View Full Version : I'm a Winner @ McDonalds !

Mike Temporale
04-22-2005, 04:15 PM
Some friends of my wife and I, have recently needed the services of Ronald McDonald House. (http://www.rmhc.org/) In appreciation for all that RMH did for them, I decided to take some co-workers to McDonalds for lunch. And thus, indirectly help support RMH and all the good they provide, while stuffing some tummies at the same time. :) While standing in line, I saw they had a contest to guess the number of Gummi Bears in a jar. $1 for 1 guess, or $5 for 12 guesses. All the money goes to Ronald McDonald House.

I studied the jar, and determined what I thought was the correct amount. As it turns out, I guessed the right amount of Gummi Bears in the jar! 8) I don't know what I've won, but I'll be heading over to pick up my prize later today. :D

On an unrelated note: I really like the flash animation they use on the right hand side of the web pages at RMH's web site. (http://www.rmhc.org/)

Mike Temporale
04-22-2005, 06:24 PM
I just claimed my prize - a jar of Gummie Bears. All 422 of them. 8O

Anyone want one? :lol:

Santa Fe
04-23-2005, 01:06 AM
When I was five I won a cake. That was the last thing I ever won until software from this site fifty-six years later. So you may have used up a lot of luck there... :lol:

Kris Kumar
04-23-2005, 01:50 PM
I just claimed my prize - a jar of Gummie Bears. All 422 of them. 8O

Anyone want one? :lol:

Hey! if you need help to finish it. Let me know. ;-)

How did you guess the number? Did you get the approximate dimensions, pull out your Smartphone calculator and come up with the number? Or the traditional, scratch the head..little more scratching and the number starts blinking in your head? :-)

Mike Temporale
04-24-2005, 01:42 AM
How did you guess the number? Did you get the approximate dimensions, pull out your Smartphone calculator and come up with the number? Or the traditional, scratch the head..little more scratching and the number starts blinking in your head? :-)

It was an educated guess. I took a look at the bottom of the jar, and counted how many gummies lay across the bottom - roughly 20. I then counted how many rows of 20 the jar would take - around 20. That provided me with a base number to start from - 400. I added on 1 more row to account for any extra ones that might be squished in there, and then added 2 extra's for the hell of it.

Nothing mind blowing, but it worked. :mrgreen:

encece
07-24-2005, 02:50 AM
That's a funny story. Good thing it wasn't a
"guess-how-many-rat-terds-are-in-the jar" contest!!! :)

iiibdsiil
07-24-2005, 04:21 AM
Man, they could have given you a Big Mac or something. Oh well, it's going to the charity anyways, right?

Mike Temporale
07-24-2005, 04:31 AM
Man, they could have given you a Big Mac or something. Oh well, it's going to the charity anyways, right?

Charity? Yes, my $1 did go to charity. The 422 Gummi Bears ended up at home with my daughter chewing on a large number of them. :lol: I think a gift cert or a free sandwich would have been a better prize, but then what would they do with a jar of 400+ Gummi Bears??

iiibdsiil
07-24-2005, 04:37 AM
Ya, but all the other people that tried. I wonder how much they actually raised.

Mike Temporale
07-24-2005, 04:45 AM
Oh, I see. Good question. I have no idea.

I like the fact that these guys were doing more than the average donation box that you see in all the stores. I've since been told that they do these types of fund raising events for RMH on a regular basis. Which I've never seen at any other store.

iiibdsiil
07-24-2005, 04:47 AM
Only thing I have ever seen is the little clear boxes, which usually don't have much it them. I bet if they told most of the people what the prize was first, they wouldn't have wasted their money.

Mike Temporale
07-24-2005, 11:13 AM
I bet if they told most of the people what the prize was first, they wouldn't have wasted their money.

Well, it was for charity, so I don't think the prize was that big a deal. I would have prefered something better, but it's not a big deal. :wink: