View Full Version : SMT5600 Coming To Cingular In May

Mike Temporale
03-28-2005, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://rcrnews.com/news.cms?newsId=21977' target='_blank'>http://rcrnews.com/news.cms?newsId=21977</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Cingular Wireless is testing the SMT 5600 smart phone from UTStarcom Inc. for use on its network and plans to release the device by May. The device was initially introduced by AT&amp;T Wireless Services Inc. before Cingular acquired the carrier, and due to customer demand, Cingular plans to add the device to its own line-up."</i><br /><br />It looks like Cingluar is finaly getting AT&amp;T's phone line-up ready for release on their network. I know a lot of you have been waiting for this from the time the merger was announced. :D

possmann
03-28-2005, 04:56 PM
YES :multi:

what would really be cool is if it was also Second Edition (meaning screen support 240x320) but hey - I'm just pleased as punch that they are going to offer this - FINALLY!
:way to go:

Number 6
03-28-2005, 05:21 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
WoooHoo! That is good news!

johnandletireyes
03-28-2005, 05:44 PM
What do you think this means for those of us who bought AT&amp;T branded phones and had to configure them to work on the Cingular network? Do you think Cingular will allow us to send these in and have them done totally as a Cingular unit? :roll:

sabatinojr
03-28-2005, 06:04 PM
WHAT WOULD BE THE DIFFERENCE. WHO CARES, IT WORKS ON THE CINGULAR NETWORK..... RIGHT?

MS Mobiles
03-28-2005, 06:35 PM
YES :multi:

what would really be cool is if it was also Second Edition (meaning screen support 240x320) but hey - I'm just pleased as punch that they are going to offer this - FINALLY!

I don't think so : 240x320 would need totally new model of smartphone and they are just testing STM5600 = which is 176x220...

Jerry Raia
03-28-2005, 07:22 PM
It's about time!

Mike Temporale
03-28-2005, 07:29 PM

I don't think so : 240x320 would need totally new model of smartphone and they are just testing STM5600 = which is 176x220...

Ya. although Second Edition supports it, the SMT5600 doesn't have a screen that can handle it. :(

mbranscum
03-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Anyone know if Audiovox has addressed the "dust under the screen" issue??? This would definitely affect my purchasing discision. I have heard of dust so bad the screen was hard to read.

Anyone know???

Mike Temporale
03-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Anyone know if Audiovox has addressed the "dust under the screen" issue??? This would definitely affect my purchasing discision. I have heard of dust so bad the screen was hard to read.

Anyone know???

I haven't heard anything (not that that means anything...) but I don't have a problem with my phone. :)

mbranscum
03-28-2005, 08:58 PM

Anyone know???

I haven't heard anything (not that that means anything...) but I don't have a problem with my phone. :)

Do a Google search for "smt5600 dust under screen."

killah21
03-28-2005, 09:44 PM
Yay..now all the smt owners can made threads like OMG THE SMT5600 PWNS THE MPX220!!!..... :roll:

Spatulator
03-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Yay..now all the smt owners can made threads like OMG THE SMT5600 PWNS THE MPX220!!!..... :roll:

It Does!!

killah21
03-29-2005, 12:19 AM
Slower processor, dust under screen, non flip, not so hot rf performance (ask the people on howard),the camera on the mpx220 is better, no edge (same as mpx220).....so what makes it so much better?

Kris Kumar
03-29-2005, 02:31 AM
so what makes it so much better?

It works like it should, like a phone. ;-)

Unlike the MPx220, which has a faster processor, but still seem underpowered. Has a better camera, but still cannot take pictures that can match its potential. It has a great keypad, but the iTAP can drive you nuts with its ' [apostrophe] instead of 0. :-(

SMT5600 or the Typhoon series is well tested and makes great use of the hardware it is based on.

me
03-29-2005, 05:45 AM
I don't get it. :?: Isn't this phone already part of Cingular. It was an ATTW phone, but ATTW was bought by Cingular. I'm sure many ATTW users were already using this phone when ATTW was bought by Cingular, and they were switched to Cingular. Wouldn't that make this phone already part of Cingular?

Also, I have seen it all along at ATTW stores, even after the buyout from Cingular. These stores are now actually Cingular stores, and the service they sell is Cingular's. The SMT5600 is for sale at those stores, discounted price with (Cingular) service. (I wouldn't imagine the discounted price is for signing up for ATTW service, as that service does not exist any more.) Same thing with Amazon.com--they have been selling this phone all along, and as there is no more ATTW, the discounted price must be for sigining up to Cingular.

So--how could this be "planned for May release", when the phone seems to have been switched to Cingular when ATTW was taken over by them?

Why "from UTStarcom"? Isn't it an Audiovox phone? Or, is this a new version of it under discussion?

Does anyone know if this phone will be coming to T-Mobile USA, my carrier? If so, when?

"Cingular Wireless is testing the SMT 5600 smart phone from UTStarcom Inc. for use on its network and plans to release the device by May. The device was initially introduced by AT&amp;T Wireless Services Inc. before Cingular acquired the carrier, and due to customer demand, Cingular plans to add the device to its own line-up."

It looks like Cingluar is finaly getting AT&amp;T's phone line-up ready for release on their network. I know a lot of you have been waiting for this from the time the merger was announced. :D

Kris Kumar
03-29-2005, 06:51 AM
Why "from UTStarcom"? Isn't it an Audiovox phone? Or, is this a new version of it under discussion?

UTStarcom Completes Acquisition (http://investorrelations.utstar.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=147043) of Selected Assets of Audiovox Communications Corporation

Mark Larson
03-29-2005, 10:56 AM
The SMT5600 was always locked to AT&amp;T, and the service you would buy from the Cingular Blue stores would be AT&amp;T service, and you would have to migrate in the next year or so to Cingular proper. Now it seems that the Cingular SMT5600 will replace the AT&amp;T one so that people buying Cingular service can buy that phone too.

me
03-31-2005, 04:32 PM
The SMT5600 was always locked to AT&amp;T, and the service you would buy from the Cingular Blue stores would be AT&amp;T service, and you would have to migrate in the next year or so to Cingular proper. Now it seems that the Cingular SMT5600 will replace the AT&amp;T one so that people buying Cingular service can buy that phone too.

Cingular is still signing people up for "ATTW service", although there is no more ATTW?