View Full Version : Differences between sp3 and sp3i?

heavyduty
03-19-2005, 02:06 PM
The sp3i was launched after the sp3, and in my opinion, looks better than the sp3 (although this is subjective....). When it was launched I was under the impression it was an updated version of the sp3, if only esthetically. Yet Expansys Spain sells the sp3i for less than the sp3: 369 € vs. 459 €.

Can anyone here explain this? I've read in the forums at Expansys that the sp3i seems to have a lot of problems with its joystick, so maybe that's the reason.

Like I said, I really prefer the sp3i but the fact that it inexplicably costs less, and many users complain about the joystick, makes me wary about getting one.

Kris Kumar
03-19-2005, 04:57 PM
If you consider the software, SP3 and SP3i are the same, identical. The only exception to this is the SP3i's US version (the 850MHz) which has WMP10. SP3 does not.

Hardware wise, I agree SP3i looks a lot cooler. And I like the keypad and the joystick. I have had it for 4-5 months. The joystick is small, so a bit tricky for users with big thumbs. Also it takes a little getting used to. But then the SP3 also has the same problem with the rocker switch.

If you are a gamer or want to play occassionally. SP3i is definitely the way to go.

And even if you do not play games. I have used both the SP3 rocker and the SP3i joystick. The joystick is far better.

I have heard about the reliability concerns too. But havent had any problems myself. And you must understand that the joystick is more prone to damage (compared to the rocker switch) if you do not handle the phone carefully. That is because the joystick protrudes out of the unit. And can get caught in the pocket trim of your jeans/pants. The other thing to keep in mind is the fact that problems are reported more often. :wink:

keirmeister
03-22-2005, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I've been experiencing the SP3i joystick problem that has come up numerous times. Essentially, it's rather difficult to go down or to the right. The forums on Expansys, I-Mate, Modaco, etc. all have a town of posts about it.

I adore this phone except for this one annoying problem though. If it had QVGA (like the upcoming SDAII) I would have it buried with me.

- Keirmeister