View Full Version : AuthenTec Releases Biometric Fingerprint Sensor for Mobile Phones

Jason Dunn
03-10-2005, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.authentec.com/news/news.cfm?article=125' target='_blank'>http://www.authentec.com/news/news.cfm?article=125</a><br /><br /></div><i>"AuthenTec, the world leader in fingerprint sensor innovation and sales for more than five years, today introduced its new EntréPad 1510 -- the world’s smallest, most powerful and versatile biometric fingerprint sensor, which combines high level security with a host of touch-powered features and functions for cell phones. The sensor is available today and already is being designed into several cell phones scheduled to be unveiled later this year. The tiny, low-cost sensor is the first to feature AuthenTec’s “The Power of Touch”™ approach, which enhances the overall consumer electronics experience by extending biometric technology beyond secure user authentication to take full advantage of the power of touch. AuthenTec’s EntréPad 1510 enables cell phone manufacturers to easily incorporate compelling new features and functions that are controlled at the simple touch or swipe of your finger."</i><br /><br />Now here's an interesting development! This press release mentions that this product supports Windows Mobile, which must mean there's a way that the product can hook into the OS and unlock the phone. This would certainly make phone security a reality, because while I usually have password protection on my Pocket PC, I've never seen anyone that has had any type of password protection on their phone. My one concern would be about placement - remember this is supposed to be a one-handed device, so the question is where would an OEM put the fingerprint scanner? You wouldn't want to have to hold the phone in one hand while running your thumb from the other hand over the sensor.

Mike Temporale
03-11-2005, 04:47 AM
8O Cool... I say that they should build the sensor into the top of the joystick or power button. That way you should be able to use it with just one hand. :D