View Full Version : How The Future Sounds

Kris Kumar
03-12-2005, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.thefeature.com/article?articleid=101463' target='_blank'>http://www.thefeature.com/article?articleid=101463</a><br /><br /></div><i>"As users lose their fascination with imaging and embedded digital cameras, the industry is turning back to the basics of audio for differentiation. While some scramble to combine music players with phones, a clever few are focusing on improving the overall quality of the sound itself. The result is a slew of sound-driven services sure to push the envelope. ... Predictably, Asia's enthusiasm for 3D sound and content is spreading to markets in Europe and the US. But the excitement is about more than another phone feature; it's about a subtle but powerful shift in the way content will be marketed and consumed."</i><br /><br />Peggy Anne Salz from TheFeature is talking mobile phones with 3D positional audio, P2P social networking skills, and mobile games that lets you feel your way through the scene. It makes for a very interesting weekend reading. To me it explains why people get excited by the rumored iPod phone. It's all about quality and differentiation. So how does the future sound to you?

stugotsn
03-12-2005, 08:29 PM
No kidding, a phone is made for talking! What emoticon should I use to designate scorn and disdain for the marketing and industry wags who ignored this for five years, and now will get credit for this brilliant insight?

My metro area has 1.5MM inhabitants on any given day. I spent $400 on my new phone. It's insane that I have poor sound with crackling, breakups, etc. And don't get me started on dropped calls or chopped words.

As a technology, cellular phones stink, and we have accepted horrible performance in the area that is the very reason we have a phone for far too long.

Can you hear me now?

Kris Kumar
03-12-2005, 09:39 PM
No kidding, a phone is made for talking! What emoticon should I use to designate scorn and disdain for the marketing and industry wags who ignored this for five years, and now will get credit for this brilliant insight?

:rotfl:

Lately I have been getting great reception and the phone has great voice quality. So I guess I totally forgot about the general perception of cell phones and how it used to be. Thanks for reminding me that there was a time when I could do everything with my phone except use it as a phone. :lol: I agree, the carriers and manufacturers must focus their energies on voice quality and service.

But then a lot of the customers nowadays want flashy phones, with cool features and &lt;cough> smartness. And I guess thats where these phones with 3D positional audio etc come in.

Kris Kumar
03-13-2005, 03:51 AM
Now here is an interesting news report..

Music, TV and Photos to Lead at Mobile Phone Show (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&amp;cid=581&amp;e=2&amp;u=/nm/20050311/tc_nm/telecoms_ctia_dc)
Cellphones loaded with features such as TV, music and wireless photo printing will abound at this year's biggest U.S. wireless exposition but the key will be to separate the next hit from the gimmicks.

So looks like more gimmicks. :-)

It seems that the phone manufacturers have reached a limit in terms of core phone features, and have to implement these new functionalities. Wish the carriers would work hard and improve the coverage and call quality.