View Full Version : Custom "ringtones" - also for other sounds? (alarm, messages, etc.)

sifaan
03-20-2005, 03:51 AM
Hi!

I have a i-mate SP3i and am trying to customise the ringtones.
The basic ringtone (for calls) can be changed by copying custom files (in my case, .wma) to storage/application data/sounds.

But this custom options don't appear for the other sound categories (e.g. alarm, text message, etc.)

Any idea how I can customise those sounds??

Thanks
Sifaan

Esquire
04-03-2005, 06:31 AM
You can set to your own custom sounds for those events if you place MIDI files in the same folder.

Mark Larson
04-03-2005, 07:29 AM
You can set to your own custom sounds for those events if you place MIDI files in the same folder. So custom sounds mean only MIDI files, not mp3 or wma? That's not so good. You can definitely have .wav in there, because my SMS ringtone is Dogbark.wav. It came included with the phone, so I don't know how to put more ringtones in there.

Esquire
04-03-2005, 08:47 AM
You are right about WAV. The Dogbark.WAV isn't stored in \storage\application data\sounds on my O2 so it doesn't appear in my selection. The system default sounds and ringtones stored in \Windows are MIDIs and WAVs.

You can use WAV too for event sounds, but not MP3 not WMA, at least not on my O2. You simply place your custom sounds and ringtones in \storage\application data\sounds. You can use WAV or WMA for ringtones, but using MP3 will have to depend on your handset.

Mark Larson
04-03-2005, 11:49 AM
It should be fairly trivial to decompress mp3s into wavs and put them in the \Windows directory. Good news!

Mike Temporale
04-03-2005, 01:45 PM
It should be fairly trivial to decompress mp3s into wavs and put them in the \Windows directory. Good news!

Every time you power cycle your handset, any files that you have placed in the Windows folder will be removed. So it's not that easy. :wink: