View Full Version : Volume Problems on Audiovox SMT5600?

me
05-06-2005, 06:59 PM
I just got an Audiovox SMT5600 smartphone from Ebay, and had it unlocked. (It had been locked to ATT.) I am using it on T-Mobile.

I find the volume on the phone to be very low, even when the volume is turned up all the way with the volume control on the left side of the phone.

Any way to improve the volume on this phone? Has that been a problem with some of these phones? Is there a firmware upgrade that would fix it? (I couldn't find one on the Audiovox web site.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Kris Kumar
05-07-2005, 01:23 PM
SMT5600 does not have any volume issues. (It's the other phone the MPx220 that has voice issues.) And there is no firmware upgrade for the SMT5600.

The one thing I would like to mention is that, you should increase the volume while you have an active call. If you increase the volume when there is no call, it just increases the speaker volume for media player or games.

Since you mentioned you just bought it, try a hard reset. If previous owner has messed up some software setting, then it will get fixed.

All the best :-)

Mike Temporale
05-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Since you mentioned you just bought it, try a hard reset. If previous owner has messed up some software setting, then it will get fixed.

That's a good suggestion. And don't worry about the unlock, it will stay unlocked after you hard reset it. :)

me
05-07-2005, 05:38 PM
SMT5600 does not have any volume issues. (It's the other phone the MPx220 that has voice issues.) And there is no firmware upgrade for the SMT5600.

The one thing I would like to mention is that, you should increase the volume while you have an active call. If you increase the volume when there is no call, it just increases the speaker volume for media player or games.

All the best :-)

I already spent hours configuring though, and don't have a way to back it up yet, so am not too eager to do a hard reset. (I wish I knew about that when I first got it, how to do a hard reset!)

Supposedly "New in Box, with all Original Accessories", so supposedly the phone was never used. However, I now have my doubts about that. It came in a box, looks like it could be new (no scratches that I noticed), but certainly does not have "all original accessories". No CD in the box, no SIM card. (Of course I don't need the latter, which would have been for ATTW.) THere was a case and a headset in the box, but not the "original" ones, not what is supposed to come with the unit. Not the Audiovox stereo headset that is supposed to come with it, but a very cheap generic regular monaural phone headset, probably only cost a couple bucks, and a very cheap case as well, definitely not the one pictured as coming with the unit. I also noticed that the serial number on the box is not the same as the one on the phone, in the battery compartment. So, they put "a" phone in "a" box, with some cheap accessories, and advertise it as "new in box with all original accessories", which would lead one to believe it's the same as if one bought a new phone direcly from ATTW/Cingular.

I complained to the seller about this, and asked that he refund me enough money to buy the original accessories from Audiovox, and also asked for a copy of the CD, if he could get one. So far, he has declined, and even made the ridiculous statement that the monaural headset he sent me (very cheap-looking no-name generic) is higher quality than the Audiovox stereo headset that is supposed to be included!

I don't think I would ever buy a phone from Ebay again, and would recommend against it to others. There may be a few honest phone-sellers there, but there are a lot of charlatans mispresenting what they are selling. How do I know this phone wasn't stolen or something, with a different serial number on the box than on the phone? Or a defective phone?

Sorry, I went OT there from the volume issue. I guess when you mentioned "previous user", I mentioned that supposedly there wasn't one, that it is supposed to be "new", but I have my doubts about that now. Perhaps there should be a separate thread about the perils of buying a phone from Ebay, with a list of dishonest sellers to avoid. (Of course they can always get new Ebay IDs, etc.)

Kris Kumar
05-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Sorry to hear about the eBay experience. I am also pretty scared about buying stuff from eBay. I haven't bought many items but have had my share of bad experiences. :-(

Getting back on the topic. If you ever do decide to do a hard reset. Re-install all the apps. Do not backup the phone before the reset and then restore the backup after reset. Reason: the backup might also carry forward the setting that is causing the low volume.

Another suggestion. BT headset makes a wonderful accessory for this phone. ;-)

me
05-08-2005, 12:13 AM

Yes, I am thinking of getting one. Any recommendations? Are there any comparative reviews out comparing several recent models?

Of course though, the phone should also get decent volume when used without a headset.

Mike Temporale
05-08-2005, 02:19 PM

Yes, I am thinking of getting one. Any recommendations? Are there any comparative reviews out comparing several recent models?

There is plenty of talk around here about the different bluetooth headsets and which one people prefer. I don't think there is any clear winner. I'm using the Moto Hs810 (I think?) and it works great. The people I've asked, said it sounds the same as when I'm using the phone. So the quality is very good. Of course, I really want the Bluespoon AX - one day it will be mine!

Of course though, the phone should also get decent volume when used without a headset.

I agree. Mine works fine. Maybe it's something internal, like the speaker isn't aligned correctly? If it's been dropped (not by you) it's possible that it might have giggle loose, or slipped out of position. Just a thought.