View Full Version : BlackBerry Killer?

Kris Kumar
04-02-2005, 12:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml;jsessionid=N1KRG5HIPULZUQSNDBESKHA?articleId=160401595' target='_blank'>http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml;jsessionid=N1KRG5HIPULZUQSNDBESKHA?articleId=160401595</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Microsoft's forthcoming Windows Mobile upgrade, code-named Magneto, is designed to be a BlackBerry killer, said sources familiar with the ambitious plan. The Redmond, Wash.-based software giant is on track to freeze the Windows Mobile 2005 ROM code in April and provide new technology in Exchange 2003 Server Pack 2 that will push e-mail out to mobile workers who use Pocket PCs and smartphones. Sources told CRN that Microsoft will unveil its Magneto plan at the Mobile and Embedded Developers Conference 2005 next month in Las Vegas."</i><br /><br />It is common knowledge that Microsoft's upcoming Windows Mobile release will bridge the gap between Smartphone and Pocket PC. And now <a href="http://www.crn.com/">CRN</a> is reporting that this upcoming release might be aimed at the BlackBerry market. :rock on dude!: Please note that the article clearly states that <i>"Microsoft declined to comment, except to confirm that plans are under way for Magneto."</i> So for now all we can do is, keep our fingers crossed and hope that the statements in this report are true. What are your thoughts?

04-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Gets me thinking, is Magneto really one OS for both device-types? How do they get around the fundamental differences in hardware? Will the OS adapt the UI to the divece it's run on?

I've tried to get oround on a PPC 2003 SE without using the stylus and I gave up in 5 min. How will the have made it easier?

surur
04-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Mathias, check out this review of the new OS.

http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/articles/wm2005-magneto-en.shtml

It is a very comprehensive review. Some very nice new features in there.

1) Download agent, which means MS will be providing a lot of OS updates itself.
2) App compatibility with smartphone. I guess that means goodbye to smartphonethoughts
3) desktop formats being used (and created) with the built-in apps. I guess no more .pwi's
4) No stylus usage designed in.

and much more. This is a real exciting update. The base OS runs smartphone apps. There will be no more distinction between the two.

Surur

04-02-2005, 07:01 PM
Thanks surur. I've read that review but it's still not clear to me how they've merged the two (quite different) ways of interfacing with the device. The device in the review is a regular Pocket PC, no qwerty no touchpad, just the navigation pad. I guess that devices with no touch screen will require some sort of keypad, numeric or qwerty, no?

Personally, I'm a phone-first typ of person. I think "mobile" should mean "usable while mobile", not "transportable".

Jerry Raia
04-02-2005, 08:38 PM
If it makes the Blackberry extinct it is a good thing. :twisted:

Kris Kumar
04-03-2005, 03:36 AM
I guess that means goodbye to smartphonethoughts

Oh God! :cry:

But I agree with Jerry...anything to see the BlackBerry extinct.

If it makes the Blackberry extinct it is a good thing. :twisted:

cellu_girl
04-03-2005, 04:25 AM
Does anyone have a picture of the device it might be on. I would really love a qwerty flip :D :D :D

Jerry Raia
04-03-2005, 05:33 AM
Another thing, as much as I would like to see convergence I don't think it will happen for some time. After looking at the huge Pocket PC phones that are around I believe a common operating system for both form factors is what we will be seeing for some time to come. So stop weeping Kris. We are here to stay. Besides I have no doubt Motorola is busy coming up with plenty of poorly functioning phones to keep us busy for quite a while. :lol:

Anything that looks as ugly as a Blackberry (and where did they come up with that stupid name??) should be banned.

04-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Does anyone have a picture of the device it might be on. I would really love a qwerty flip :D :D :D

I'd like a combo of the Samsung D500 and the Sidekick II. :werenotworthy:

Mark Larson
04-03-2005, 11:45 AM
I'd like a combo of the Samsung D500 and the Sidekick II. :werenotworthy: Wouldn't that be the PDA2K or XV6600?

Kris Kumar
04-03-2005, 02:03 PM
After looking at the huge Pocket PC phones that are around I believe a common operating system for both form factors is what we will be seeing for some time to come.

Me too! &lt;sighOfRelief> :-)

I believe Microsoft wants to give the manufacturers the ability to innovate on the hardware front. Having restrictive hardware design requirements was not working in its favor.

I believe we will see Pocket PCs with smaller screens and keypads. But Smartphone hardware will remain the same, basically the same phone first design, that makes it attractive to non-data-input-intensive users. Which I believe is majority of the market, at least for now.

surur
04-03-2005, 03:55 PM
I believe the cross pollination from smartphone to ppcphone can only help pocketpcphones. Its clear that ppc-phones have become more similar to smartphones. Its just another example of mobile phones swallowing another device. As long as it does not cause decreased functionality in ppc-phones I am quite happy with the move.

Surur

04-03-2005, 06:13 PM
I'd like a combo of the Samsung D500 and the Sidekick II. :werenotworthy: Wouldn't that be the PDA2K or XV6600?

Well, no. Imagine a Sidekick with Windows Mobile and D500 styling.

Kris Kumar
04-03-2005, 08:40 PM
As long as it does not cause decreased functionality in ppc-phones I am quite happy with the move.

I am guessing from reading all these reports, that there might be a number of permutation-combination of hardware-software for Windows Mobile devices. Instead of the two currently defined Pocket PC and Smartphone OS. There might be more in-between flavors.

Traditionally I know Microsoft does not like to confuse its customers. So it will be interesting how they will define the next OS and the products based on it.

Eagerly waiting for the Windows Embedded and Mobile DevCon in early May. :-)

Mike Temporale
04-04-2005, 01:45 AM
App compatibility with smartphone. I guess that means goodbye to smartphonethoughts

:lol: Not a chance. By making applications more compatible across product lines doesn't mean the end of the other products. There is still a market for both one handed devices, and data centric devices. The line may be getting a little more blurred, but there will still be two distinct product lines, and there will still be a Smartphone Thoughts. :wink: 8)

Jerry Raia
04-04-2005, 01:57 AM
Yeah and besides we don't get any unemployment from here!!