View Full Version : Smartphone to iPod

minky69
04-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Just a thought but my Orange SPV C500 has USB and so does my iPod. Surely all I need is a bit of software on my phone and boom, I’ve got 20Gb more storage space available on my phone.

I was mostly thinking about storing video files on the iPod and just transferring what I wanna watch to the phone. I’ve already got 1Gb on the phone but quite a bit spare on my iPod.

Anyone heard of software to do this?

Mike Temporale
04-25-2005, 02:02 PM
It's a very cool idea, however, it's currently not possible. There are 2 differnet types of USB devices, Client and Host. Your PC is a Host, and your phone, iPod, printer, CD drive, etc... are all clients. :( Until somone releases a phone that supports Host USB, then it's just not possible, as I understand it.

Mark Larson
04-26-2005, 01:52 AM
USB on the go supports something like this, but you really want Firewire.

minky69
04-26-2005, 10:58 AM
Yea, USB on the go sounds like the future. I'm not quite sure how it works though. It says it's an extension of the USB 2 protocol, so does that mean it’s new hardware? I would image old USB 1 and 2 devices (i.e. the iPod) could still be slaves to a USB on the go device. However could existing USB 2 devices take a software/firmware upgrade to become USB on the go devices.

Ideally all I’d need is some USB on the go software and or changes to the smartphone OS to make the phone support this new protocol and connect to the iPod at USB 2 speeds.