View Full Version : Man Dies Typing SMS Message While Driving

Mike Temporale
03-11-2005, 04:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/NEWSV5/storyV5oncellwreck08.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/NEWSV5/storyV5oncellwreck08.htm</a><br /><br /></div><i>"A Tennessee man who was typing a text message on his cell phone as he traveled south on Interstate 65 died when he lost control of his pickup, which overturned as it went down an embankment, authorities said."</i><br /><br /> :twak: Come on people, put the phone down while driving! For that matter, put down the cheeseburger, pop, coffee, newspaper, or whatever it is you're doing, and focus on the road. :evil: Thankfully, no one else was hurt in this accident.

vincenzosi
03-11-2005, 05:28 AM
Okay, I have to admit I check my email when stopped at red lights, but the second that light turns, the phone goes back on the seat next to me. Although I have a friend who was messaging me on his Blackberry on a trip up to Baltimore from Georgia and he was doing 85 on the highway.

Some people have strong constitutions, I guess.

Darius Wey
03-11-2005, 07:45 AM
Disappointing. :(

We've had many cases of "SMS while driving" related deaths in WA, not to mention the number of "phone calling while driving" related deaths too.

It's got to the point where in WA, you are now forbidden to use your phone whilst driving, unless you have your phone connected to a hands-free or on loudspeaker. There aren't any laws here governing SMSing whilst driving though, but that would be too hard to monitor anyway.

Jerry Raia
03-11-2005, 10:05 AM
This is about Darwinism folks. These things happen to keep the gene pool clean.

chucky.egg
03-11-2005, 10:16 AM
In the UK it's illegal to hold a mobile phone whilst using it for any voice or data services. "Even" holding the phone against your ear with your shoulder counts as holding it. Handsfree kit or nothing basically.

With voice control functions you could still legally (if not safely) drive and dictate messages, have emails read to you etc.

But are we *really* that busy? Or is it just selfishness and "it wont happen to me" mentalities.

This is the only area where I think mobiles actually have an adverse effect on our lives (I don't buy into the cancer/mutation/brain damage scares about antenna masts)

Mike Temporale
03-11-2005, 11:59 AM
But are we *really* that busy? Or is it just selfishness and "it wont happen to me" mentalities.

Good point, I think this is a big part of it. :(

Bacco
03-11-2005, 01:09 PM

I love it. Spoken like a true Taltos Lasher 8)

Jonathon Watkins
03-11-2005, 02:01 PM

Good point, I think this is a big part of it. :(

Bingo. It's "the law applies to everyome else but me" syndrome. :? It's seen across so many areas of life.

Number 6
03-11-2005, 03:29 PM
In the UK it's illegal to hold a mobile phone whilst using it for any voice or data services. "Even" holding the phone against your ear with your shoulder counts as holding it. Handsfree kit or nothing basically.

A while back they tried to pass a similar law in Rhode Island but the governor at the time vetoed it. His reasoning was people can do a lot of dangerous things while driving why pass a law to single out phones? He didn't argue that phone use while driving is demonstrably dangerous but "Hey! we can do other dangerous, distracting things while driving also, might as well let them use phones also." That was a line of reasoning that totally escaped me. Sure people do a lot of dangerous things while driving, shaving, reading the newspaper, putting on makeup and those things should be illegal also, but IMHO making one less thing legal for people to do while driving is at least a start.

Mike Temporale
03-11-2005, 03:57 PM
A while back they tried to pass a similar law in Rhode Island but the governor at the time vetoed it. His reasoning was people can do a lot of dangerous things while driving why pass a law to single out phones? He didn't argue that phone use while driving is demonstrably dangerous but "Hey! we can do other dangerous, distracting things while driving also, might as well let them use phones also." That was a line of reasoning that totally escaped me. Sure people do a lot of dangerous things while driving, shaving, reading the newspaper, putting on makeup and those things should be illegal also, but IMHO making one less thing legal for people to do while driving is at least a start.

I would agree with him. A law to fight 1 of many issues is a waste of everyone's time. A better law should be drafted saying "doing ANYTHING while driving is illegal." Focusing on 1 issue may stop or slow the number of people doing that, but it does nothing to the thousands of cheesburger totting, newspaper reading, make-up applying people out there. You can't draft a law for each and every one of these activities. Something more general has to be passed. :)

possmann
03-11-2005, 05:55 PM
it's interesting when you think about it - talking on the phone while driving is somehow more distracting than talking to someone else physically sitting in the car with you as you are driving...

What about those women that put on makeup while merging? Now THAT is really scary...

ricksfiona
03-11-2005, 08:08 PM

Amen to that.

Like someone else said, it pisses me off when I see women doing their makeup while driving or even worse, reading something.

Jerry Raia
03-11-2005, 08:18 PM
I say...
Let the system work! :twisted:

Number 6
03-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Like someone else said, it pisses me off when I see women doing their makeup while driving or even worse, reading something.

What I really found scary was when I see people on the highway in the morning rush hour communting to work looking down to read the morning newspaper and only glancing up on occasion to make sure they're still on the road. 8O

Jerry Raia
03-11-2005, 09:23 PM
hey at least they are glancing :lol:

David Horn
03-11-2005, 10:57 PM

With voice control functions you could still legally (if not safely) drive and dictate messages, have emails read to you etc.

This is the only area where I think mobiles actually have an adverse effect on our lives (I don't buy into the cancer/mutation/brain damage scares about antenna masts)

The interesting thing is, you're allowed to touch the phone to answer a call, but a loophole does technically allow you to send text messages while driving, provided you just prod buttons.

Mind you, I daresay the Boys in Blue would get you for driving without due care and attention...

Kris Kumar
03-12-2005, 01:57 AM
I used to have this bad habit of checking emails while driving. :evil: But now I am a reformed person. 8)