View Full Version : Which windows smartphone rules the roost?

allenalb
03-27-2005, 04:01 AM
i am fed up with my mpx200, and my roommate is fed up with her mpx220 (which replaced her broken mpx200).

we both just want a phone that's reliable, like all cellphones seemed to be several years ago.

i am requesting that anyone who has used 2 OR MORE Windows Mobile Smartphones reply with which one they thought was the best (and reasons why, if you wish).

i think this would work better as a poll, but it would be eight miles long because there are so many models.

if you have only used one WM smartphone, please refrain from posting, your opinion is just as valid, but for the purposes of this thread i would just like comparisons.

if there are tons of replies, i will tabulate and post results, and maybe we will all be able to benefit from the wisdom of the early adopters :)

sracer
03-27-2005, 04:26 AM
It might help if you explain why you feel the mpx200 and 220 are inadequate...as well as the type of cell service you have and what you planned on using a smartphone for.

--------
I've had half a dozen Pocket PC devices, and a half dozen cell phones from 4 different providers. I'm very familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of each individual device-type and I decided on the Audiovox SMT-5600 as a multpurpose replacement. It does everything that I've needed my iPAQ 2215 to do plus it has the benefit of having integrated web browsing (something that was limited to WiFi and dial-up on my iPAQ). The Bluetooth Freedom folding keyboard is excellent and makes lengthy data entry a breeze.

It is pretty shortsighted to want to hear from only people with 2 or more smartphones (even though I understand your reasoning)... I guess you don't want to hear from those of us who feel we "got it right" the first time. :lol:

Kris Kumar
03-27-2005, 05:02 AM
i-mate SP3i (the same as SMT5600, but cooler looking)

I own MPx220 (wish Moto would improve the firmware, love the hardware), MPx200 (good SP2000 device), Compal Red-E (also known as the Dev Kit Phone, my first Smartphone).

Vuvision
03-28-2005, 01:28 AM
You don't have to wait for all the response to come in to make up your mind. Do a search for smartphone forum, start with this forum (hint: look for HTC) ... Also, google is your friend.

xultar
03-28-2005, 01:35 AM
I'm just gonna say straight up the Audiovox SMT5600 or the SPV C500, or the i-mate SP3. They are all the same phone. They are all awesome.

allenalb
03-28-2005, 12:53 PM
It might help if you explain why you feel the mpx200 and 220 are inadequate...as well as the type of cell service you have and what you planned on using a smartphone for.

before they ever came out, i thought they would make a greate PDA replacement. i no longer feel that way, because i am just too used to pocket pc form factor.

i basically want it to be a good phone first. good reception, not prone to locking up. the only reason i am partial to WM in the first place, is because many of the PPC apps i use have Smartphone counterparts, and occasionally it's easier to whip out the phone then it is the PPC. that and the outlook sync is better than most other OS's.

It is pretty shortsighted to want to hear from only people with 2 or more smartphones (even though I understand your reasoning)... I guess you don't want to hear from those of us who feel we "got it right" the first time. Laughing

it's not that i don't want to hear from the people that got it right the first time, it's that the people that got it right the first time, can't ever be sure that they really did. you can't know that yours is the best without at least trying one other. that's why i am refraining from even posting MY opinion. i've only used the MPX200 :)

allenalb
03-28-2005, 12:56 PM
so 3 votes for the Audiovox SMT5600 so far...

busytraveler
04-15-2005, 09:56 AM
Started with MPX200 and then upgraded to the MPX220. I loved the concept of the smartphone/pda combination but was underimpressed with the call quality and reception on the 200. After about a year, I read an article that explained bands and said that the 200 was already obsolete because it could only run on 1800 and 1900 mhz, not the new, more widely used 850. The change to the 220, which is quad band, solved all my call problems like reception, dropped calls, sending, receiving, etc. This 220 with 1.30 rocks.

joan_fl
04-23-2005, 06:14 PM
My vote goes to the Audiovox SMT5600.

8)

hughck
06-19-2005, 03:52 AM
I like flip phones, so I got the mpx220. Had problems with the first one, got an exchange. Seemed to work better, but the volume was very low. Got a third mpx220 in exchange for the second one. This one had 1.30 upgrade. Still low volume, and the mic sometimes did not work. Camera sucks in low light and even in most indoors photography. Cingular exchanged it for the smt5600. Screen is bigger. Some say it is only .2cm bigger by the specs, but the smt5600 uses the whole screen, where the mpx220 had a black border around the screen, therefore making it even smaller. The camera works better on the smt5600 and the volume is great. Overall it is a great phone.

Jerry Raia
06-19-2005, 10:25 PM
I have had both. The 5600 is by far the better of the two even you you love flip phones.