View Full Version : Does Symbian have a Smartphone Monopoly?

Mike Temporale
04-12-2005, 04:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://tankerx.myblogsite.com/blog/_archives/2005/3/5/447247.html' target='_blank'>http://tankerx.myblogsite.com/blog/_archives/2005/3/5/447247.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"I'm fed up with people complaining that Symbian has a monopoly in the Smartphone market. Many (if not most) of those who complain are Microsoft fangirls who refer to the monopoly as being unfair and abused while the minority who don't have a Windows powered brain compare the monopoly with Microsoft's monopoly on the desktop. While I hold the opinion that Symbian is by far the best platform for any Smartphone, I also believe that Symbian got to where it is in the market by being first, by being innovative and by being bold with the backing of willing companies. I also hold this opinion; Symbian does not have a monopoly in the Smartphone market and here I'll present some of the evidence behind my claim..."</i><br /><br />While I don't agree 100% with all of TankerX's arguments, I do agree with him that Symbian doesn't have a monopoly. Symbian is just enjoying a rather healthy lead - and I don't know if it's due to being more innovative than others. What do you think?

gazbert
04-12-2005, 05:41 PM
I have to disagree on both fronts.

Symbian definitely does not have a monopoly.

Symbian no longer represents superior technology. If I compare my C500 to my gf's Symbian Series 60 Nokia 7610 my phone wins hands down.

Easier to use
Smaller
MUCH faster menu browsing
More easily customisable in terms of homescreen.
I can do everything in a couple of clicks, the Nokia takes half and hour of fiddling around.
Seamles sync with Outlook, I'm still trying to get hers to sync with any degree of reliablility.

With all the support that SMartphones now have it's only a matter of time before the situation reverses and someone accuses Microsoft of having a Smartphone monopoly. Imagine the day when the Supreme court orders Microsoft to produce a version of the Smartphone OS without Internet Explorer or Media Player!

It will happen, it's only a matter of time.

balmy_physician
04-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Symbian was created by a consortium of hardware manufacturers to prevent them from loosing control of their market to software developers (especially microsoft)

Symbian is clearly the property of the major device makers, the apparent dominance of the Symbian has nothing to do with the quality of the product, and everything to do with the strategic decisions of nokia and ericsson made over half a decade ago

Make no mistake Symbian is not a monopoly (in the sense that is has control), Symbian is simply the product of a Cartel

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/22/mobile_giants_deny/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartel

MS Mobiles
04-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Symbian is clearly the property of the major device makers, the apparent dominance of the Symbian has nothing to do with the quality of the product, and everything to do with the strategic decisions of nokia and ericsson made over half a decade ago

Make no mistake Symbian is not a monopoly (in the sense that is has control), Symbian is simply the product of a Cartel

balmy_physician, you get it right! thanks for it.

I don't know why to link to this blog item written by Symbian fanatic? It is not any news after all.

Mike Temporale
04-12-2005, 08:04 PM
You're right, it isn't news - that's why I've posted it under the "Thoughts" section. :wink: I'm just interested in knowing how people view Symbian, and if they think (and why) Symbian has a monopoly. :)

mbranscum
04-13-2005, 03:48 AM
You're right, it isn't news - that's why I've posted it under the "Thoughts" section. :wink: I'm just interested in knowing how people view Symbian, and if they think (and why) Symbian has a monopoly. :)

I switch between a Mpx220 and a Nokia 6620. I really like Symbian OS but I like Windows too. Some things I *can't* do with Windows OS...

1. Can't record a phone coversation (Come on MS...this is basic...even my el'cheapo SE637 can do this) Symbian does it very well.

2. Can't log into my secure bank website using PIE *or* Opera (Windows). NetFront on my Symbian handles it just fine.

3. There's no Edge MS Smartphones...yet. The 6620 with NetFront just does the internet so much faster!

4. Agile Messenger...can't send a voice message over it on the 220. I can with Symbian.

5. Not enough variety of software. I know that over time this will probably even out.

All in all I still really like my 220 even though it has shortcomings. Reminds me of my Ipaq I guess!! :-)