View Full Version : SMT 5600 Setting Questions

talinchka
03-31-2005, 01:31 AM
I have now unlocked my new SMT 5600. I have a few settings questions, since the manual is flimsy at best:

In the top left corner, where it would normally say "AT&T" it has a 6 digit number. What is this, should I be worried and how do Iget rid of it?

Does the date/time automatically update - depending on where you are when you get off the plane? It seems like it doesn't, but maybe I'm wrong.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure there will be more... 8O

Kris Kumar
03-31-2005, 04:04 AM
Regarding the numbers instead of the carrier name. I remember reading about some registry tweak to fix that problem. Its to do something with the fact that the cell tower id is not recognized by the Smartphone, a known issue in some areas. I will try to find it. :-)

As for the date/time. The GSM carriers (atleast) in US don't update the cell phone time. :-( I wish they did.

talinchka
03-31-2005, 05:05 AM
That's a bummer (about the date/time), but I suppose it's a mild annoyance. Thanks for the reply! As I said, i'm sure there will be more questions as I play with the phone...

Mark Larson
03-31-2005, 10:57 PM
“310410” Network Number Registry Tweak

If you ended up with a 310410 as the connected provider for your cellular network on the Home Screen, you can easily change that to the word Cingular. Simply launch Smartione with your Smartphone connected via USB and ActiveSync to your PC. Using its registry editor, navigate to \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RIL\Operator Names. Right-click on the right panel and click Add value, then New value [string]. Enter 310410 as the Value name and Cingular as the Value data. Click OK, then disconnect and reboot your Smartphone!

Kris Kumar
04-01-2005, 12:57 AM
Thanks Mark for finding it. :-)

sabatinojr
04-01-2005, 04:19 AM
If I were to buy this phone on Amazon.com could i just call Cingular to get it hooked up when it comes in, or does it have to be unlocked and "tweeked" untill Cingular actually offers it? Sorry for the ignorance....from a tired of Sprint customer.

Kris Kumar
04-01-2005, 04:30 AM
If I were to buy this phone on Amazon.com could i just call Cingular to get it hooked up when it comes in, or does it have to be unlocked and "tweeked" untill Cingular actually offers it? Sorry for the ignorance....from a tired of Sprint customer.

Amazon is offering the AT&T version. Which is locked to the AT&T service. You will have to get it unlocked, before you can walk into the Cingular camp. :-)

sabatinojr
04-01-2005, 04:36 AM
sorry for the ignorance but is that a difficult thing to do. I have seen you can buy them for a price unlocked...no big deal...but is the functionality the same when you do that when using it in the Cingular network?

Mark Larson
04-01-2005, 05:27 AM
Functionality is the same, themes will likely be different, unlocking one costs $40.

talinchka
04-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Thank you, Mark, for the information. Another question - do you know if there is a way to integrate "to do" tasks into the calendar, like on a Palm device? Are there any useful calendar type programs I could download? I recall I had something that reminded me of all the Jewish holidays and birthdays. Is something like that available for the SMT 5600? thanks!

krb
05-29-2005, 04:16 PM
I followed the steps described above but when I finished I could not click OK. It was disabled. Did I miss something?