View Full Version : Unlocking SMT5600?

me
04-30-2005, 06:45 AM
Getting fed up with the poor phone selection offered by T-Mobile USA, considering buying a SMT5600 through Ebay. There are many for sale there, I guess Cingular unloaded those locked to ATT.

Some are listed as unlocked, others as "can be unlocked", others only say "for use on ATT Wireless" network, and don't mention unlocking at all.

Can all the SMT5600s be unlocked? I wonder due to those in which there is no mention in the ad of unlocking, whether perhaps those cannot be unlocked, or whether the seller just didn't think of mentioning it? (If some fo those phones cannot be unlocked from ATTW, they are totally useless to anyone, as ATTW does not exist any more.)

Will Cingular unlock SMT5600s locked to ATTW. If so, is it free, or is there a charge for that?

I know there are online phone-unlocking services. How do those outfits get the codes? Any recommmendations? Lowest price, while reliable?

Mike Temporale
04-30-2005, 12:07 PM
Getting fed up with the poor phone selection offered by T-Mobile USA, considering buying a SMT5600 through Ebay. There are many for sale there, I guess Cingular unloaded those locked to ATT.

Some are listed as unlocked, others as "can be unlocked", others only say "for use on ATT Wireless" network, and don't mention unlocking at all.

Can all the SMT5600s be unlocked?

Yes. They are all the same. The Orange C500 is a little different process, but it too can be unlocked. The people that didn't mention it, most likely don't know that the phone can be unlocked. Even with the phone locked, it will work on Cingular's network. Since the merger, a locked AT&T phone will work on the Cingular network. It used to work before, it was just considered roaming. Now Roaming is local. ;)

Will Cingular unlock SMT5600s locked to ATTW. If so, is it free, or is there a charge for that?

They can do it, but I wouldn't expect them to do it. In fact, I wouldn't even waste the time trying. North American carriers are really hung up on keeping handsets locked.

I know there are online phone-unlocking services. How do those outfits get the codes? Any recommmendations? Lowest price, while reliable?

http://www.imei-check.com/ These guys are the what you're looking for. They do an excellent job, and it's really easy to do. :)

me
04-30-2005, 06:47 PM
Yes. They are all the same. The Orange C500 is a little different process, but it too can be unlocked. The people that didn't mention it, most likely don't know that the phone can be unlocked.

http://www.imei-check.com/ These guys are the what you're looking for. They do an excellent job, and it's really easy to do. :)

Thank you for the reply, and the other one regarding using this phone on T-Mobile.

In looking at the page for SMT5600/C500 at the site you list above, I see the following statement:

"CHECK FIRST the bootloader version (in 3 color mode the numbers after SPL) and if it is bigger than 1.000.179 (for ex: 1.000.181 or 2.000.013 ) then DO NOT ORDER THE UNLOCK AS IT WILL NOT WORK!
IF YOU ORDER IT AND YOU CLAIM THAT YOUR PHONE IS THIS BOOTLOADER WE WILL NOT REFUND YOU THE PAYMENT!
FRENCH ORANGE UPDATED AND ROGERS SMT5600 PHONES WILL NOT WORK!!!
(the versions 1.01.xxxx are OK for unlock!!!)"

That quote says that if the "bootloader" is a number larger than 1.000.179 their unlocking process will not work. Are none of the SMT5600s locked to ATT in that bootloader range that won't be unlocked?

I noticed the Ebay ad for the SMT5600 that says "for ATT", and says nothing about the possibility of unlocking it, also says "absolutely no refunds, no exceptions". (It's also listed as being "brand new in box".) That makes one wonder, "what if it is one of those that cannot be unlocked", and then one cannot get a refund, and bought a phone that cannot be used with my carrier".?

So---could you please explain the quote above from the IMEI 5600 unlock page, about phones with some "bootloader" numbers not being unlockable?

Mike Temporale
04-30-2005, 07:10 PM
Interesting. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with getting their phone unlocked. You'll have to ask the guys at IMEI-Check about what's going on and what the difference is. Sorry.

me
04-30-2005, 11:20 PM
Interesting. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with getting their phone unlocked.

