View Full Version : Urgent - What can PocketPCs do that smartphones can't?

DrDrew
03-28-2005, 11:36 PM
I was looking at the Audiovox SMT5600 Smartphone since it's free after rebate at amazon right now. (Of course, it'll probably be sold out before I get a response, but I'll give it a shot)

I love my Dell Axim and use it constantly. My wife has a cell phone and her contract runs out in a few weeks. I thought maybe when she renews, I could grab a Smartphone as a 2nd phone along with a family plan.

I would only do this if it could replace my Axim as I don't want to carry 2 devices around. Surprisingly, I couldn't seem to find a good comparison that shows what the main differences are between PocketPC and Smartphone.

My main uses for my Axim are listening to MP3s, and all the Outlook integration. Does a smartphone have a stylus?

I don't really care about battery life as I don't travel a lot, and I don't plan to use the smartphone as a phone a lot. LOL

Could someone give me a quick rundown of the differences or point me to a site that has them? I appreciate any assistance!

Kris Kumar
03-29-2005, 02:12 AM
Primarily - It all depends on whether you use the PDA to input text or not.

I rely on Smartphone all the time. Use it for contacts, appointments, surfin, check or read email, I do not reply, and when I have to, it is a one liner. :-)

I also use it for RSS feeds, locating a restuarant or address...occassional MP3s...

Overall it has been an awesome companion. :-)

I do not carry my PDA anymore. The only time I need it is for in-car GPS navigation.

DrDrew
03-29-2005, 05:08 AM
Can it use Excel? I use that once in a while for scoreboards when gaming with my friends.

Mark Larson
03-29-2005, 05:17 AM
My PDA collected dust because I never took it anywhere, and entering info in it was difficult. I got the USB cradle for it, but still didn't take it anywhere because it was so big.

I take my Smartphone everywhere, and syncing with Outlook is a snap! I'd say the main difference is that the Smartphone is with you by default, while the PDA isn't.

Kris Kumar
03-29-2005, 05:29 AM
Can it use Excel? I use that once in a while for scoreboards when gaming with my friends.

I know that you can view Excel files. But editing them? :? I am not sure if I have heard of a third party app that lets you edit Excel.

Maybe one of our readers might have some info on it.

Jerry Raia
03-29-2005, 10:48 PM
Can you imagine editing some 100x100 Excel worksheet on the MPx220??
:rotfl:

DrDrew
03-29-2005, 11:20 PM
Can you add all these things on the phone without a stylus? Do you just enter them using the keypad?

sracer
03-30-2005, 02:07 AM
I sold my iPAQ 2215 (with all it's accessories), ditched my cell phones and purchased an Audiovox SMT-5600 smartphone, and absolutely love it.

I used my iPAQ for calendar and contacts, jotting notes, listening to music, watching movies, Bible reading, light game playing, map reading, and document preparation. And I can do all of these things on the 5600.

I purchased a Bluetooth folding keyboard for it, and typing is a breeze.

Just like some of the others, I too found myself leaving my PDA home because it was just too inconvenient to take multiple devices. There's one added benefit to a smartphone over a PPC: If you have the right cell plan, and you have a cell signal, you can surf the net.

Kris Kumar
03-30-2005, 04:43 AM
Adding to-do items/notes/calendar entries

To-do: I rarely use this feature [rely on Calendar]

Calendar: Yes, everything nowadays goes into my Smartphone. Right from haircut appointments, to dinner plans, to things-to-do, to dates, to office items. I would say I enter 50% of my appointments on the Smartphone.

Notes: Rely on voice notes. Much easier. ;-) Also Smartphone does not ship with its own text based Notes app, have to rely on third-party apps. :-(

Mike Temporale
03-30-2005, 05:09 AM
Notes: Rely on voice notes. Much easier. ;-) Also Smartphone does not ship with its own text based Notes app, have to rely on third-party apps. :-(

And John Cody's Vnotes allows reminders to be set on the voice note, which basically makes your voice note a task. ;)

Esquire
04-03-2005, 06:54 AM
Doesn't look like there is AvantGo on Smartphone Edition :(