View Full Version : SMT5600 on T-Mobile USA.

me
04-30-2005, 06:48 AM
How has this worked for people who use that phone on T-Mobile? How is the Internet access (GPRS and CSD)?

Any comments on how it has worked for you would be appreciated. THank you.

Mike Temporale
04-30-2005, 12:10 PM
You shouldn't have any problems using the phone on T-Mo's network. You'll need to load it up with the correct settings for T-Mo if you want the GPRS to work. I think there are a couple different posts around here that list the settings.

:)

jU1ceBoXx
05-01-2005, 11:01 PM
How has this worked for people who use that phone on T-Mobile? How is the Internet access (GPRS and CSD)?

Any comments on how it has worked for you would be appreciated. THank you.

I have a SMT5600 that I'm using on the T-Mobile network and couldn't be happier. The best tutorial in getting any windows based smartphone set to work properly on the T-Mobile network, can be found on HoFo here:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=e9efabd229061b4a9808ac73f42145a7&threadid=576307

I'm very satisfied with the results of my decision....

bitbank
05-01-2005, 11:30 PM
I've got the MPX200, MPX220 and SMT5600 all unlocked and running on T-Mobile. My current favorite is the SMT5600; it has good battery life and excellent signal reception.

L.B.

me
05-05-2005, 04:26 AM
My SMT5600 just came this evening, so I have just started to play with it.

A couple of things I don't understand so far. (I have not yet tried to do the GPRS and MMS settings, I'll probably do that later this evening.)

I unlocked the phone using the IMEI-check service recommended here, insertedd my T-Mobile SIM card, and it seems to work. The phone boots up now.

On bootup though, I still see the Mmode logo (an ATTW marketing thing), and it takes a long time to boot up, showing that logo. Is there a way I can get rid of the MMode thing? Will that speed up boot-up time?

And then, when it is booted up. I see "ATT Wireless". Later it is changed to "Cingular". But wait---my T-Mobile SIM card is inserted, I must be connected to T-Mobile, not ATTW or Cingular. Why does the phone say I am connected to either ATTW or Cingular?

Also, there is a logo at the top left when booted up, m>, which I assume is also related to "Mmode". How do I get rid of that ATT branding?

Thanks to anyone who can help with this.

Mike Temporale
05-05-2005, 12:25 PM
On bootup though, I still see the Mmode logo (an ATTW marketing thing), and it takes a long time to boot up, showing that logo. Is there a way I can get rid of the MMode thing? Will that speed up boot-up time?

You can change it if you like. It's just an operator logo, it won't speed anything up.

All the AT&T and Cingular stuff you see is just branding. Check out this post on how to remove it. If it really bugs you. ;)

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7335

me
05-06-2005, 05:57 AM

You can change it if you like. It's just an operator logo, it won't speed anything up.

All the AT&T and Cingular stuff you see is just branding. Check out this post on how to remove it. If it really bugs you. ;)

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7335

Thanks for the link.

I wonder though, why it always says I am connected to either Cingular or ATT Wireless, and never to T-Mobile?

Mike Temporale
05-06-2005, 01:47 PM
I wonder though, why it always says I am connected to either Cingular or ATT Wireless, and never to T-Mobile?

Do you see the roaming indicator in the top title bar too? If so, then you might need to adjust the preferred network. Start / Settings / Phone / Networks - Menu / Preferred Networks I would add the US T-Mo's and move them above any Cingular and AT&T listing.

me
05-06-2005, 06:17 PM

Do you see the roaming indicator in the top title bar too? If so, then you might need to adjust the preferred network. Start / Settings / Phone / Networks - Menu / Preferred Networks I would add the US T-Mo's and move them above any Cingular and AT&T listing.

I don't know what the roaming indicator looks like. WIth my previous phone, a Motorola V60, the connection always showed "T-Mobile", never another network. (I am in the Los Angeles area.)

I suspect the phone probably is connected to T-Mobile, but is incorrectly reporting being connected to Cingular or ATTW, perhaps due to the branding.

I have tried what you mention in your second paragraph, regarding setting "Preferred Networks". Here is what happens-- I get a message that says:

"Downloading settings from network.............", for a couple of seconds, then it reverts to the home screen.

I have tried several times, always the same result. Any suggestions?

Islanti
05-11-2005, 01:46 AM
This is a known issue in Southern California and Nevada. T-Mobile historically didn't have their own network. Instead, they piggybacked on Cingular's network. T-Mobile phones have a special setting to show those cellular towers as "T-Mobile". It's normal behavior, and nothing to worry about.

FWIW, T-Mobile bought these towers as part of the Cingular/AT&T merger (Cingular will use AT&T's network in SoCal). Eventually I'd expect T-Mobile to switch the identification, but don't hold your breath for this to happen any time soon.

You can change the network name to "T-Mobile" pretty easily. Go into the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RIL\OperatorNames\ and create a new String Value key named "31017". Make the value of the key "T-Mobile" and reboot your phone. When it comes up, it'll show "T-Mobile" as the network name.

It's not a complete change. You'll still have the roaming icon (this is the triangle on the home screen). Note that this is purely cosmetic as you're not charged.

MTDude
05-11-2005, 08:02 AM
Thanks for explaining it so completely to us So. Cal. people.