View Full Version : Cellphone Radiation: Is it Really Harmful?

Mike Temporale
03-12-2005, 03:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.washington.edu/alumni/columns/march05/wakeupcall01.html' target='_blank'>http://www.washington.edu/alumni/columns/march05/wakeupcall01.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Henry Lai has a vivid recollection of his introduction to the politics of big science. It was 1994, and he had just received a message from the National Institutes of Health, which was funding work he was doing on the effects of microwave radiation, similar to that emitted by cellular phones, on the brain. He and UW colleague Narendra “N.P.” Singh had results indicating that the radiation could cause DNA damage in brain cells. The news was apparently unwelcome in some quarters. Someone had called the NIH to report that Lai was misusing his research funding by doing work not specified in the grant (the grant didn’t mention DNA). And the agency wanted to know what was going on."</i><br /><br />This is a very interesting article about the politics around research grants and the effect it's having on cellphone radiation testing. It would appear that big business is doing all it can to discredit any research that might threaten their revenue stream. In all fairness, this article might be a little bias towards the Universities, and government grants (The article is from the University of Washington's Alumni Association). I'm sure the handset manufacturers are looking out for their consumers. After all, it might be a larger impact to their revenue stream if we all started to drop like flies. ;) So, what do you think? Are we slowly rotting our brains?

vincenzosi
03-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Has anyone noticed that the studies that say it's harmful all come from universities through the grant process or something similar, yet the studies that say it isn't all come from the wireless industry?

One with no vested interest saying it is, and one with a vested interest saying it isn't.

Kinda makes you wonder...

Kris Kumar
03-12-2005, 04:29 PM
Are we slowly rotting our brains?

Hunh..what was the question? :lol:

I think we have so much wireless stuff in our homes, offices and shops. That having a cellphone for me does not cause much concern. And I don't make that many voice calls, so don't really hold it against my brain that much. :wink: That is dumb excuse...hunh..maybe the cellphone and other wireless gear is affecting my brain. :-)

Jerry Raia
03-12-2005, 11:24 PM
You guys are just being silly. I have this all figured out. Before I make a cell phone call, I just wrap aluminum foil around my head. It also keeps the aliens from abducting me so I kill two birds with one stone!

I know I know, you are asking yourselves, how does he know all this? It's a gift. :mrgreen: