View Full Version : 5600... Triangle in status bar = ???

MTDude
04-04-2005, 10:11 PM
5600, unlocked, use it on T-Mobile in United States.

I have a triangle that is located middle left on the status bar. Is this there because I unlocked an AT&T phone for use on T-Mobile and it is a bit confused? Or ???

<---Newb.

Thanks for help.

Mike Temporale
04-04-2005, 11:44 PM
The triangle indicates that you are roaming. I only see it when I'm on another network. :)

MTDude
04-05-2005, 12:43 AM
Hmmmmmmmm.

Strange. I am in my normal T-Mobile area. I wonder if this happens because it is an unocked AT&T phone.

Any thoughts?

Mike Temporale
04-05-2005, 01:11 AM
It has nothing to do with the phone being an unlocked AT&T phone. Mine is the same, and I've never used it on AT&T's network. I only see the triangle when I'm roaming on another network. In my case, Rogers.

If you are always seeing the triangle, I would check that T-Mo is the default network. Check unders Start / Settings / Phone / Networks. Then press Menu / Preferred Networks. Move these up/down until T-Mo is at the top of the list. It should then default to T-Mo. :)

MTDude
04-05-2005, 01:30 AM
I did that...

HOLY COW! There are about 30 diff T-Mo networks and a few others (Rodgers, ATT, Cingular, etc.) followed by a number. Is there a way to figure out which T-Mo network is best for me/I am supposed to use?

So far I have had no issues, but I think it would be best to be on a T-Mo network since I am T-Mo.

Thanks again.

MTDude

Mike Temporale
04-05-2005, 01:49 AM
Sorry, I'm not on T-Mo, so I can't offer much advice. T-Mo isn't even a option where I am. :D

The only thing I can tell you is this; when you go into add a network, the first 2 letters are country code. So you're only going to be interested in US T-Mo's. That's still a large list, but it might help a little.

NTzeke
04-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Answer me this - I bought my phone through ATT. Of course the phone defaults to the "AT&T Wireless" setting when selecting a network. Unfortunatly, ATTWS has horrible signal where I live. Anytime it can't even find the ATTWS signal it switches to some number that I assume is Cingular (when it does this I get the roaming triangle)

Under the Network Settings that Mike mentioned - One of the 3 options is #310410 - a number I assume to be Cingular.

If I manually choose this 310410 will I be charged for roaming? I don't believe I have ever gotten charged for roaming any time before when the phone didn't pick up the ATTWS signal and had to switch to a numbered carrier.

Vuvision
04-05-2005, 07:51 PM
I was briefly with Cingular/ATT, and at the office my phone roamed constantly. Most of the time to T-mobile towers, and I wasn't charged for the roaming.

Switched to T-mobile shortly after, and all is well now.

Answer me this - I bought my phone through ATT. Of course the phone defaults to the "AT&T Wireless" setting when selecting a network. Unfortunatly, ATTWS has horrible signal where I live. Anytime it can't even find the ATTWS signal it switches to some number that I assume is Cingular (when it does this I get the roaming triangle)

Under the Network Settings that Mike mentioned - One of the 3 options is #310410 - a number I assume to be Cingular.

If I manually choose this 310410 will I be charged for roaming? I don't believe I have ever gotten charged for roaming any time before when the phone didn't pick up the ATTWS signal and had to switch to a numbered carrier.

MTDude
04-05-2005, 07:55 PM
So is the triangle something that all T-Mobile converts have to live with?

Curious, because I didn't think that T-Mobile service had roaming on Cingular and AT&T.

windmiller
05-18-2005, 10:29 PM
When I was beta testing the XDA for T-mobile I lived in NC which is only Cingular and doesnt have T-mobile coverage at all. T-mobile stated that they had a contract of sorts with Cingular regarding roaming and was why they were having me beta test in an area that there signal didnt even reach.

The weirder part, they chose me for the beta program because I went to an Irish website and enterd in my e-mail address in one of those.

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN THE T-MOBILE XDA? Enter E-mail Address Here.

I got the XDA 2 weeks later.