Have any readers experienced any difficulty in unlocking an 5600?

sracer
05-01-2005, 12:40 AM
Interesting. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with getting their phone unlocked.

Not me. I bought a brand new 5600 from a reputable seller on ebay. ($225) and then went to that website to unlock it. In a mere 5 minutes, it was all unlocked and ready to go.

Keep in mind that when using the 5600 with T-Mobile service, their limited T-Zones (free with their prepaid and contract plans) work okay once the correct network settings are specified.

But the phone really shines with a contract plan and their $4.99 T-Zone option. Full web, IM, and eMail.... very nice!

I have both a prepaid TMO2GO SIM and a T-Mobile contract plan ($19.99 a month) and $4.99 T-Zones.

jU1ceBoXx
05-01-2005, 05:36 PM

I also purchased a new SMT5600 on Ebay and unlocked without any problems using the http://www.imei-check.co.uk/c500unlock.php site. The phone works great with T-mobile and I'm very happy with my purchase.

As stated on their site there are problems unlocking "SOME" of the new phones. When they first released the C500/SMT5600 unlock they were are also having a problem with some of the the US SMT5600 and managed to resolve that problem.

They may also figure out the problem with the phones with the new bootloaders but there is no guarantee of if or when.

For the latest information on the C500/SMT5600 unlocking situation you can visit this thread on the MoDaCo forum from the author of the unlocking software (long thread but interesting reading :D )

http://www.modaco.com/SIM_unlock_your_C500_AudioVOX_20_cost-t114531.html

Good Luck!

Mike Temporale
05-11-2005, 04:34 PM
I think you've already unlocked your phone, but....

It looks like they have resolved the problems with certian ROMs and can now unlock ALL C500 and SMT5600 devices. 8)

Damion Chaplin
05-12-2005, 11:10 PM
Even with the phone locked, it will work on Cingular's network. Since the merger, a locked AT&T phone will work on the Cingular network. It used to work before, it was just considered roaming. Now Roaming is local. ;)

Hey Mike, you sound like you're really sure about this...

I spoke with Cingular (both via their 866 number and locally at a Cingular store) and they both said the same thing: An AT&T phone cannot be used on the Cingular network. I needs to be unlocked. They will not unlock it - it must be done by a third party. Were they lying to me in order to get me to buy a new phone from them? Wouldn't be the first time... I ended up finding an unlocked one on eBay at about the same price as the 'locked' AT&T phones, so it's a moot point for me. Just curious...

Mike Temporale
05-13-2005, 01:22 AM
Hey Mike, you sound like you're really sure about this...

Well, for a little background info, I don't live in the US, and I'm not a Cingular or AT&T customer. All I can say is this; if you bought this phone when it was released in late September and signed a contract with AT&T you're phone would have to either be converted by Cingular or Cingular would have to allow all AT&T's phones to roam as local. I have not heard of a single person having Cingular update their phone.

Did everyone from AT&T get a new phone once the merger happened? No. So I fully expect that this would work. To be 100% sure, you need to find someone on AT&T and ask them. :wink:

Damion Chaplin
05-13-2005, 02:37 AM
Did everyone from AT&T get a new phone once the merger happened? No. So I fully expect that this would work.

An excellent point. I had not thought of that. They obviously have thousands of AT&T phones working on their system... Duh... :roll:

SnozBerries
05-18-2005, 05:29 AM
When I bought my 5600, I bought it from Amazon, at the full price w/o any contract with AT&T. Somepeople were willing to sign into the contract to get the phone for less after rebates, and then canceling the contract & paying the early termination fee, but I didn't want to jump through all those hoops. I was willing to pay more for less hassle.

I checked Amazon, and they do offer the phone, but it is now with Cingular. I'm not sure what the bootloader version is with Cingular. That might be worth asking around to see if anyone has unlocked the cingular phone yet.

One thing worth mentioning. For whatever reason, I cannot reply to text messages with this phone on T-Mobile. This has been discussed in forums before. It doesn't bother me. When I need to reply, I just create a new text message and send it to the person instead of clicking reply.