View Full Version : Camera Phones Risk Becoming a Niche Market

Mike Temporale
03-15-2005, 06:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.textually.org/picturephoning/archives/007546.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.textually.org/picturephoning/archives/007546.htm</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Eastman Kodak Co. Chief Executive Dan Carp warned that camera phones could fade into niche obscurity if the industry doesn't improve the quality of the phones and the experience of using them, reports the WSJ. "The largest unmet needs of camera phones are in image quality, battery life and printing capabilities, Mr. Carp said during a keynote presentation at a trade show in New Orleans hosted by CTIA, a wireless industry group. Many consumers find the camera-phone experience "less than satisfying," Mr. Carp said, noting that if the industry chooses to ignore consumer complaints and focuses on new features such as video, it could spell a lost opportunity."</i><br /><br />I have to agree with his comments. I often use my camera phone, however it is almost always for goofing around. I have tried taking pictures to add to my photo albums, but they are just too disappointing. The quality, lighting, and often focus, just are not up to the levels of a real camera (digital or otherwise). If I want a lasting memory, I'll use my Canon S400. 8)

Jerry Raia
03-15-2005, 06:08 PM
I don't know Mike. I like my pictures to be just like my memories. Fuzzy, blurry, vague and out of focus. That's why I take all my pictures with my MPx220!! :crazyeyes:

Bacco
03-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Jerry, you da man!!! :wink:

I on the other hand only use my phone for taking pictures that I end up emailing. They're not meant to be anything lasting or anything that I wish to print. An example was when my wife and daughter were shopping and were about to buy me some shirts. I asked them to take a picture of the shirts and send it to me so I can see the colors. I think camera phones serve a purpose, but it's not to memoralize events with their camera capabilities.

phonemag
03-17-2005, 12:11 AM
Did you say fuzzy, blurry, vaque and out of focus??? Ask and you shall receive. I remember saying this to Motorola:

Damn you Motorola...this is “criminal” of you for integrating such a poorly built camera into the almighty MPx220. It’s a shame that the Audiovox SMT6500’s digital camera is only VGA yet still has a MUCH better quality than the MPx220’s so-called 1.3 mega-pixel camera!

http://www.phonemag.com/index.php/weblog/read_more/10132004_motorola_mpx220_digital_camera/

I don't know Mike. I like my pictures to be just like my memories. Fuzzy, blurry, vague and out of focus. That's why I take all my pictures with my MPx220!! :crazyeyes:

Kris Kumar
03-17-2005, 12:34 AM
...An example was when my wife and daughter were shopping and were about to buy me some shirts. I asked them to take a picture of the shirts and send it to me so I can see the colors. I think camera phones serve a purpose, but it's not to memoralize events with their camera capabilities.

Now that is definitely putting the camera on the phone to a good use. 8)

Since I am shopping for a house, I have been using it to snap pictures of the house, so that we can analyze it later.

Mike Temporale
03-17-2005, 02:43 AM
Since I am shopping for a house, I have been using it to snap pictures of the house, so that we can analyze it later.

If you're talking about the inside of the house, you're not allowed to do that. I'm not saying that I've never done it. Just that technically, you're not allowed to take pictures without the consent of the home owner. :)

Kris Kumar
03-17-2005, 03:32 AM

If you're talking about the inside of the house, you're not allowed to do that. I'm not saying that I've never done it. Just that technically, you're not allowed to take pictures without the consent of the home owner. :)

Forgot to mention I have done that only with realtors consent. And also, only in cases when the house is empty. I do not even bother to ask if the owners are living and have their stuff scattered around. ;-)