View Full Version : Problems with SMT5600 and BT GPS with Mapopolis

PDADoc
05-06-2005, 02:15 PM
Has anyone had problems getting their GPS unit to work with Mapopolis, or any other GPS mapping program, for that matter?

I've gone into settings over and over to make sure that the proper COM ports are activated (COM 7 on mine) and input the settings into the GPS config in Mapopolis, but whenever I try to start the GPS, I get the message that COM 7 is not available.

Whatsmore, whenever I try to use the auto-detect function to find the proper COM port, it hangs on "checking COM0". I'm ready to pull my hair out on this one or throw the darn phone out the window.

If anyone can help me with this I would be eternally grateful!

Picasosz
05-07-2005, 04:15 AM
go to active sync I know that sounds weird but here is how I got mune to work select setup BT Active sync it will take you to bond with BT device then go to start configurations and find BT serial Port setup make sure both com 6 and com 7 are checked. Try that I am doing it from memory as I have the new cingular 5600 and it is much easier.

Kris Kumar
05-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Start -> Configurations -> BT SerialPortSetup

I am not sure which one is to be enabled, the inbound or the outbound. Try both. ;-) And long time ago when I had tried Mapopolis. I had to manually select the COM port. Auto did not work.

PDADoc
05-08-2005, 03:22 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

Kris, you misunderstood me in my first post:

I already had done all that, and the COM ports are indeed activated.

But for some reason, it's not working, even when I manually choose COM 7.

I'm going to try Picasosz's idea later.

Thanks, guys.

Picasosz
05-11-2005, 05:50 PM
You Have to set uo BT activesync. 1. Delete GPS device from BT devices. 2. Set Up BT Activesync (it will take you in to BT devices Select New Device) 3. Pair with your GPS receiver. 4. Done Done Done. 5. Start mapopolis (make sure you that auto start GPS is not checked) 6. Select GPS Settings. 7. Set Com Port to com 7. 8. Start GPS

sojourner753
01-07-2006, 02:56 AM
You Have to set uo BT activesync. 1. Delete GPS device from BT devices. 2. Set Up BT Activesync (it will take you in to BT devices Select New Device) 3. Pair with your GPS receiver. 4. Done Done Done. 5. Start mapopolis (make sure you that auto start GPS is not checked) 6. Select GPS Settings. 7. Set Com Port to com 7. 8. Start GPS

I've tried this and keep getting the same error.

GPS Port (COM7:) is not available. If this problem continues, you may need to soft-reset your device.

Naturally a soft-reset doesn't change anything.

hotdram
01-07-2006, 04:29 AM
I have my SYSON Smart Blue Mini BT GPS paired with my SMT-5600 and I use Mapopolis. I had issues getting the phone and GPS to "talk" occasionally. Sometimes it would work right away and sometimes I had to cycle the phone power. I have since done the following:
Set the GPS to use Com Port 6 on the phone
Under GPS Settings in Mapopolis, select Com Port 6 and set baud rate to 38400
Set Mapopolis to "Auto-Start GPS" when the program is turned on.

Now I turn my BT GPS on first, then I start Mapopolis from the the phone (GPS does not have to have acquired a fix to start, it just needs to be on). Also, I always leave blue-tooth running on my phone, if you don't, I would turn on bluetooth before you turn on the GPS and start the aplication. I haven't had any problems since. The first time it found the GPS, I had to enter the pairing code (0000) in. Now I never have to enter that or answer the question "A device is trying to connect, do you want to allow...."

Try www.gpspassion.com if you can't get it figured out. They have forums over there, and one of them is dedicated to Mapopolis.

EDIT: With the "Auto-Start GPS" option selected, I get the "Com Port 6 is not available......." error when I start the program ONLY IF I have not turned on the GPS.
~Rob

sojourner753
01-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I found a thread on gpspassion that helped me but now I can't find it in a search or remember how I found it. I was going to post it here.