View Full Version : Anyone tried Delorme Map software with 5600?

vikings
04-25-2005, 03:14 AM
I have an SPV5600, and just ordered a Holux GR231 BT GPS unit. I can't seem to find a review of the different map software packages, but am considering the Delorme. Anyone tried it? I've had Delorme and MS map products for my laptop and preferred the Delormes handling of realtime positioning data. It looks like the MS is the most talked about on the forum, however.

Thanks

Sven Johannsen
04-27-2005, 06:40 PM
Had you looked at the compatibility chart? http://www.delorme.com/support/handheld/pda.asp Doesn't appear to support WM Smartphones.

MS's product is the most common, and readily available product I believe. I works as well as the PPC version, but is as lacking in features. Mapopolis does have Beta Smartphone support.

vikings
04-28-2005, 01:30 AM
I saw that, but it also says under sysreq:

"Handheld Requirements: Windows CE: Supports Pocket PC, Pocket PC 2002 and Windows Mobile™ 2003. ARM processor is supported, SH3 and MIPS install available."

So that's a little vague.

I saw on one forum, however, since I made the earlier post, that alot of people were unhappy with the amount of routing calculation errors with Delorme, so I'm reconsidering and will probably try the mapopolis beta for free. It looks like the maps are free too. My gps is shipping tomorrow, to bad I won't have it for our trip this weekend.

Thanks for the reply, I'll post results when I have some.

Sven Johannsen
04-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Mapopolis maps are not free, though they do allow a couple of test maps to be downloaded that expire if IIRC.

I have been using Mapopolis on my PPC for some time and have always been pleased with it.

Just because a product claims to work on WM2003 (SE) doesn't mean it is going to work on PPC, PPCPE and Smartphone. That is one of the problems I think with MS lumping that all together. The UI is so radically different between PPCs and Smartphones, a product really needs to be designed for one or the other. It is not just a port, unless you design for the Smartphone and make PPC users run the program with no screen input.

vikings
05-12-2005, 03:27 AM
I went for Pocket Streets 2005 because of the compatibility and price. It and the Holux 231 hooked up instantly. I've never had an app work with hardware so painlessly. I exported a map that covers DC and Annapolis and it was 5 mb, with respectable graphic resolution. The maps are the most accurate I've seen when used with a GPS. It is full of information with the Points of Interests, the only limitation is that you can't ask it to calculate anything like distances or travel times. But for $30, it's a great solution. Maybe next year I'll get something like TomTom for my birthday. Thanks for all of the help, and happy mapping to all.