't even know that Smartphone had a grayed out option. :oops: Have to check it out.

jU1ceBoXx
05-07-2005, 02:52 AM
2nd vote for Sprite Backup, I don't know of any other backup solutions for the smartphone.

With regards to the grayed out option for backup/restore under the tools menu, I was under the impression that it is not an option for the smartphone platform only for the pocket pc.

These options are available when my dell pocket pc is connected but not my smartphone.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

me
05-07-2005, 03:44 AM
2nd vote for Sprite Backup, I don't know of any other backup solutions for the smartphone.

With regards to the grayed out option for backup/restore under the tools menu, I was under the impression that it is not an option for the smartphone platform only for the pocket pc.

These options are available when my dell pocket pc is connected but not my smartphone.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Well, since backup/restore is grayed out with a smartphone connection for both of us, it probably is for everyone, unless we both have some setting wrong. That's screwed! Microsoft, are you listening? Why grayed out for smartphone?

I looked up the link to Sprite Backup. It looks good. I have a couple qualms though. Unlike most mobile software, no trial version, no shareware, etc. You have to pay up front, even to try it.

Also, quite expensive for a small utility for a mobile phone--$30! That's a lot just to save my configuration! (I suppose the program has many bells and whistles I don't need. Alll I need is a way to save my settings, in case of hard reset. Something that should be built into the OS, but apparently isn't.

Isn't there a freeware or less expensive app that will do this?

Mike Temporale
05-07-2005, 04:00 PM
That's strange, they used to have a trial version available. Not sure why they've pulled it. I did notice they have updated their site, so maybe it's just got lost in the update? :?

Jerry Raia
05-14-2005, 12:29 AM
Yeah even Handango doesn't have the demo. I would insist on a demo because this software doesn't always work on all phones. I have had trouble with it on both the MPx220 and the SMT5600. In both cases the scheduled backup does not work and no help from developer after months of messages back and forth on their forum.

jU1ceBoXx
05-14-2005, 05:46 AM
Yeah even Handango doesn't have the demo. I would insist on a demo because this software doesn't always work on all phones. I have had trouble with it on both the MPx220 and the SMT5600. In both cases the scheduled backup does not work and no help from developer after months of messages back and forth on their forum.

I also had a problem with scheduled backup function of Sprite backup and my SMT5600, a note to the developer didn't resolve my problem but I managed to figure it out on my own. You don't mention what your problem was so I'll list some of the solutions that I found for my problem.

1st set the backup location to your desired location PC or Storage Card (I chose Storage Card)

Then click menu and select to include Personal & System Data, there are some other optional settings in this menu.

Select advanced backup options (option 3 from menu) click on manage old backup files automatically.

Back to Menu select option 4 Backup Schedule the click change with softkeys. Click on Enable Schedule. Set your schedule and here you can set where on the storage card it saves your backup files by default it saves the files in the root directory of the storage card. Before I changed this option Sprite backup was not properly managing my backup files. I made a backup folder using file manager and asked Sprite backup to save my backup files to this folder. Since I did this Sprite backup has been properly managing the backup files. I hope this also resolves your problems......Worth a try!

They need to improve their communications with their customers and not bury some of these options nested 3 deep in a sub-menu.

Good Luck!

me
05-14-2005, 01:27 PM
That's strange, they used to have a trial version available. Not sure why they've pulled it. I did notice they have updated their site, so maybe it's just got lost in the update? :?

It's not accidental. Their web page says something about not having a trial version, giving a lame excuse something to the effect that one cannot really try out a backup program. (Why not?)

Instead, they offer a 30 day money-back warranty, so you could ask for your money back if you don't like the program.

Still, they should have a trial version, like practically all other WM software has.

me
05-14-2005, 01:35 PM
I ended up buying the program. One problem with it though.

It works for me to backup to storage card. But when I try to backup to PC, I always get an error message, and it does not backup. I have even tried it right after rebooting the PC, with all startup programs disabled, only ActiveSync running, having just rebooted the Smartphone as well. Never works.

I think it's good to do both, backing up to storage card and to PC. The storage card option could come in handy if the phone's main memory loses all data when one is not near one's PC. If the storage card data is still there, one can restore from storage card.

However, what if the storage card data is damaged as well? Or if one loses the phone, gets a new one, and wants to configure it the same as the old one, by restoring the data from the old phone to the new one? One would need to have the data on a PC.

Of course one can copy the backup files from the storage card to a PC, but it sure would be simpler if the Backup to PC function worked!

Has anyone got that function to work? (I am using an SMT5600.)

nerdeff
12-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Its good for smartphones 2002 and 2003 - Sunnysoft Backup Manager (http://smartphone.mobiletopsoft.com/getproduct.php?pname=Sunnysoft+Backup+Manager+SP+1.20) for complete device backup

cooleaf
02-23-2006, 01:38 PM
vote for Spirit backup 8)

gai-jin
03-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Do you mean sprite backup? Or is there another program called spirit backup?

And, it's my understanding sprite doesn't support wm5 yet... anyone have a good backup solution for wm5 devices?

Jerry Raia
03-04-2006, 08:27 PM
There is so far no WM5 Smartphone backup. Sprite has a WM5 backup for Pocket PC devices but so does Spb. I use Spb for my 8125.